PCness gone MAD?!!

Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PCness gone MAD?!!

How about this one from a different thread...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ray-Allah.html

Sorry, I realise its the Daily Mail...feel free to wash your hands after clicking on the link

As another poster likes to say..."Discuss"
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Butch just got back to reading this - why would you want me to answer the question about Obama specifically

Why would you need to point out someones ethnic background - the guy is Obama Barack politician, famous for what he does not what colour he is - the same as you say Albert Einstein scientist, or Mandymoochops BE member!!???
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:17 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but a couple of months ago I watched a boxing match from Las Vagas on TV.

It was a black guy fighting a white guy, but the commentators said, "...and tonight it's XXX versus YYY. Since they're both wearing black trunks, XXX is they guy with a shaved head, while YYY has a full head of hair."

Ridiculous. Just because we adults are too fearful of causing offence to admit to noticing something as blindingly obvious as someone's skin colour, should children be conditioned into pretending they don't notice?

It's one thing to teach that it doesn't make any difference, but it's quite another to teach that it can't even be mentioned.

"People of colour" makes me want to retch. We're ALL "people of colour". Just different ones.

I HEAR YA! Does my head in all this, all I try and do is not cause offence, and still manage to by accident.

Mrs M x
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
the guy is Obama Barack politician, famous for what he does not what colour he is -
You think?

What exactly has he done anyway, other than become the first "black" candidate to be nominated to run for president?

Sure, he makes good speeches, but he's only been in the senate one term, so it's hard to say what he has actually acheived. He is, like it or not, going to be notable because of his ethnicity, just as Hillary would have been notable for her gender, to ignore that is to pretend the elephant isnt standing in the room.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I hear what you're saying and not trying to avoid the "elephant" as it were - but my point is as Barack is a black guy and Hilary a white woman - why discuss the ethnic background of either one, they both had to come from somewhere???

I don't give a monkeys about what their political standpoint is thats not up for discussion, all I know is that he was running against Hilary and yes he is black.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I don't give a monkeys about what their political standpoint is thats not up for discussion, all I know is that he was running against Hilary and yes he is black.
You are a bit behind there He's beaten Hillary, and is running against John McCain (an old white man, if that matters)

Surely its the political standpoint thats should be the only important thing...not that it will be of course...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

why discuss the ethnic background of either one, they both had to come from somewhere???
Because ethnic voting blocks are important in Presidential elections. Obama's blackness or lack thereof is a factor is relevant to his job. If he was a dentist that'd be another thing.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:17 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
How about this one from a different thread...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ray-Allah.html

Sorry, I realise its the Daily Mail...feel free to wash your hands after clicking on the link

As another poster likes to say..."Discuss"
Oh my!!!!!!!!!

Im sorry if I upset anyone, but I would have been furious if my child had been given detention for this reason!! and I'm not surprised they went to the press.

I myself am not of Christian Faith, so it has nothing to do with me or my kids being of this background ( kids are christian) but i would not allow myself to be forced to pray to any other God and I wouldnt expect my children to either. Again no offense, but I can imagine there being a much bigger upraor if a Muslim child had been forced to pray to God. ( Christian God)

My kids learn about all faiths at school, my daughter is currently looking at Hinduism and as part of this they look at Indian culture, background, Country and even have an Indian 'food tasting' day - i think this has been brilliantly put together and greatly encourages acceptance and understanding of other cultures and religions. Forcing children to partake in religious practices that are not their own, does not. It creates anger and resistance which is exactly what has happened here.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Butch just got back to reading this - why would you want me to answer the question about Obama specifically

Why would you need to point out someones ethnic background - the guy is Obama Barack politician, famous for what he does not what colour he is - the same as you say Albert Einstein scientist, or Mandymoochops BE member!!???
What I am trying to point in (in a VERY convoluted way I admit) is that we ALL judge and classify people initially by the colour of their skin and facial features. EG ALL but a few people from the West Indies are considered 'Black' where as in reality the majority would (like Obama) be of mixed race. Obama, however, IS playing the race card (as did Clinton) as will McCain.
I would NEVER claim I wasnt racist\sexist\agist in so much as I do make judgements based on all these factors. HOWEVER, i do not and would not discriminate based on these factors.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:43 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I hear what you're saying and not trying to avoid the "elephant" as it were - but my point is as Barack is a black guy and Hilary a white woman - why discuss the ethnic background of either one, they both had to come from somewhere???

Thanks Mandy, just proved my point. Barack is as much white as he is black ('white' mother\'black' father). You made a judgement of his heritage and labeled him based on his skin colour and facial features. Way to go girl, how NON-racist of you.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Thanks Mandy, just proved my point. Barack is as much white as he is black ('white' mother\'black' father). You made a judgement of his heritage and labeled him based on his skin colour and facial features. Way to go girl, how NON-racist of you.
Obama identifies himself as a black candidate. It's not racist or un-PC to go along with people's self-identification.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
Obama identifies himself as a black candidate. It's not racist or un-PC to go along with people's self-identification.
Which takes us back to him playing the race card. I could claim to be a member of the Dutch Royal family. It makes me neither Dutch nor 'Royal'.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:32 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but a couple of months ago I watched a boxing match from Las Vagas on TV.

It was a black guy fighting a white guy, but the commentators said, "...and tonight it's XXX versus YYY. Since they're both wearing black trunks, XXX is they guy with a shaved head, while YYY has a full head of hair."

Ridiculous. Just because we adults are too fearful of causing offence to admit to noticing something as blindingly obvious as someone's skin colour, should children be conditioned into pretending they don't notice?

It's one thing to teach that it doesn't make any difference, but it's quite another to teach that it can't even be mentioned.

"People of colour" makes me want to retch. We're ALL "people of colour". Just different ones.
am with you on this one - so worried about offending people - was at school telling one of the mums that they needed to speek to Carol, another mum . . .oh which one is Carol she says - me being v politically correct says - you know - larger lady, 3 girls, twins in yr 6 etc. . . No dont know says lady..

you know - lives in xxxx road , , , , older daughter at so and so school

OH she says - you mean the black lady!!

why didnt you just say the black lady in yr 6 she said!

doh doh doh !
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Which takes us back to him playing the race card. I could claim to be a member of the Dutch Royal family. It makes me neither Dutch nor 'Royal'.
He's not "playing the race card" by standing around being black. Would you have the candidates campaign in hoods so as to eliminate race as a factor?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
am with you on this one - so worried about offending people - was at school telling one of the mums that they needed to speek to Carol, another mum . . .oh which one is Carol she says - me being v politically correct says - you know - larger lady, 3 girls, twins in yr 6 etc. . . No dont know says lady..

you know - lives in xxxx road , , , , older daughter at so and so school

OH she says - you mean the black lady!!

why didnt you just say the black lady in yr 6 she said!

doh doh doh !
That might not be political correctness. It used to annoy me that my kids would send me to pick up their friends from crowded places describing them only as "the tall girl" or similar rather than "the tall black girl" but eventually I came to realise that they've always been surrounded by people of various colours and they just don't notice it. Colour is not an identifying feature to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.