Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Dec 7th 2018, 3:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

Originally Posted by dbd33
Car crashes, darkness, angst in lieu of greetings. Just five more months to go.
I had to look up the word greige because of you. It's -20 here but that's great because it'll produce good ice for driving on for ice fishing, and it's going to be really nice in a few days. In the meantime I'm loving the remote start and the heated seats. I'd better check the temperature in the office right now.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I had to look up the word greige because of you. It's -20 here but that's great because it'll produce good ice for driving on for ice fishing, and it's going to be really nice in a few days. In the meantime I'm loving the remote start and the heated seats. I'd better check the temperature in the office right now.
-13 outside this morning. A damp cold, as described in Angela's Ashes, while the air is still. When the wind blows being outside calls to mind Lindisfarne's homeless tramp. There's no thermometer in here, I'm wearing gloves but not a coat or hat and it's enough, in other rooms it's frigid; no doubt somewhere in the building there are people in their underwear sweating buckets.

Griege is a good word, I don't suppose the inventors had Mississauga in mind but it describes the place exactly.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

-7c this morning and still no snow! This is turning out to be the best winter I have had so far.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

“Why do we go on?” a woman I know slightly asked last evening. It’s a common theme in this desolate place.

There was fresh snow overnight and flurries this morning. We drove to work, passing a pick up that had gone into the ditch. It had stopped with a tree embedded in the front centre. “Easy pickings” I thought, the driver wouldn’t have been able to run away “leave road not in safety, probably a charge of no insurance too”.

The windowless room is cold today. One never knows with office buildings, the technology to give them consistent warmth doesn’t yet exist so it’s usual for people to keep jumpers and coats to wear at their desk. Ms. Winter Lover complains that the mitts that match her hat are too thick to type in so she has to wear gloves and the gloves ruin the look. She had the same complaint in the summer when the frigidity was due to unregulated air conditioning.

I’ve just been outside, on an errand invented in order to see daylight, otherwise winter daylight is a weekend thing. In the lift there was a woman I didn’t know. “What’s the point?” she said unprompted.

Car crashes, darkness, angst in lieu of greetings. Just five more months to go.
Are you John Cooper Clarke in disguise
Old Dec 7th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

First indoor recess yesterday for the season at school - was only -23 but the wind chill of - 34 kept them all indoors until the afternoon. Think that is the latest in the year for an indoor recess since we got here 5 winters ago.
Today it has warmed up to a (toasty) -17 and gloriously sunny. � ���� Love when the sun sparkles on the snow.
Might go out on the river for a skate later.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Standing outside in the crisp morning air, sunshine streaming down, wearing a tshirt, drinking coffee, looking out towards the snow-capped peaks... it's apparently dipping below freezing overnight but comfortable single digits all daytime long at sea level.

Gods bless BC, I am literally never going back to Winterpeg
Old Dec 7th 2018, 5:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

“Why do we go on?” a woman I know slightly asked last evening. It’s a common theme in this desolate place...The windowless room is cold today...I’ve just been outside...to see daylight...there was a woman I didn’t know. “What’s the point?” she said unprompted...darkness, angst...five more months to go...When the wind blows being outside calls to mind Lindisfarne's homeless tramp. There's no thermometer in here, I'm wearing gloves but not a coat or hat and it's enough, in other rooms it's frigid; no doubt somewhere in the building there are people in their underwear sweating buckets
Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I was going to make a crack about a diary in captivity but that works too

(Ah, Friday evenings watching The Tube)
Old Dec 7th 2018, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
A wife of mine used to refer to Toronto as "****ing chicken town" in reference to Mr. Clarke. I was trying to commute by GO train, the idea being that she'd pick me up from the station and we'd go from there to a regular appointment. In winter I was often ****ing late and she had to ****ing wait. Our use of "****ing chicken town" has long outlasted his career.

I did meet him once. He was performing in Toronto and slept on a mutual friend's floor. The friend and I were both new to Toronto. Winter came and the friend became agoraphobic, he stayed indoors until the spring when he caught a flight to Manchester, kissed the tarmac, and was cured. I don't recall the punk poet's view of winter in the wasteland.

On edit: I kid you not, on the board in this room, among the glossary of English terms: "fortnightly", "forthcoming", "butcher's" and so on, is written "the rats have all got rickets".

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 7th 2018 at 6:27 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

On edit: I kid you not, on the board in this room, among the glossary of English terms: "fortnightly", "forthcoming", "butcher's" and so on, is written "the rats have all got rickets".
Ah, the joys of Beasley Street.

Old Dec 8th 2018, 12:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Got you first!
Attached Thumbnails The new winter thread - 2018-19-snowball-fight.gif  
Old Dec 10th 2018, 1:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

We passed another car in the ditch this weekend. A deep ditch. The roof of the car was at the height of the dashboard. I thought of that driver later when I swerved for a raccoon in the road and got a-slithering.

Meanwhile, on the horse care boards everyone wants to know which horse feeds don't freeze - something that, oddly, isn't mentioned on the labels.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

"A Pacific frontal system will approach the South Coast tonight. Ahead of the front, southeasterly winds of 60 to 80 km/h will develop early Tuesday morning over Sunshine Coast, the north and central sections of East Vancouver Island, Southern Gulf Islands, Greater Victoria near Haro Strait and the southern part of Metro Vancouver. The southeasterly winds are expected to ease Tuesday afternoon as the front moves inland. "

Rain expected through next Sunday at least, this past Sunday it rained all day, rained so much by the end of the day my rain gear was wet on the inside and was no longer working......

Hate to be passenger arriving in Vancouver during a down pour with a checked bag.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Still nuffing in Kamloops.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 4:22 pm
Tea Drinker

I could get used to this. Still no snow in Kamloops.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Still nuffing in Kamloops.
Be careful what you wish for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.