Missing the UK?

Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Missing the UK?

piccalilli, I know it seems small but I grew up in a family that put it on most of our sandwiches, so to go to a country where you cant get it well after a while you start craving it.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stubby42
piccalilli, I know it seems small but I grew up in a family that put it on most of our sandwiches, so to go to a country where you cant get it well after a while you start craving it.
I'm pretty sure you can get Cross & Blackwell's Picalilli in Calgary.

I used to buy it quite frequently but recently it's been very disappointing (looks like it was made with the scraps). Quite expensive too $4-$5 for a small jar.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Do you miss the UK?

I don't know, I haven't tried aiming at it yet. I need a longer-range missile!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Things I have missed, on occasion, not always, not consistently.
Money
Ham
Good chinese take out
Good indian take out
Gammon
Money
Back bacon Wiltshire cure
Waitrose prawn cocktail
Waitrose
John Lewis
My lovely Renault Clio
Money
Decent cream, milk, butter
Money
Employment rights
Good health
A GP
Cheap books
Hairdressers that have moved on from the mullet
Smooth road surfaces
Cats eyes
Holidays
Money

That'll do for now
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:57 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get the equivalent of piccallili......it's a bit drier though
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:59 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ville303
You can get the equivalent of piccallili......it's a bit drier though
also, google Dickens in Chilliwack...British goods and not too costly
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:04 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Smooth road surfaces

I'm stunned!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hwp

I'm stunned!
that would be your head hitting the car roof as you go over a pothole!

Honestly Peas, the road round here are terrible. Apart from the seasonal potholes you bump and wiggle all over the place as you drive over the uneven surface. You never seem to get a nice camber to help you zoom around that corner.

You have smooth roads in BC do you?? I'm on my way and you can show me.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:10 am

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

This reminds me of a talk I had with my youngest daughter. When we started to very seriously talk about emigration I told the kids to talk to me about any concerns they had.

My youngest said absolutely nothing at all about the move whilst the others all came to me with things like "I'll miss my friends" or "I'll miss my nan" etc.

A few weeks ago I come home from a late night at work and my youngest said she had to speak to me IMMEDIATELY and took me by the hand to her bedroom, she shut the door and told me to sit down.

So I duly sat down and she said that she had a question about the move to Canada. OK say I wondering what can be so serious that she looked so sad.

"Mum, you know you said I had to speak to you if I had a problem about Candad weeeelllllll .... I don't like the pickles out there, they taste different"

Erm, OK then ....
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

I'm pretty sure you can get Cross & Blackwell's Picalilli in Calgary.

I used to buy it quite frequently but recently it's been very disappointing (looks like it was made with the scraps). Quite expensive too $4-$5 for a small jar.
I did find one jar of picalilli when I was in regina but it wasnt as good as the stuff at home, but I guess its better than nothing but next time I'm taking a jar over.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

lol, but you know its funny how things like that become important I couldnt cope living in america and one of the main reasons is because they dont have hp sauce. I have it with almost every meal if I was in the states I'd have to import it.

I can live without almost anything but food is the one thing I miss.

Actually it is nice being able to walk to places instead of being dependant on people for rides.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:17 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Honestly Peas, the road round here are terrible. Apart from the seasonal potholes you bump and wiggle all over the place as you drive over the uneven surface.

Oh, I know....

You have smooth roads in BC do you?? I'm on my way and you can show me.

I drive by braille!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Things I have missed, on occasion, not always, not consistently.
Money
Ham
Good chinese take out
Good indian take out
Gammon
Money
Back bacon Wiltshire cure
Waitrose prawn cocktail
Waitrose
John Lewis
My lovely Renault Clio
Money
Decent cream, milk, butter
Money
Employment rights
Good health
A GP
Cheap books
Hairdressers that have moved on from the mullet
Smooth road surfaces
Cats eyes
Holidays
Money

That'll do for now
Yup. Nothing consistent there.

Cat's eyes. I'd forgotten them.

What's Waitrose?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray

Driving: The drivers over here don't have a clue what you mean when flashing your headlights to let them out of a side road or into a gap. I believe to flash your headlights is a sign of anger..not 100%. Canadians tend to beckon their finger "if" they're feeling exceptionally courteous and let you out!! It's a well-known and accepted practice in the UK to flash your lights if someone needs to move out or pull into a lane and it's usually greeted with a raised hand in the rear view window or a couple of blinks on the indicators. I know this is still the common thing to do as I was back in the UK twice last year and it was such a relief to see such good road manners!
Flashing your lights on the motorway in the UK is NOT recommended! A great many drivers use their headlights to intimidate the driver in front into moving out of the way! They drive right up to the car in front (almost sitting on the fender of the car in front) and flash their lights repeatedly. This usually take place at 80+ miles per hour.

There is no official rules concerning the use of headlight flashing - I think the Highway Code specifically condones the practice.

I have found the drivers on Vancouver Island to be much more polite - they do let you out but do it by a wave of the hand. And there is very much less "fender driving".
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yup. Nothing consistent there.

Cat's eyes. I'd forgotten them.

What's Waitrose?

Grocery heaven.

John Lewis' food dept. As you are a Geordie you will not know the finer points of life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.