Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Occupy Uprising....

The Occupy Uprising....

Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Occupy Uprising....

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just because some two-bit reporter from the Orlando local paper calls it a "protest" doesn't cut much ice with me. Or I suspect with you.

I don't think it has to change or that it will change anything unless or until resonances are struck within the broader aspects of societies. Ok. But as I said, all it has to do right now is to keep growing which it's doing rather well.

And, due respect to your mother, but despite being focussed, Greenham Common didn't get a result. Do you think these layabouts haven't learnt anything since then?
Au contraire Prof Novo, Greenham Common Peace Camp was a highly effective protest:

http://www.greenhamwpc.org.uk/
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:08 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
(that smiley is going to get old fast)
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just because some two-bit reporter from the Orlando local paper calls it a "protest" doesn't cut much ice with me. Or I suspect with you.

I don't think it has to change or that it will change anything unless or until resonances are struck within the broader aspects of societies. Ok. But as I said, all it has to do right now is to keep growing which it's doing rather well.

And, due respect to your mother, but despite being focussed, Greenham Common didn't get a result. Do you think these layabouts haven't learnt anything since then?
Unless you're being ironic you clever sod.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:10 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:18 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Au contraire Prof Novo, Greenham Common Peace Camp was a highly effective protest:

http://www.greenhamwpc.org.uk/
I sympathised with their cause at the time, but I don't think they personally achieved the result; that would be the soviet union collapsing in on itself did that. Some people credit reagan for this, but I think it would have happened anyway regardless of what us policy was.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I sympathised with their cause at the time, but I don't think they personally achieved the result; that would be the soviet union collapsing in on itself did that. Some people credit reagan for this, but I think it would have happened anyway regardless of what us policy was.
I'm not suggesting their achievement was the end of the cold war or the nuclear arms race more generally. That's entirely my point about Occupy. Being focused on one camp for a sustained period of time, with the disruptive practices and legal challenges they made certainly did make a difference. The camp was under siege by the media for years and the protest of a few women a major headache for the MOD and US military.

If Occupy had just remained a Wall St and possibly London protest against financial institutions then perhaps it might've been just as effective. Time will tell. My view is that its growth around the world has diluted it's impact, ironically. Let's see ...
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If Occupy had just remained a Wall St and possibly London protest against financial institutions then perhaps it might've been just as effective. Time will tell. My view is that its growth around the world has diluted it's impact, ironically. Let's see ...
They might be more inclined to put the ****s up them if they quoted some like Lucy Parsons.

Our banners read only: Behold your future executioners!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:20 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

A point of view about the freeloaders:

http://www.rickysplace.com/player/1031-11.html
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GavinR

LOVED that!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Made me smile.....
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:11 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

He should be invited to the December meeting in The Yard.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're being ironic you clever sod.
Moi?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
He should be invited to the December meeting in The Yard.
I can't look at it from here:

"This Websense category is filtered: Tasteless."

I suppose that's a reference to the fellow's "Flock of Seagulls" hair do.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't look at it from here:

"This Websense category is filtered: Tasteless."

I suppose that's a reference to the fellow's "Flock of Seagulls" hair do.
The hairdo is certainly tasteless. Many of the comments also but many people will agree with him. I wonder who sponsors him?

For no obvious reason, I am pleased to report that I have spent my morning so far discussing slags with a bloke in Boston. And, I'm paying him for it.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
For no obvious reason, I am pleased to report that I have spent my morning so far discussing slags with a bloke in Boston. And, I'm paying him for it.
I'm managing a complex recovery involving disparate platforms and technologies, I pimped a small job and I'm about to focus on the major issue of the day; how many screws, how many nails and how much glop for the 70 sheets of drywall we intend to pick up this weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.