Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's cold... brrrrrrr

It's cold... brrrrrrr

Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:13 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's cold... brrrrrrr

Originally Posted by orly
University of Guelph obviously hired some rookies to clear their parking lots this morning. What a mess. Someone got beached and every corner/intersection was badly done meaning there were little islands of high snow in the natural turning areas. Ended up reversing my way back out instead of trying to gun it through.
Always amazed that more people don't know that trick

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Meanwhile some where in Canada:
Nice one
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of snow here. Blew the driveway this morning then had to wait for the plough because the road was impassable. Then blew out the windrow. Came back this afternoon and there was no sign of the driveway, it was under 18" of snow. Parked on the street, blew it out again, brought the car in. Was just out walking the dog and the driveway's gone again. If it gets as cold overnight as threatened all that snow will freeze and it'll be quite the bother to clear it.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:45 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Once again Peterborough misses the worst of the weather. Thank goodness, my drive home at midnight was stressful, today I wimped out of a dentist appointment. Ugh.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:46 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lots of snow here. Blew the driveway this morning then had to wait for the plough because the road was impassable. Then blew out the windrow. Came back this afternoon and there was no sign of the driveway, it was under 18" of snow. Parked on the street, blew it out again, brought the car in. Was just out walking the dog and the driveway's gone again. If it gets as cold overnight as threatened all that snow will freeze and it'll be quite the bother to clear it.
Oh my, where are you, we have hardly any
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ofcourse you haven't. Nothing happens in Ajax.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:50 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ofcourse you haven't. Nothing happens in Ajax.
Hey now cheeky....

I have you know a Brit/Canadian attended at the Canada Services today and ordered a 10 year passport, thats exiting for Ajax Well for me
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile some where in Canada:
That reminds me of an email I inexplicably received today from a very old friend in Kent.

It was a joke of equally ancient provenance. You know, the one about the husband shop with six floors.

I've no idea why he sent it to me, he should have sent it to you.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:07 am

Its ok i already have a Canadian joke guy who sends me the worst of the worst.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its ok i already have a Canadian joke guy who sends me the worst of the worst.
I guessed.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it me, or are people unreasonable when things like flight delays happen because of cold weather and people expect airlines to run like its a perfect sunny day and 20 degrees. Reading the facebook posts of people, I am so so glad I left the airline industry..I so don't miss the 24 hour days during winter irregular ops.

Anyhow, same old weather here. Currently 3 and to be 6 later today.

Haven't even had to turn on the heat this winter....
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:09 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

^ Funny you say that!! I'm camped out at Gatwick at the moment, flight home is delayed by 5.5 hours because of the weather. I'm slightly grumpy but know it's not the airline's fault - stupid snow and ice!!

The lady at the check-in desk was telling me that when the plane landed in Toronto yesterday, it was so caked with ice that they had to use a chisel on the outside of the airplane to open the doors and the luggage hatches. Took them awhile just to get into the plane. Then it took HOURS to de-ice it and get it ready to fly back to Gatwick - resulted in the 5h delay that I'm facing now. (At least I'm camped out in the lounge killing time... although it's my last free lounge entry and there's technically a time limit of 3 hours per stay, so here's hoping they don't notice, as I've already been here over an hour and am planning on staying for another 5 or so...)
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:50 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I have the news on and Toronto's Pearson is shut down pretty good so 5 hrs is probably optimistic. They are doing the only thing they can, which is bringing in extra police for crowd control. Air Canada had to put 2.200 people up in hotels. In Chicago the glycol in the de-icers got too cold to function. Sorry it isn't good news - I'm just the messenger.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

West of Grand Valley ON. I took the dog out this morning and there was the expected crust over the driveway. A grader just went by so I expect the road's usable but there's still a blizzard in progress, I'll wait for light before investigating.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:59 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're screwed. Wind chill close to -40 and 15cm of blowing snow. I'm thinking you should take a snow day.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I have the news on and Toronto's Pearson is shut down pretty good so 5 hrs is probably optimistic. They are doing the only thing they can, which is bringing in extra police for crowd control. Air Canada had to put 2.200 people up in hotels. In Chicago the glycol in the de-icers got too cold to function. Sorry it isn't good news - I'm just the messenger.
Currently -11F at O'hare according to weather channel, with -27F if you add in the windchill. Supposed to see +8F for the high.

I had a plane come into O'hare once when working there in temps nowhere near this old, but came in with doors iced over, took maintenance over an hour to get the passenger door opened, we left the bags on until the next day due to no deicing crew being available that night since all the departures had left for the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.