London Riots

Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Riots

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
As much as i understand everyones anger and frustration, is this really the way forward? I think moving in this direction, may only lead to more problems. I think this will only lead to more troublemakers on the streets and increased crime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14474429
Thanks for the link to the petition contained within...
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
There was a fair amount of talk a few days back about possibly getting the army out on the streets? I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure this isn't what they had in mind.
They should have called in the Canadian Army, after all they are the "World's Peace Keeper".
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Nicked this from another site....classic!

THE RIOTERS PRAYER
Our father, who art in prison, my mum knows not his name, thy Riots come, read it in the sun, in Birmingham, as it is in London give us this day our Welfare bread & forgive us our looting, as we're happy to loot those who defend stuff against us, lead us not into employment but deliver us free housing, for thine is the tele's, the Burberry & the Barcardi, forever and ever...Innit

Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think about David Starkey's quote about the riots? Is he accurate in his analysis of modern British culture or was it just a racist rant from a disconnected and privileged old man?

"What's happened is a substantial section of the chavs have become black, the whites have become black . . . A particular sort of violent, destructive, nihilistic gangster culture has become fashion, and the black and white, boy and girl, operate in this language together."

Full article

Last edited by Oink; Aug 13th 2011 at 9:26 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What do you think about David Starkey's quote about the riots? Is he accurate in his analysis of modern British culture or was it just a racist rant from a disconnected and privileged old man?
I don't think it's racist, because to me, racism means treating somebody as inferior because of their race.

As someone who originally came from a small provincial city in Scotland, I can instantly see that the behaviour, language, mannerisms, (attitude?) of young Londoners is one that I would definitely call "black". Kids aren't like that in Dundee. But that is simply because there aren't any black kids in Dundee. We still have mostly the same poor behaviour, and mostly similar social problems (arguably greater deprivation) but it's white kids that are the drug-dealers, the petty thieves, the errant "baby-daddies"...

I think that with reference to London especially, it's too easy to identify the problem as a black culture problem, purely because black people are highly visible components of the 'underclass'.

Lack of parental responsibility, and a shameful poverty of ambition are not a race thing. It's a fundamental problem of the entire country.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think not only is he extremely clumsy with his language but I also think there is quite a strong odor of racism with his analysis. I understand he's a historian and we know they just make up stories, but he's an accomplished academic and quite frankly his assessment should be a lot more measured and thoughtful. That said, he's more of a television personality these days and one that is trying to be provocative in order to still be relevant.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:44 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

"What's happened is a substantial section of the chavs have become black, the whites have become black . . . A particular sort of violent, destructive, nihilistic gangster culture has become fashion, and the black and white, boy and girl, operate in this language together."

Full article
He's doing the reactionary old buffer routine that plays well with the Daily Mail crowd. (Just read the comments to the article you quoted)

For the most part he's talking b******s, though the predictable "right on" witch-hunt that's now under way is equally nauseating. (Piers Morgan taking the moral high ground? - f**k off)
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Full article
This guy is talking a load of bullocks in my opinion. Sheer ignorance...
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Full article
There is definately an under current of Gang culture in many British children.

I believe "Ali G" mimicked it best and it was why he was so popular. Although it's probably not so funny now he really hit the nail on the head.

Kid's want to dress and emulate the rappers and talk in a silly dialect for recognition by their peers regardless of the fact that it will probably reduce their chances of getting even a basic customer service job.

David Starkey is probably using inappropriate language because he describes some one as "black" which you just don't do these days, but I do agree that Britain has a problem with a youth gang culture and that something in the long run needs to be done to re-engage youngsters.

In my day we had Cubs and Scouts. I seldom see those groups now- maybe it's because I'm not looking but who knows.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
There is definately an under current of Gang culture in many British children.

I believe "Ali G" mimicked it best and it was why he was so popular. Although it's probably not so funny now he really hit the nail on the head.

Kid's want to dress and emulate the rappers and talk in a silly dialect for recognition by their peers regardless of the fact that it will probably reduce their chances of getting even a basic customer service job.

David Starkey is probably using inappropriate language because he describes some one as "black" which you just don't do these days, but I do agree that Britain has a problem with a youth gang culture and that something in the long run needs to be done to re-engage youngsters.

In my day we had Cubs and Scouts. I seldom see those groups now- maybe it's because I'm not looking but who knows.
Most youths want to distinguish themselves from previous generations, whether it's language, dress, behavior etc. All the better if it offends or acts in opposition to the dominant older generation. Given the propensity of larger cities to have concentrations of immigrants its no wonder that all these youth have adopted a style that incorporates elements of their first-culture. And, given many white kids have also adopted such signifiers is hardly surprising, they’ve been doing this in one form or another for decades.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Hastings E. Sussex, we got our annual summer visits of the Mods & The Rockers, running battles on the beach was common and the Carlise Pub got smashed up every time
Looks like the sentancing is still pretty pathetic in the UK even with the increased sentances.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/riot-jail-t...030527083.html
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I grew up in Hastings E. Sussex, we got our annual summer visits of the Mods & The Rockers, running battles on the beach was common and the Carlise Pub got smashed up every time
Looks like the sentancing is still pretty pathetic in the UK even with the increased sentances.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/riot-jail-t...030527083.html
I was in Hastings E. Sussex this month. No Mods. No Rockers. No running battles.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was in Hastings E. Sussex this month. No Mods. No Rockers. No running battles.
Back in the day you wally.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:27 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Back in the day the Germans had issues with Paris. So.......
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I bought a 'get angry and riot' t-shirt a few weeks ago from one of the classifieds in viz. I haven't worn it yet, but I think it's time.
Well, I did and I got some po-faced Vancouver lady waving her finger whilst hectoring me. I was running on the seawall at the time and had headphones on so I have no idea what she was saying.

The missus said somebody would say something because that's what people do here. Still, I thought people would see the funny side, but no the humourless stereotype is reinforced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.