Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pronunciation difficulties

Pronunciation difficulties

Old May 30th 2012, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pronunciation difficulties

i never really experienced any problems when i came over for my interview with people understanding me.

possibly because i'm relatively well spoken?
Old May 30th 2012, 9:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
i never really experienced any problems when i came over for my interview with people understanding me.

Well, one would hope that the interviewers had relevant vocabulary and I expect being from Ayrshire is better than from Glasgow, but an interview is not the same as everyday life.

BTW, Jimmy, did you get the job?
Old May 30th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Long may it continue

I find myself having to put on Canadian accent for people to understand me
Old May 30th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really nice

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
Long may it continue

I find myself having to put on Canadian accent for people to understand me
The British accent is so nice. Love it!
Old May 30th 2012, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lf1
I haven't been told that I am not pronouncing it properly, but I have to repeat myself, several times, when I say "thirty". "Earls" is another one where I am misunderstood. I think it is because I am Scottish and rrrrolll
my rrrr's.
If you're anything like me... "therty"

The ir in thirty and the ear in earl rhyme in lots of dialects, including Scottish English. The ear in earl in Canadian English rhymes with the ur in curl, but those don't rhyme in Scottish English (at least not in my own dialect?). And that is probably what is causing your problem. They're expecting earl to rhyme with curl, and thirty to therefore come out something like thurty (rhyming with dirty).

The rrrr's are probably the least of our problems, at least we pronounce ours!

Last edited by Deficient; May 30th 2012 at 11:10 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

I keep getting asked if I'm Australian and I'm bloody welsh!!! Not valley Welsh but guttural North Walian Welsh. My OH is talks like Hugh Grant and I've noticed the swoons from shop assistants.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

No, it will still happen. You will get misunderstood at some point or another. I have a Home Counties accent which I think is reasonably straightforward to understand, and for the most part I am understood here, although the water/waader still gets 'em everytime. I had a phone converation the other day though that did take me by surprise, it went something like this - I can't remember her surname, but the first name was definitely Sophie:

Them: "Good morning, Suchnsuch company, how may I direct your call?"
Me: "Can I speak to Sophie Smith please?"
THem: "I'm sorry?"
Me: "Can I speak to Sophie....Smith please?"
Them: "How are you spelling that?"
Me: "Sophie....S.O.P.H.I.E....Smith....S.M.I.T.H."
Them: "Oh Sophie, oh ok......<looks up extension> putting you through."
Old May 30th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
I keep getting asked if I'm Australian and I'm bloody welsh!!! Not valley Welsh but guttural North Walian Welsh. My OH is talks like Hugh Grant and I've noticed the swoons from shop assistants.
The Aussie thing doesn't happen that often......well to me at least. I'd say probably 1 in 20 comments, but I have learnt now that sometimes it's fun to say 'Yes I am Australian'. I had a sales assistant in a clothing store at the weekend look at me wide eyed and almost incredulously (which is freaky) and then say 'are you from Britain?'.....'Yes, yes, I am', and then he kind of smiled and said 'wow' and kept smiling and looking.......I think the time has passed that I will ever be famous, but I imagine that this is how a z-list celebrity might feel when asked by random members of the public if they are Keith Harris etc.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
The Aussie thing doesn't happen that often......well to me at least. I'd say probably 1 in 20 comments, but I have learnt now that sometimes it's fun to say 'Yes I am Australian'. I had a sales assistant in a clothing store at the weekend look at me wide eyed and almost incredulously (which is freaky) and then say 'are you from Britain?'.....'Yes, yes, I am', and then he kind of smiled and said 'wow' and kept smiling and looking.......I think the time has passed that I will ever be famous, but I imagine that this is how a z-list celebrity might feel when asked by random members of the public if they are Keith Harris etc.
Was he fit? Haha I would have totally hammed up my accent to Keira Knightly levels if he was! An ex of mine got blown out for Keith Harris in a nightclub. I don't think he ever got over it....
Old May 30th 2012, 11:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I live in a village (they refer to as a town) called Cheltenham

here they say it Chel -ten -ham

as apposed to the more familar english chelt-num
Don't even go there - I have had so many frustrating moments trying to explain how to pronounce town names, sigh.

Reminds me of this Peter Sellers skit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aK8w2910c

Last edited by Siouxie; May 31st 2012 at 12:00 am.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Don't even go there - I have had so many frustrating moments trying to explain how to pronounce town names, sigh.

Reminds me of this Peter Sellers skit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aK8w2910c

That takes me back to my childhood. "Green, Red, Red and Amber and back to Green" is a phrase I've never forgotten.

I'm a bit strange.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:40 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deficient
If you're anything like me... "therty"

The ir in thirty and the ear in earl rhyme in lots of dialects, including Scottish English. The ear in earl in Canadian English rhymes with the ur in curl, but those don't rhyme in Scottish English (at least not in my own dialect?). And that is probably what is causing your problem. They're expecting earl to rhyme with curl, and thirty to therefore come out something like thurty (rhyming with dirty).

The rrrr's are probably the least of our problems, at least we pronounce ours!
How rrrrright you are. I cannot bring myself to say Thurday or urls. It just doesn't right to my ear. I usually end up saying "three zero" just to clarify things, especially if money is involved, being a Scot and all...... LOL
Old May 31st 2012, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

The one that gets me is the Ontarion pronounciation of 'Tottenham'. I think it goes like: 'Toat-in-harm' or something like that. Given that I'm a Spurs fan this one always makes me chuckle. Then again, round North London way we used to pronounce this 'yeeeeeeiiids' so swings and roundabouts.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:52 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by London Mike
The one that gets me is the Ontarion pronounciation of 'Tottenham'. I think it goes like: 'Toat-in-harm' or something like that. Given that I'm a Spurs fan this one always makes me chuckle. Then again, round North London way we used to pronounce this 'yeeeeeeiiids' so swings and roundabouts.
I call your Toat-in-harm and raise a Kes-wick.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:53 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyManitoba
The British accent is so nice. Love it!
WHAT, all of them? Surely there is no such thing as a British accent. There are hundreds of accents in Britain and quite a few are horrible. I come from Glasgow but never did have a Glesgae accent such as wurrum for worm or whit ya dain. I've made a concerted effort over the years to disguise my origins with, I hope, a modicum of success.
I hate Glaswegian speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.