PCness gone MAD?!!

Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:33 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default PCness gone MAD?!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7493654.stm
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:55 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PCness gone MAD?!!

I blame the teachers
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and it would have been good if the writer of the book actually had a brain!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

OMG where do they get things like that. they say that a toddler hasnt the developmental capability to share but can be racist. whats it coming to.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:17 am

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

My three year old will say 'yuck' to almost all food put in front of her...

Enlightened in knowledge that I have probably bred a racist another failing of my parenting skills comes to light!

Lorraine G
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LorraineG
My three year old will say 'yuck' to almost all food put in front of her...

Enlightened in knowledge that I have probably bred a racist another failing of my parenting skills comes to light!

Lorraine G
Me to then
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:06 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I blame the teachers
I blame the last tory govt.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:48 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Ha this is NOT news to me -
I can give 2 examples of incidents that I know of - one was a a friend of mines son who is now 7, was 5 atthe time in Reception class - His mum got called into school for her son making Racist comments ( she is far from racist) she was informed that her son had called another child a Paki and that as a result his name would be placed on a 'racist' register throughout his school time - yes right up to leaving at 16 / 18 - the school board and eduction board were involved and she felt awful. When she got home she spoke to her 5 yr old and he was adamant all he had said was " are you from Pakistani" ( yes the work pakistani was used not Pakistan - not my error) - she went back to the school and played hell - wanted to know who had heard him use the work Paki - the evidence had come from another 5 yr old who had gone to the teacher and said along the lines of " awwww Tom called ' name unknown' a paki" THAT was the evidence the Teachers had acted on and this childs name had been placed on a RAcist register at 5 years old!!!! - needless to say she contested it and they removed his name - with a very stern warning about if there were other incidents it would go on and stay on - obviously there havent been but she says that she hates going to the school for anything now as she feels they look at her like SHE is a racist.

The other is another friend of mine ( opposite story now) her daughter is half Turkish, born and raised in UK now aged 11. Yas is a stunning girl with olive skin and very long black hair. She has never seen herself a being any different to anyone else. About 3 weeks ago her Mum called me quite stunned - she had been called into school by the staff - She was sat down by the headmaster and appologised to over and over - he explained that Yas had been called a 'Paki' by two girls in her class during an argument. he went on to explain that they had called the Education Board immediately and that both girls parents were being interviewd as they spoke. He asked if this was ok with her, and had they acted quick enough - she sort of sat there a bit blank and said 'yes'. The following day they informed her that both girls had been put on the 'racist register' and asked again if she was happy with the outcome.
My friend wasnt sure what to make of it all - her daughter was fine, far to street wise and secure in herself to give a hoot about what they had said - she just said they were stupid coz she wasn't pakistani, she was English. Tracey felt that this register was a bit much.

Dont get me wrong I know they have to do something to stop racism - but to put a 5 yr old on a racist register is a bit much!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:11 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness that is insanse! I wouldn't be a teacher for all the money in the world though - they must have to walk such a fine line nowadays with all this PC rubbish.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arrona
OMG where do they get things like that. they say that a toddler hasnt the developmental capability to share but can be racist. whats it coming to.
A racist utterance from a toddler suggests a racist home environment, that's all, nothing there to get in a tizzy about.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:34 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Its quite obviously true though, if a 3 year old wont eat Brussels sprouts they are racist toward Belgium people, and Swedes, well they are so blond and beautiful we all hate them.

I started our on Vindaloos (extra hot) at age 6 months, just because I didn't want them to be racist.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:36 pm
God

NickyP84 will become famous soon enoughNickyP84 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't agree there......

Children are exactly that; children, and they repeat things. I can remember saying the same kind of thing to a black kid in my primary school class when I was about 5 or 6 and I most certainly wasn't brought up in a rascist household.

The UK is in dire straights at the minute and the race issue is a card that is played far too easily these days.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I started our on Vindaloos (extra hot) at age 6 months, just because I didn't want them to be racist.
That would just get you noisy and smelly evacuations. Teaching the child not to eat curry because it's the food of a lesser race would be more likely to produce the kind of comments and behaviour mentioned in the, admittedly trivial, article.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:51 pm
God

NickyP84 will become famous soon enoughNickyP84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
if a 3 year old wont eat Brussels sprouts they are racist toward Belgium people
Please god tell me you're joking
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A racist utterance from a toddler suggests a racist home environment, that's all, nothing there to get in a tizzy about.
I don't think it does necessarily suggest a racist home environment, and it's that kind of assumption that can lead (as Tanah relates) to children being placed unnecessarily on a "racist register" to follow them all through their schooling. It's just as likely that either a comment was misheard, or that the child has picked up a word without understanding its meaning, or connotation, as part of the process of learning language.

Kids call each other all sorts of things without understanding the meaning of the words themselves. Take another form of insult as an example. Every successive euphemism for physical or mental handicap has been adopted as a schoolyard insult almost before it has been dreamed up by politicians. When I was a kid the insult of choice was "spazz" or occasionally "flid;" my younger sister's peers had adopted "special;" my Canadian nephews insulted each other by suggesting they travelled on the "short school bus;" I humbly suggest that kids of 5 or 6 don't really understand the nature of the insult they're using, they're just using it because they've heard it elsewhere (as likely in the playground or on TV as from a parent or older sibling).

I agree, though, that there's "nothing there to get in a tizzy about."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.