Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Occupy Uprising....

The Occupy Uprising....

Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Occupy Uprising....

I'm an armchair supporter - nothing wrong with agreeing with people doing something. For comparison, I don't really think killing whales is a very nice thing to do, but that doesn't mean that unless I get on a boat and follow japanese whaling ships around I'm a hypocrite.

Besides, Canadian movement aside, it's a misconception that the OWS protests in the US are somehow anti-capitalist or anti-corporation. I see the "laugh at them for being anti-corporation and then using their ipads in starbucks" meme a lot, but don't get sucked into the fox news narrative. There's a reason why they aren't protesting outside microsoft, apple, starbucks, or even macdonalds - it's because those companies haven't robbed tax-payers blind. Wall street on the other hand is full of demonstrably corrupt thieves.

Edit: I do think occupy vancouver is only helping to discredit the OWS movement. They have a right to protest, but I kind of wish they'd go shut up with their idealist impractical nonsense.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 16th 2011 at 11:59 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:00 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm an armchair supporter - nothing wrong with agreeing with people doing something. For comparison, I don't really think killing whales is a very nice thing to do, but that doesn't mean that unless I get on a boat and follow japanese whaling ships around I'm a hypocrite.

Besides, Canadian movement aside, it's a misconception that the OWS protests in the US are somehow anti-capitalist or anti-corporation. I see the "laugh at them for being anti-corporation and then using their ipads in starbucks" meme a lot, but don't get sucked into the fox news narrative. There's a reason why they aren't protesting outside microsoft, apple, starbucks, or even macdonalds - it's because those companies haven't robbed tax-payers blind. Wall street on the other hand is full of demonstrably corrupt thieves.
I agree aswell.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...-1-percent.php
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Public parks... private property... hmmmm.

Lost in the details some can't see the big picture.

The Occupy Uprising has been a huge success in showing that there is global concern for the state of our nations. Too bad there are still a bunch of 'rats' willing to toddle along to the piper's tune. I submit that this is only the beginning. Stay tuned.
Oh look, come on, whatever anyone thinks of Occupy no-one for a second can suggest that it's been a rip-roaring success. It hasn't been at all.

I've seen 'Inside Job' and understand that there is much wrong with our financial institutions and how they conduct business but the fact that you conclude that this is about the 'overall state of our nations' just demonstrates to me how utterly unfocused, incoherent, unrealistic and non-productive this 'protest' has been. It's a shame because the '99%' thing had promise. Problem was 24% effort.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Oh look, come on, whatever anyone thinks of Occupy no-one for a second can suggest that it's been a rip-roaring success. It hasn't been at all.

I've seen 'Inside Job' and understand that there is much wrong with our financial institutions and how they conduct business but the fact that you conclude that this is about the 'overall state of our nations' just demonstrates to me how utterly unfocused, incoherent, unrealistic and non-productive this 'protest' has been. It's a shame because the '99%' thing had promise. Problem was 24% effort.
Guess you missed the second half of the sentence "... in showing that there is global concern for the state of our nations." Agreed, it lacked something in the execution but as a show of discontent from many countries, it has a tleast caught the eye of those in power. As such, it was a success.

I'm apparently not alone in this opinion: (Click on today's episode of Q - Nov 16 for Jian Ghomeshi's opening address and no, it's not about Kermit the frog)

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Guess you missed the second half of the sentence "... in showing that there is global concern for the state of our nations." Agreed, it lacked something in the execution but as a show of discontent from many countries, it has a tleast caught the eye of those in power. As such, it was a success.

I'm apparently not alone in this opinion: (Click on today's episode of Q - Nov 16 for Jian Ghomeshi's opening address and no, it's not about Kermit the frog)

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/
How has it caught the eye of those in power, except for said people in power giving the Occupiers 31 days to make them feel like they've 'made a protest' before giving them a pat on the back and an eviction notice? Honestly, it's naiive to think that this has changed anything.

Before you think I'm not sympathetic to the cause, I am. It's just that I'm disappointed with how this has all played out. I think the Occupy movement has been sadly outflanked by some of the authorities it aimed to pull down. Galling but true.

Last edited by London Mike; Nov 17th 2011 at 2:49 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

How has it caught the eye of those in power, except for said people in power giving the Occupiers 31 days to make them feel like they've 'made a protest' before giving them a pat on the back and an eviction notice? Honestly, it's naiive to think that this has changed anything.

Before you think I'm not sympathetic to the cause, I am. It's just that I'm disappointed with how this has all played out. I think the Occupy movement has been sadly outflanked by some of the authorities it aimed to pull down. Galling but true.
I really think you are missing the big picture.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an armchair supporter - nothing wrong with agreeing with people doing something.
Nothing wrong with it at all. If this is off the back of my comment to brandrui, their comment to me implied that they were involved when they are probably supporting from a distance and the comfort of a nice rocking chair made from hemp.

Edit: I do think occupy vancouver is only helping to discredit the OWS movement. They have a right to protest, but I kind of wish they'd go shut up with their idealist impractical nonsense.
Me too. It's all very Canadian.

Which is?

I'm all for change in the upper echelons of the Financial sector and other corporations and business folk..........as long as it doesn't impact my current way of life
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its all impotent bollox until there are heads on stakes.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 17th 2011 at 6:32 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I lived like a 1%er tonight, eating a nice juicy rib-eye, washed down with some chocolate cake :sunglasses:
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I lived like a 1%er tonight, eating a nice juicy rib-eye, washed down with some chocolate cake :sunglasses:

We had roast beef but my Yorkshire puddings didn't rise up.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 17th 2011 at 6:38 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:44 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Oink
We had roast beef but my Yorkshire puddings didn't rise up.
Any ideas where to get Goose fat around here? My Yorkshires just don't taste the same without it.

Think i'll make some over the weekend and get some treacle in to have with the leftovers
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:17 am

Any ideas where to get Goose fat around here? My Yorkshires just don't taste the same without it.

Think i'll make some over the weekend and get some treacle in to have with the leftovers
Yes, you can get goose and duck fat at Oyama Sausage place in GI market. The goose stuff sells out quick before Christmas. It's quite spendy but as you're recession proof it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:29 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes, you can get goose and duck fat at Oyama Sausage place in GI market. The goose stuff sells out quick before Christmas. It's quite spendy but as you're recession proof it shouldn't be a problem.
Bingo :sunglasses:
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo :sunglasses:
A found a cheap and effective method of obtaining goose fat was to roast a goose. hth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.