British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Occupy Uprising.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/occupy-uprising-735696/)

ultrarunner Oct 14th 2011 9:23 pm

The Occupy Uprising....

Seems to be swarming major cities round the world right now. An office of Goldman Sachs in Milan was invaded today, then there is the private park in NY city

The one for Ottawa is planned for noon 2morrow, and I believe there is one in Toronto as well

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/...5f805745_b.jpg

credit: I am Bong on flickr

ultrarunner Oct 15th 2011 1:53 pm

Re: The Occupy Uprising....

Let the razzmatazz begin in Ottawa

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6039/...6b9e9472_b.jpg

Sunny James, who runs his political party (the PJ Party) from his shopping cart. that's the "P"eace and "J"ustice party.

Credit: silliopolous flickr

macadian Oct 15th 2011 3:01 pm

Shades of the 'Jarrow Crusade' (Jarrow March) in the '20's....with as much chance of making any quantifiable difference....

Oink Oct 15th 2011 4:09 pm

I occupied my toilet for 20 mins this morning in solidarity.

macadian Oct 15th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9676511)
I occupied my toilet for 20 mins this morning in solidarity.

I hope it didn't hurt too much.....:eek:

4d32ftw Oct 15th 2011 5:03 pm

according to the local news.... occupy Kamloops starts at 11am today :lol:

ultrarunner Oct 15th 2011 7:35 pm

Credit: Randallcamera Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/...b9260d6a_b.jpg

Frank'n Sense Oct 15th 2011 8:55 pm

http://www.straight.com/files/imagec...uver%20063.jpg
Vancouver Art Gallery is occupied.

dbd33 Oct 15th 2011 9:24 pm

I'm standing now by the TD bank on Bay St. Bay is one of the least attractive streets in one of the world's drearier central business districts. That this is where the world's third league bankers are obliged to work one assumes that wealth in Toronto doesn't bring happiness. The inhospitable climate and the brutality of the failed building designs make this a place where people are reluctant to stand. A busker would not do well here and neither do protests.

There's a huddle of bodies, mostly it seems employees of the local television station. I watched amused as one of their vans, bearing the optimistic slogan "eyes everywhere", drIfted between lanes causing a cyclist to have to hurriedly dismount. Rather than using eyes anywhere, the driver was stuffing himself with a chain store sandwich.

At first this seemed like the perfect encapsulation of the sub ject of the protest; fat employee of megacorporation squishes innocent peddler. A further glance showed this to be a weak analysis, the protestors are uniformly overweight. No bankers are on view but one assumes their wealth provides for liposucking minions, they must, at least, look better than the shivering fleshy few outside their 1970s glassy box.

It's a chilly protest by ugly people on an ugly street far from anywhere. Still I don't have much cause to visit Bay Street and the look of the place is a change for me. I resolve to listen again to the Bee Gees and to reconsider the merits of shag carpeting.

Novocastrian Oct 15th 2011 10:49 pm

^Nice post sir.

But do you think it at all significant that, rather than bother with Bay Street, the Occupiers have set up in St. James Park?

Can it be that they're all Geordies? I'll pop down tomorrow after the Spurs match to chat about this with them.

Oink Oct 15th 2011 11:10 pm

Down with Thatcher!

ultrarunner Oct 15th 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9676844)
I'm standing now by the TD bank on Bay St. Bay is one of the least attractive streets in one of the world's drearier central business districts. That this is where the world's third league bankers are obliged to work one assumes that wealth in Toronto doesn't bring happiness. The inhospitable climate and the brutality of the failed building designs make this a place where people are reluctant to stand. A busker would not do well here and neither do protests.

There's a huddle of bodies, mostly it seems employees of the local television station. I watched amused as one of their vans, bearing the optimistic slogan "eyes everywhere", drIfted between lanes causing a cyclist to have to hurriedly dismount. Rather than using eyes anywhere, the driver was stuffing himself with a chain store sandwich.

At first this seemed like the perfect encapsulation of the sub ject of the protest; fat employee of megacorporation squishes innocent peddler. A further glance showed this to be a weak analysis, the protestors are uniformly overweight. No bankers are on view but one assumes their wealth provides for liposucking minions, they must, at least, look better than the shivering fleshy few outside their 1970s glassy box.

It's a chilly protest by ugly people on an ugly street far from anywhere. Still I don't have much cause to visit Bay Street and the look of the place is a change for me. I resolve to listen again to the Bee Gees and to reconsider the merits of shag carpeting.

*Sigh*.....but Bay Street beats many a street in Guelph though any day. What with all the potholes that the city of Guelph refuses to sort out, or the lager louts at the university running amok of weekends .

Ugly people you say? Care to share your pic with us by any chance so we can be the judge? We've seen what you drive with the dog in it :D

dbd33 Oct 15th 2011 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9676998)
*Sigh*.....but Bay Street beats many a street in Guelph though any day.

