British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Occupy Uprising.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/occupy-uprising-735696/)

ultrarunner Oct 14th 2011 9:23 pm

The Occupy Uprising....

Seems to be swarming major cities round the world right now. An office of Goldman Sachs in Milan was invaded today, then there is the private park in NY city

The one for Ottawa is planned for noon 2morrow, and I believe there is one in Toronto as well

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/...5f805745_b.jpg

credit: I am Bong on flickr

ultrarunner Oct 15th 2011 1:53 pm

Re: The Occupy Uprising....

Let the razzmatazz begin in Ottawa

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6039/...6b9e9472_b.jpg

Sunny James, who runs his political party (the PJ Party) from his shopping cart. that's the "P"eace and "J"ustice party.

Credit: silliopolous flickr

macadian Oct 15th 2011 3:01 pm

Shades of the 'Jarrow Crusade' (Jarrow March) in the '20's....with as much chance of making any quantifiable difference....

Oink Oct 15th 2011 4:09 pm

I occupied my toilet for 20 mins this morning in solidarity.

macadian Oct 15th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9676511)
I occupied my toilet for 20 mins this morning in solidarity.

I hope it didn't hurt too much.....:eek:

4d32ftw Oct 15th 2011 5:03 pm

according to the local news.... occupy Kamloops starts at 11am today :lol:

ultrarunner Oct 15th 2011 7:35 pm

Credit: Randallcamera Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/...b9260d6a_b.jpg

Frank'n Sense Oct 15th 2011 8:55 pm

http://www.straight.com/files/imagec...uver%20063.jpg
Vancouver Art Gallery is occupied.

dbd33 Oct 15th 2011 9:24 pm

I'm standing now by the TD bank on Bay St. Bay is one of the least attractive streets in one of the world's drearier central business districts. That this is where the world's third league bankers are obliged to work one assumes that wealth in Toronto doesn't bring happiness. The inhospitable climate and the brutality of the failed building designs make this a place where people are reluctant to stand. A busker would not do well here and neither do protests.

There's a huddle of bodies, mostly it seems employees of the local television station. I watched amused as one of their vans, bearing the optimistic slogan "eyes everywhere", drIfted between lanes causing a cyclist to have to hurriedly dismount. Rather than using eyes anywhere, the driver was stuffing himself with a chain store sandwich.

At first this seemed like the perfect encapsulation of the sub ject of the protest; fat employee of megacorporation squishes innocent peddler. A further glance showed this to be a weak analysis, the protestors are uniformly overweight. No bankers are on view but one assumes their wealth provides for liposucking minions, they must, at least, look better than the shivering fleshy few outside their 1970s glassy box.

It's a chilly protest by ugly people on an ugly street far from anywhere. Still I don't have much cause to visit Bay Street and the look of the place is a change for me. I resolve to listen again to the Bee Gees and to reconsider the merits of shag carpeting.

Novocastrian Oct 15th 2011 10:49 pm

^Nice post sir.

But do you think it at all significant that, rather than bother with Bay Street, the Occupiers have set up in St. James Park?

Can it be that they're all Geordies? I'll pop down tomorrow after the Spurs match to chat about this with them.

Oink Oct 15th 2011 11:10 pm

Down with Thatcher!

ultrarunner Oct 15th 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9676844)
I'm standing now by the TD bank on Bay St. Bay is one of the least attractive streets in one of the world's drearier central business districts. That this is where the world's third league bankers are obliged to work one assumes that wealth in Toronto doesn't bring happiness. The inhospitable climate and the brutality of the failed building designs make this a place where people are reluctant to stand. A busker would not do well here and neither do protests.

There's a huddle of bodies, mostly it seems employees of the local television station. I watched amused as one of their vans, bearing the optimistic slogan "eyes everywhere", drIfted between lanes causing a cyclist to have to hurriedly dismount. Rather than using eyes anywhere, the driver was stuffing himself with a chain store sandwich.

At first this seemed like the perfect encapsulation of the sub ject of the protest; fat employee of megacorporation squishes innocent peddler. A further glance showed this to be a weak analysis, the protestors are uniformly overweight. No bankers are on view but one assumes their wealth provides for liposucking minions, they must, at least, look better than the shivering fleshy few outside their 1970s glassy box.

It's a chilly protest by ugly people on an ugly street far from anywhere. Still I don't have much cause to visit Bay Street and the look of the place is a change for me. I resolve to listen again to the Bee Gees and to reconsider the merits of shag carpeting.

*Sigh*.....but Bay Street beats many a street in Guelph though any day. What with all the potholes that the city of Guelph refuses to sort out, or the lager louts at the university running amok of weekends .

Ugly people you say? Care to share your pic with us by any chance so we can be the judge? We've seen what you drive with the dog in it :D

dbd33 Oct 15th 2011 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9676998)
*Sigh*.....but Bay Street beats many a street in Guelph though any day.

In what way? Bay is a poorly designed street, notoriously a wind tunnel, lacking in any form of restaurant or entertainment. I don't know of any comparable street in Guelph.

What with all the potholes that the city of Guelph refuses to sort out, or the lager louts at the university running amok of weekends .

I defer to your greater knowledge, I don't drive in Guelph and so wouldn't notice the potholes. I like there being people on the street.

Ugly people you say? Care to share your pic with us by any chance so we can be the judge? We've seen what you drive with the dog in it :D

Dogs.

Established posters have seen quite enough of me. Some are still haunted by the memory of that "naked in the wash stall" picture.

dbd33 Oct 16th 2011 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9676963)
But do you think it at all significant that, rather than bother with Bay Street, the Occupiers have set up in St. James Park?

I went past there several times today and didn't see more than the usual number of people. I suppose protestors would choose there so they could get take out from La Maquette. They'd do a good picnic, La Maquette.

Novocastrian Oct 16th 2011 12:23 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9677032)
I went past there several times today and didn't see more than the usual number of people. I suppose protestors would choose there so they could get take out from La Maquette. They'd do a good picnic, La Maquette.

Occupiers if you please. Protesters are so last century.