Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Occupy Uprising....

The Occupy Uprising....

Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Occupy Uprising....

Originally Posted by JamesM
El_Richo

I like you but next time you post a picture of me can you ask first?
And a handsome gentleman you are
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think I'm going to defend ur here. His original point about not judging people by how they look is right - everyone knows this. I don't think we should be mocking him because society doesn't live up to this ideal when there are clearly plenty of other things to mock him for.
It isn't right but it's a fact of life. We're a very visual species.

I'm pretty sure if he had a daughter who brought home a boyfriend who had ginger dreads, a nose ring, lip ring, tattoo's on his face, and wore a hooded top, he'd judge.

Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose my indifference to the Occupy movement is that is that they seem to be protesting about human nature. Human beings are selfish, self-serving and self-interested. Humans seek the power to control their environment in their best interests. In a world of scarce resources power and wealth go hand-in-hand. The only difference between the 1% and the 99% is that the 1% are better at it.

Nothing short of an extermination of overwhelming majority of the world's population and a return to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle is going to change that. A revolution just replaces one tyranny with another.

However, self-interest also allows us to see most of us can benefit from some form of collectivization. Thinking of another thread this morning, I wonder if they had pushed for in inclusion of dentistry and prescription drugs into provincial health plans they would have garnered much more support and might have been in a position to make a real difference in people's lives.

Or would all the people with cooperate sponsored (and corporate serving) extended health plans refuse to pay the extra tax required?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I suppose my indifference to the Occupy movement is that is that they seem to be protesting about human nature. Human beings are selfish, self-serving and self-interested. Humans seek the power to control their environment in their best interests. In a world of scarce resources power and wealth go hand-in-hand. The only difference between the 1% and the 99% is that the 1% are better at it.

Nothing short of an extermination of overwhelming majority of the world's population and a return to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle is going to change that. A revolution just replaces one tyranny with another.

However, self-interest also allows us to see most of us can benefit from some form of collectivization. Thinking of another thread this morning, I wonder if they had pushed for in inclusion of dentistry and prescription drugs into provincial health plans they would have garnered much more support and might have been in a position to make a real difference in people's lives.

Or would all the people with cooperate sponsored (and corporate serving) extended health plans refuse to pay the extra tax required?
Possibly. I tend to think the movement, in the US at least, is about fairness rather than equality. But maybe that's me just seeing what I want to see based on my world view rather than the reality. It does seem that the people protesting in Vancouver are worlds apart from those protesting in the cities around the US though.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sod the smelly hippies, this will get their attention. Nothing will be achieved until they have guns, bullets and bombs plus 40% unemployment.

Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can make an argument that the poll tax riots were only effective because the hoolies started to smash up central London.

I am less keen on heads on sticks. Just in case one is mine.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

It does seem that the people protesting in Vancouver are worlds apart from those protesting in the cities around the US though.
As you said before, it was a nice break from the Sally Ann.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:18 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Sod the smelly hippies, this will get their attention. Nothing will be achieved until they have guns, bullets and bombs plus 40% unemployment.

http://www.sknvibes.com/news/gfxz/image/robbery15.jpg

Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
So we are passing the blame now...shocker that

New flash...British Army doesn't look after it's own. That will explain the recent influx in numbers of exchange officers joining the CF
OK, this will be the third time I have asked the question: please explain how they are treated differently by the British Army?

If it was about pensions and right to remain, do you accept that the British Army has as much control over such things as the CF does in Canada?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, this will be the third time I have asked the question: please explain how they are treated differently by the British Army?

If it was about pensions and right to remain, do you accept that the British Army has as much control over such things as the CF does in Canada?
Start your own thread if you want to compare and contrast the British and Canadian military.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Start your own thread if you want to compare and contrast the British and Canadian military.
Somebody should start a thread about which group of monkeys can toss their jizz the furthest.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:16 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody should start a thread about which group of monkeys can toss their jizz the furthest.
Must....not....type...on.....keyboard.....arrrrrgh .