Missing the UK?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:43 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Missing the UK?

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Me too.

One thing I found about moving here was that it took a while to settle down after the hassles of eggthrowing etc. We've been here 30 months, have just moved house and now I am finally beginning to relax here.

This is a good place to vent, so keep on venting.
Thank you. Glad you are beginning to relax there I imagine it takes a while to lose that "Britishness" stiff upper lip and all that.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You know what? One of the really good things about this forum is the support you get when you are feeling low and missing family and stuff - yeah you quite often get a load of crap too but there is always someone that has been through it or going through it.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Tonight i miss my mum .. i want a big hug and some reassurance (i cant even see the keys properly through the tears .. daft sod eh?) ..

Someone said it recently .. the grass isn't always greener, im starting to realise that now
Karma sent sas-lou....if I could give you a hug to help you get through what you're going through, I would, but sending a big virtual hug instead
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:54 am

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=caroline_nisbet;7132466]Hi
I am jsut trying to get some more information about Canada before I make a decision about leaving the UK and wondered, from those that have already moved to Canada, what everyone misses from the UK?

Thanks,

not a lot...can get most things here...have made some awesome friends who are like family...really close and awesome...the only people me and my OH miss are our two Mums...my sister and our nephew and neices......Uncle and cousins both sides..one auntie and a godfather..everyone else is dead or might as well be.....
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

There is very little that I miss tbh.

OK so some days I do miss things like being able to order the groceries from Tesco's and have them deliver it in the 2 hour timeslot I choose.
I occasionally miss decent back bacon or other foods
And TV without loads of adverts

But tbh most of the time I don't even think about that... I am quite happy here
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:19 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do you remember that the shop they had (opposite Bridewell as I recall) became Aunt Jemima's Kitchen.....a pancake place?
I thought it was on North St opposite ish to the Hen & Chicken? ~ sorry, bit off topic!

I don't miss the UK so much as my mates/family ..... my mum had cancer last year & it was bloody awful listening to her crying down the phone 'I just want you to come home' I just felt SO guilty for bu**ering off halfway round the world! Great news for me tho ........ she has just booked a flight & is visiting in June, it will be almost 4yrs by then since we've seen each other & my kids have changed SO much ........ I can't wait!! (plus I've got a shopping list for her )

Last edited by bananahammock; Jan 15th 2009 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:53 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
I thought it was on North St opposite ish to the Hen & Chicken? ~ sorry, bit off topic!

I don't miss the UK so much as my mates/family ..... my mum had cancer last year & it was bloody awful listening to her crying down the phone 'I just want you to come home' I just felt SO guilty for bu**ering off halfway round the world! Great news for me tho ........ she has just booked a flight & is visiting in June, it will be almost 4yrs by then since we've seen each other & my kids have changed SO much ........ I can't wait!! (plus I've got a shopping list for her )
No, you're way out, wasn't the Hen & Chick in Bedminster?

That's awful about your Mum, makes your heart ache. So glad she's recovered and you'll have a great time. My mum used to have me in tears when she'd ask when am I coming home - even when I'd been here almost 30 years. So I spent a fortune going back every single year, sometimes twice. But she was worth it.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

MORTIMER_CLAN is a jewel in the roughMORTIMER_CLAN is a jewel in the roughMORTIMER_CLAN is a jewel in the roughMORTIMER_CLAN is a jewel in the roughMORTIMER_CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by caroline_nisbet
Hi
I am jsut trying to get some more information about Canada before I make a decision about leaving the UK and wondered, from those that have already moved to Canada, what everyone misses from the UK?

Thanks,
Caz
We have just joined this forum today so 'AYE UP' everyone from us ex-Yorkshire folk!

This is our 5th winter here in Canada (& bloody cold one!) but only miss a few things from the UK and they are

Family & Friends (although we get lots of visitors and use the webcam lots)
Social life is very different here (miss pub crawls!)
Closeness of everything (don't have to go far for a change of scenary)

The pro's far outweigh the con's and we would never go back to the UK

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Julia & Co
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:59 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
No, you're way out, wasn't the Hen & Chick in Bedminster? Yep, North st ..... not far from the wills tobacco factory & Luckwell rd.

Here it is ... http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...ctive%26sa%3DN

That's awful about your Mum, makes your heart ache. So glad she's recovered and you'll have a great time. My mum used to have me in tears when she'd ask when am I coming home - even when I'd been here almost 30 years. So I spent a fortune going back every single year, sometimes twice. But she was worth it.
It's going to be great (I hope) ....... my kids can't wait as they say I go from being 'in control mom' to female (& much older!!) 'kevin' when I'm around her
She walks with the aid of a stick now so getting her onto the seaplane is going to be fun!!

Last edited by bananahammock; Jan 15th 2009 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:03 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
It's going to be great (I hope) ....... my kids can't wait as they say I go from being 'in control mom' to female (& much older!!) 'kevin' when I'm around her
She walks with the aid of a stick now so getting her onto the seaplane is going to be fun!!
Years ago, after my dad died, my Mum joined a singles dancing club that used to meet at the Hen and Chick weekly. She met a really nice old fella there, who came with her to visit us here in Canada, back in the 80's. When he died, his daughters told me that his visit here was the highlight of his life and he never stopped talking about it. My kids also had the time of their lives on that visit, and great memories.

As for the seaplane, my OH also uses a cane and managed to negotiate getting on and off one of those with a little help, so I'm sure your Mum will be fine. People from Brissle is tough, anyways me babby
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:37 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I miss being upto date
in a fashion aware world
where people do know whats happening in the rest of the world
Where snow come's maybe once a year
where a days travel means going to new and intresting places and not staying in one province
Where you can buy quality
Where people don't spend all there time trying (or pretending) to be 'better' than their southern neighbours
Or where peole like to think they're 'green' when any quick observation of a highway wil prove beyond doubt otherwise

Other than that not much
sounds like you live in the East Midlands!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:41 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Back Bacon, and it has taken us 3 years to get used to surfing the Cable TV 150 channels.
Family - which goes without saying
* We have more friends here than ever before
* We have more of social life here than ever before too!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:29 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MORTIMER_CLAN
We have just joined this forum today so 'AYE UP' everyone from us ex-Yorkshire folk!

This is our 5th winter here in Canada (& bloody cold one!) but only miss a few things from the UK and they are

Family & Friends (although we get lots of visitors and use the webcam lots)
Social life is very different here (miss pub crawls!)
Closeness of everything (don't have to go far for a change of scenary)

The pro's far outweigh the con's and we would never go back to the UK

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Julia & Co
Hello Mortimer Clan, welcome to BE
Terese
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:49 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings Mortimer clan.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:20 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not in Calgary or possibly Alberta.

What you can or cannot get in Canada varies by region.
I/ve bought them in Vancouver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.