In what way? Bay is a poorly designed street, notoriously a wind tunnel, lacking in any form of restaurant or entertainment. I don't know of any comparable street in Guelph.

What with all the potholes that the city of Guelph refuses to sort out, or the lager louts at the university running amok of weekends .

I defer to your greater knowledge, I don't drive in Guelph and so wouldn't notice the potholes. I like there being people on the street.

Ugly people you say? Care to share your pic with us by any chance so we can be the judge? We've seen what you drive with the dog in it :D

Dogs.

Established posters have seen quite enough of me. Some are still haunted by the memory of that "naked in the wash stall" picture.

dbd33 Oct 16th 2011 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9676963)
But do you think it at all significant that, rather than bother with Bay Street, the Occupiers have set up in St. James Park?

I went past there several times today and didn't see more than the usual number of people. I suppose protestors would choose there so they could get take out from La Maquette. They'd do a good picnic, La Maquette.

Novocastrian Oct 16th 2011 12:23 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9677032)
I went past there several times today and didn't see more than the usual number of people. I suppose protestors would choose there so they could get take out from La Maquette. They'd do a good picnic, La Maquette.

Occupiers if you please. Protesters are so last century.

dbd33 Oct 16th 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9677056)
Occupiers if you please. Protesters are so last century.

That little park already has occupiers, I'd expect them to beat up the newcomers and steal their shoes.

Novocastrian Oct 16th 2011 12:48 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9677059)
That little park already has occupiers, I'd expect them to beat up the newcomers and steal their shoes.

Oh yes, there are always a lot of questionable characters around St. James' Park.

ultrarunner Oct 16th 2011 11:43 am

Credit: AndyNguy Flikr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6111/...45d2e765_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/...e79e2c6d_b.jpg

macadian Oct 16th 2011 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9677085)
Oh yes, there are always a lot of questionable characters around St. James' Park.

Just turn it into a temporary 'Gulag'......job done....:cool:

ultrarunner Oct 16th 2011 10:42 pm

Credit....I am Bidong...Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/...497c6b7b_b.jpg

mandymoochops Oct 16th 2011 10:45 pm

you might want to either remove that last picture or at least blur out the sweary words :rolleyes:

ultrarunner Oct 16th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 9678415)
you might want to either remove that last picture or at least blur out the sweary words :rolleyes:

What ...you don't like dogs? :rolleyes:

MarkG Oct 17th 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 9676455)
Shades of the 'Jarrow Crusade' (Jarrow March) in the '20's

Except the Jarrow marchers wanted jobs, whereas the 'Occupiers' appear to want more handouts paid for by anyone but them. If it's a repeat of the Jarrow Crusade, I'd say it's in the Marxist sense of history repeating itself as farce.

I'd be far more impressed if they were 'protesting' outside the offices of the politicians who gave hundreds of billions of dollars to bail out the bankers.

R I C H Oct 17th 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9677674)

I'm not big enough to feed an average family for more than a week.

Alan2005 Oct 17th 2011 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 9680004)
Except the Jarrow marchers wanted jobs, whereas the 'Occupiers' appear to want more handouts paid for by anyone but them

And why not? The banks got the their free money by the billions - why shouldn't the guy on the street get his share?

Novocastrian Oct 17th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 9680004)
Except the Jarrow marchers wanted jobs, whereas the 'Occupiers' appear to want more handouts paid for by anyone but them. If it's a repeat of the Jarrow Crusade, I'd say it's in the Marxist sense of history repeating itself as farce.

I'd be far more impressed if they were 'protesting' outside the offices of the politicians who gave hundreds of billions of dollars to bail out the bankers.

Where on earth did you conjure that strange notion up from? In so far as goals have so far been articulated, just the opposite is true. They appear to me and I think most others to be objecting to massive handouts to bankers, among others, paid for by them, the 99% sacrificing to save the 1% from their just deserts (i.e. gaol).

Novocastrian Oct 17th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9680055)
And why not? The banks got the their free money by the billions - why shouldn't the guy on the street get his share?

Oh, don't swallow that crap. They're out for reducing the obscene income and wealth gaps which exist today and not for doing that by handouts to the great unwashed.

Alan2005 Oct 17th 2011 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9680059)
Where on earth did you conjure that strange notion up from? In so far as goals have so far been articulated, just the opposite is true. They appear to me and I think most others to be objecting to massive handouts to bankers, among others, paid for by them, the 99% sacrificing to save the 1% from their just deserts (i.e. gaol).

Most media coverage so far has been to make these people look like crazies. It's quite easy to control the narrative like this because there are plenty of crazy people there to interview - and they are much more interesting than normal people who are simply pissed off with being stolen from.

Alan2005 Oct 17th 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9680063)
Oh, don't swallow that crap. They're out for reducing the obscene income and wealth gaps which exist today and not for doing that by handouts to the great unwashed.

