PCness gone MAD?!!

Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:45 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PCness gone MAD?!!

Originally Posted by dbd33
He's not "playing the race card" by standing around being black. Would you have the candidates campaign in hoods so as to eliminate race as a factor?
How is he 'black'? He's mother is white his father (as far as we are aware) a 'black' Kenyan. That is mixed race.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Thanks Mandy, just proved my point. Barack is as much white as he is black ('white' mother\'black' father). You made a judgement of his heritage and labeled him based on his skin colour and facial features. Way to go girl, how NON-racist of you.:rofl:

Might have been said in jest but you w*****r how dare you call me that :curse: you sweetheart can f**k RIGHT off
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How is he 'black'?
Hmmmm, let me think.....

Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How is he 'black'? He's mother is white his father (as far as we are aware) a 'black' Kenyan. That is mixed race.
In US politics anyone who is not obviously white is black. It doesn't matter if he's a quadroon or octaroon a Eurasian or whatever, if he doesn't look white, and Obama plainly does not, he's black. Oreo maybe but politically black.

on edit, Thanks Iain!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

In US politics anyone who is not obviously white is black. It doesn't matter if he's a quadroon or octaroon a Eurasian or whatever, if he doesn't look white, and Obama plainly does not, he's black. Oreo maybe but politically black.

on edit, Thanks Iain!
So where do hispanics, asians, east indians, cree, navajo etc fit in that system?????.

My original point was (and still is) that we all make judgements based on appearances and thus far MMC, Iain and yourself are all backing me up.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So where do hispanics, asians, east indians, cree, navajo etc fit in that system?????
Native aboriginal indian people have no place in the system.

Hispanics are Hispanics.

Asians, in the US sense, are Asians.

People from the Indian sub-continent are not (yet) important in US politics.

But then you know this. The really important identifiable groups are whites, blacks, Jews and Hispanics. Obama's the candidate because he's black, he loses the Democrats some Jewish and Hispanic votes but may retain the black vote and expand the white one.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:04 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

That might not be political correctness. It used to annoy me that my kids would send me to pick up their friends from crowded places describing them only as "the tall girl" or similar rather than "the tall black girl" but eventually I came to realise that they've always been surrounded by people of various colours and they just don't notice it. Colour is not an identifying feature to them.
But if you had to find that same girl as a police officer because either she is a criminal or a target of a criminal then the use of the word 'black' may or may not depending on where you are at that time eliminate so many people from your search. Would this mean that all police officers are racist because they need to be quick?

I understand what you are saying though and it does need to be taught to the new generation but taring everybody a racist because they use race as a description just isn't fair...Much like if i said 'that fat woman' it may not be nice and there are better ways of saying it but it is true none the less.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

My original point was (and still is) that we all make judgements based on appearances and thus far MMC, Iain and yourself are all backing me up.
I'm not backing you up in the sense of saying that I judge people by their colour.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by livermanl
But if you had to find that same girl as a police officer because either she is a criminal or a target of a criminal then the use of the word 'black' may or may not depending on where you are at that time eliminate so many people from your search. Would this mean that all police officers are racist because they need to be quick?
That girl is not about to become a police officer. Since she has been working in a hospital primarily dealing with gun shot wounds she has developed a greater fear of the police than I've ever had.

On point, the police here are not allowed to describe a suspect by colour, I expect they do so amongst themselves but I've no way of knowing if that helps them or not.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
Banned

I'm not backing you up in the sense of saying that I judge people by their colour.
Ah, but you are 'judging' his heritage and racial designation by appearance. (and yes self-identification I will concede)
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Ah, but you are 'judging' his heritage and racial designation by appearance. (and yes self-identification I will concede)
Assessing his heritage isn't forming a judgement about him unless one holds a prejudice concerning people of that heritage. I don't think black people are anything in particular except black.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Now you are offending me. How am I making any sort of judgement based on his appearance?

You might be doing that, I certainly am not. "Black" in this sense is simply and adjective that describes what he looks like, not what he is capable of, or anything else about him other than his appearance.

[on edit] ^^^What he said!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Now you are offending me. How am I making any sort of judgement based on his appearance?

You might be doing that, I certainly am not. "Black" in this sense is simply and adjective that describes what he looks like, not what he is capable of, or anything else about him other than his appearance.

[on edit] ^^^What he said!
No offence was meant Iain.
I merely meant that 'we' are 'allowing' people to be labelled based on appearance.
To extend my earlier argument with reference to West Indians (talking area of birth only here) I would suggest that there are few people in the world who could claim to be 100% of one 'nation'. Therefore why do we need to label based on 'race'. It is not a matter of being PC it is a matter of accepting 'humanity' and moral values as more relevant than the colour of your skin, the church you worship in and the way you vote.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

On point, the police here are not allowed to describe a suspect by colour, I expect they do so amongst themselves but I've no way of knowing if that helps them or not.
I hope you're exaggerating, dbd33. A person's skin colour is a primary piece of identification, in exactly the same manner as gender, height, build, hair colour. No more, no less.

If the cops aren't allowed to use skin colour in this manner, then I suggest that someone needs to be told to stop being so damned hyper-sensitive.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I hope you're exaggerating, dbd33. A person's skin colour is a primary piece of identification, in exactly the same manner as gender, height, build, hair colour. No more, no less.

If the cops aren't allowed to use skin colour in this manner, then I suggest that someone needs to be told to stop being so damned hyper-sensitive.
What DB said is correct in the sense that police are not allowed to use the words black/white...but they can say caucasion lol spelling and the like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.