Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 11th 2016, 2:57 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

I like AirAlaska. I agree with JG re the common attitude of US cabin crew- over the hill, rough, surly and attitude changes as soon as stepping outside 1st class/ business areas. AC crews are unfortunately a bit miserable.Westjet on the other hand are generally way more fun
Old Sep 11th 2016, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found the opposite. Alaska Airlines had always been pleasant and for that they are my primary choice. Westjet I will never fly again.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I like AirAlaska. I agree with JG re the common attitude of US cabin crew- over the hill, rough, surly and attitude changes as soon as stepping outside 1st class/ business areas. AC crews are unfortunately a bit miserable.Westjet on the other hand are generally way more fun
Old Sep 11th 2016, 3:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have found the opposite. Alaska Airlines had always been pleasant and for that they are my primary choice. Westjet I will never fly again.
I flew Alaska Airlines a week ago...same as AC IMO.

I agree...I will never fly WJ again.

Have to say I hate the use of tablets vs in seat screens...especially on a night flight.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 4:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
SOME things are cheaper at Costco, but not everything.
For me thats 3 tubs of Greek Yoghurt (700g each) for $10 - they are around $4 each at the grocery store

Strewberries (2lb) - currently $4 compared to superstore $5.50 - and superstore dont keep their strewberries in a refridgerated area so they look manky.

Cheese!!!!!! - real Welsh chedder (450g) for just over $10 - when I went back to the UK the same brand was comparative in price in Tesco and thats without the shipping costs.

i also get a big bag of spinach for $3 and goats cheese for $9 (600g)

I useally buy my other fruit and veg from superstore as I get the points but those are the main things I get from costco.

My cost co memebership is linked to the UK as my mother uses a card from my account but when i was there, I was only buying something once or twice a month - i found cost-co expensive in the UK compared to the supermarkets but then again there are more price wars and I did my shopping at Aldi!

Last edited by beckiwoo; Sep 11th 2016 at 5:02 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that. I think of Canada as one might think of Minnesota; economically and socially it's a part of the US but one with slower speech. Garrison Keillor's pieces, although set among Nordic-Americans offer, I think, good descriptions of life up here. There is nothing wrong with being a stodgy, safe, backwater.

Officious does not mean aloof. Officious is being obsessive about administrivia; a Canadian trait. Aloof is ideal in a flight attendant.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=offic...&client=safari
assertive of authority in an annoyingly domineering way, especially with regard to petty or trivial matters

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Sep 11th 2016 at 5:05 pm. Reason: Thought I would just point out my definition of officious
Old Sep 12th 2016, 12:47 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
For me thats 3 tubs of Greek Yoghurt (700g each) for $10 - they are around $4 each at the grocery store

Strewberries (2lb) - currently $4 compared to superstore $5.50 - and superstore dont keep their strewberries in a refridgerated area so they look manky.

Cheese!!!!!! - real Welsh chedder (450g) for just over $10 - when I went back to the UK the same brand was comparative in price in Tesco and thats without the shipping costs.

I useally buy my other fruit and veg from superstore as I get the points but those are the main things I get from costco.

My cost co memebership is linked to the UK as my mother uses a card from my account but when i was there, I was only buying something once or twice a month - i found cost-co expensive in the UK compared to the supermarkets but then again there are more price wars and I did my shopping at Aldi!
How could I forget about the cheese prices! Hah! And I agree on everything else, a 6-pack of lettuce as well is also way cheaper. And the berries are SO much cheaper than the grocery store it's obscene. (That said, I did buy a large thing of strawberries on Friday, and this morning I Had to throw out the remaining half as they'd all gone off. But I think that's a one-off more than anything, usually strawberries are good for longer than that.)

I love that the membership works in the UK as well. We have shopped in the UK one a few times. It's not quite as good a deal as here on some things, but some things even there are still cheaper. Alcohol is a fantastic price in the UK. And in the US. And in other provinces that don't live in the stone ages because ZOMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I heard your ex-wife married an Air Canada Captain and now gets discount on all interline zed-fare airlines. I think I met her in First Class recently.

She sold her AC frequent flyer miles on ebay and made a killer profit....
She used to refer to AC as the Evidently Chickentown airline, after the John Cooper Clarke piece. I doubt she'd meet the staff socially.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I flew Alaska Airlines a week ago...same as AC IMO.

I agree...I will never fly WJ again.

Have to say I hate the use of tablets vs in seat screens...especially on a night flight.
At one time Alaska had a super cheap service from Toronto to LA, I took it lots of times and used the points myself! The best feature was the free Klondike bars.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:44 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...superstore dont keep their strewberries in a refridgerated area so they look manky...
That's one I've not heard in a long time.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:53 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have flown AC once to a US destination, I saw nothing special about them, no better or nor worse then the US airlines I generally fly. Delta and Alaska and sometimes Southwest.
In the past three years, how many flights have you and/or your wife taken?
Old Sep 12th 2016, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

The concept of average and stats like this can be misleading. I'd be interested in a demographic breakdown of those living on the edge - rural vs urban, Ontario versus rest, and last but not least, by ethnicity. Some groups are possibly better equipped than others to deal with economic adversity.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 4:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

2 for her, I believe and 4 for me as I visited family twice before we married.

Since each trip required 2 flights each direction, each trip had 4 flights in total.

No non stops to San Diego from Bellingham so always requires a connection and sometimes a double connection.

Originally Posted by not2old
In the past three years, how many flights have you and/or your wife taken?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 12th 2016 at 4:30 am.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Cheaper to make your own yoghurt, very easy and much better without all the added crap put into commercially produced stuff.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 12:46 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Cheaper to make your own yoghurt, very easy and much better without all the added crap put into commercially produced stuff.
I buy one from most major grocery stores for my one year old, the brand is Greek Gods. The plain yogurt is 10% MF and the ingredients are simply milk, cream, bacterial cultures, and pectin. Hain Celestial | Yogurt Plain
Old Sep 13th 2016, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I buy one from most major grocery stores for my one year old, the brand is Greek Gods. The plain yogurt is 10% MF and the ingredients are simply milk, cream, bacterial cultures, and pectin. Hain Celestial | Yogurt Plain
That stuff is still pretty pricey, I can make an equivalent amount for 1/3 of the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.