I just used the contrast to make a point. I don't actually think the majority of OWS want free stuff. Well they probably do, but that's not why they are there.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/10...ss-ag-offices/

This first line pretty much sums it all up:

There is an unfocused financial rage in the United States.

Novocastrian Oct 17th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9680070)
Most media coverage so far has been to make these people look like crazies. It's quite easy to control the narrative like this because there are plenty of crazy people there to interview - and they are much more interesting than normal people who are simply pissed off with being stolen from.

That's fair enough. But viewing the wider canvas rather than the usual suspects portrayed in the media, this lot don't even seem to want media attention. Nor, I suspect do they want to sully themselves by tactics such as someone above mentioned of "protesting" outside of politicians' offices. Fat lot of good that does.

Everyone is on about social media revolutions and uprisings and such, but we'll see how it develops. I have an open mind on this.

Alan2005 Oct 17th 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9680076)
That's fair enough. But viewing the wider canvas rather than the usual suspects portrayed in the media, this lot don't even seem to want media attention. Nor, I suspect do they want to sully themselves by tactics such as someone above mentioned of "protesting" outside of politicians' offices. Fat lot of good that does.

Everyone is on about social media revolutions and uprisings and such, but we'll see how it develops. I have an open mind on this.

I'm generally supportive. People have been ripped off and they are right to be angry - where this goes and whether or not the movement gets co-opted we shall see.

el_richo Oct 17th 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9680063)

I'm not bloody taking a paycut for anybody :thumbdown:

Oink Oct 17th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9680070)

That's the problem the left has always faced. There are so many problems with capitalism and the corporate democratic polity that it easy for the media to portray this into an uncoordinated message, while the right simply reacts negatively to progressivism and unfortunately its easy to appear coherent and pointed.

Novocastrian Oct 17th 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9680097)
That's the problem the left has always faced. There are so many problems with capitalism and the corporate democratic polity that it easy for the media to portray this into an uncoordinated message, while the right simply reacts negatively to progressivism and unfortunately its easy to appear coherent and pointed.

I thought you'd be along soon. ;)

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not at all sure that (again in the wider canvas) this movement is actually of the left. I've heard analogies to the rise of the Tea Party down there, but that doesn't seem valid either.

We'll have to see (as both I and Alan have agreed), and I don't have a clue how this might turn out. I noted on an earlier thread you mentioned May 68 etc., but that doesn't seem to me to fit either. Whatever these people are, they're not for the most part Marxists (of any flavour). So far they just seem angry and rather desperate for a society which gives a shit about ordinary people.

Oink Oct 17th 2011 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9680110)

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not at all sure that (again in the wider canvas) this movement is actually of the left. I've heard analogies to the rise of the Tea Party down there, but that doesn't seem valid either.

We'll have to see (as both I and Alan have agreed), and I don't have a clue how this might turn out. I noted on an earlier thread you mentioned May 68 etc., but that doesn't seem to me to fit either. Whatever these people are, they're not for the most part Marxists (of any flavour). So far they just seem angry and rather desperate for a society which gives a shit about ordinary people.

There is a frustrating duality between individual agency and systemic control. One the one hand individuals are free to choose certain variables within their lives and yet they are subject to the power of systems. When those systems have problems, ie economic depressions, people become frustrated and angry as they perceive the balance of that duality shifting to the systemic control side.

Alan2005 Oct 17th 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9680148)
There is a frustrating duality between individual agency and systemic control. One the one hand individuals are free to choose certain variables within their lives and yet they are subject to the power of systems. When those systems have problems, ie economic depressions, people become frustrated and angry as they perceive the balance of that duality shifting to the systemic control side.

Yeah, but you know how it is. There's one set of rules for systemic control and another set for us, I mean our individual agencies.

Oink Oct 17th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9680157)
Yeah, but you know how it is. There's one set of rules for systemic control and another set for us, I mean our individual agencies.

I didn't see too many global anti-capital demonstrations when people seemed to be winning the speculation in tech-industry in the late 1990s.

Alan2005 Oct 17th 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9680162)
I didn't see too many global anti-capital demonstrations when people seemed to be winning the speculation in tech-industry in the late 1990s.

Nope. Just like people weren't complaining when the value of their houses was going up crazy amounts every year up till 2008 because of stupidly cheap credit. I still reckon that people not complaining doesn't excuse fraud and malfeasance.

Oink Oct 17th 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9680183)
Nope. Just like people weren't complaining when the value of their houses was going up crazy amounts every year up till 2008 because of stupidly cheap credit. I still reckon that people not complaining doesn't excuse fraud and malfeasance.

No of course not. I'm quite in favour of a bit of a sit-in, its quite a laugh, especially when you can pop into the pub for swift pint when it starts to rain. :thumbup:

expatdoris Oct 17th 2011 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9680110)

They are all upset because they were advised to do media and sociology degrees and can't get a job. Perhaps if they had done math or chemistry or even engineering, they would be too busy driving to work in their Mercs.