Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's cold... brrrrrrr

It's cold... brrrrrrr

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's cold... brrrrrrr

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
The oil in the gearbox wasn't very liquid - first half dozen gearchanges were somewhat notchy...
I have that fancy snow blower, it clears the drive in two passes. Alas before I can move on to the drive I have to wait for the oil in the steering to decoagulate.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I hope you dont have the morgan out in this!

The clutch in the civic is hydraulic I think, every change this morning was like there was a tennis ball under the pedal!
No, that's safely tucked up in the garage. I think the last time it was out was before the end of November. This is the longest it's gone without a run out since arriving in Canada, every year for the past half dozen there's been a few days in Dec or Jan that are mild/dry enough to go for a quick blast.

My commuting box, a Hyundai Accent, has a hydraulic clutch. I know that because the master cylinder sprung a leak a couple of months ago, which made it somewhat difficult to drive... to get it to the dealership for a repair, I had to knock it out of gear, then pump the pedal like fury half a dozen times to get enough pressure in the line to disengage the clutch to select the next one. Yay for Hyundai's 5-year powertrain warranty. I like invoices that have $0.00 on the bottom line.

The clutch wasn't the problem this morning, though - it's simply that the oil was more than usually viscous. It can't be doing the engine any favours to have all the valve lifters rattling around like a bag of marbles for the first few minutes, either...
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:16 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

you take good care of that car. We have a gentleman's agreement about a spin in it
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dryden - in the bit of Ontario that everyone forgets about.
rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

My engine block heater is getting more use than usual this year. The engine is one thing but when the seats are frozen solid and the tyres take several minutes to become round again, you know it's cold.
The coldest we've seen (in our 5 years here) was on New Years Day. A chilly -39.3 according to our house thermometer. We've had several days of -37/38 this winter so the -24 for this mornings dog walk was nice and bearable.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh -12 here... I know its colder where you guys are but im still FREEZING ! Especially when I look at the +14 temperatures back home...
Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

More cold weather coming

Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhh ... Come on! A friend is in Bristol right now and its +7 there.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

This is not - yet - the coldest winter I have experienced in the Great White Wilderness of Qc, but we're getting close :-(

I've stopped looking at the thermometre, & am cursing G. Vigneault. My car isn't too happy either, although it did laugh, cough & splutter in my face this morning (minus something 'orribly awful involving 4 as the number following the minus sign...;-( )

I'd be happy with anything above -15, at the moment, quite frankly!
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We've had so many days in the minus 30s (with the windchill) I'd quite forgotten that -27 was still painfully cold on the face until I popped out to the local shop the other day.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of snow here. We set out this morning, went along two concessions then saw a car in the ditch. I suppose I was looking at that but, anyway, I failed to notice a 3' snow drift across the road. Whomp! We were stuck.

Fortunately passers-by here carry chains.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'd be happy with anything above -15, at the moment, quite frankly!
Yeah! Breathable temps at last this morning;-) I'm off to see about replacing my recalcitrant & annoying Chevvy for a reliable Subaru ... (I regret ever having thought I could get by here without one)
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ugh... Blowing snow drifts came last night! Snow. Fricking. Everywhere. Oh. My. God. Ahhh!
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Supposed to be +11 today, currently +6.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:43 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

No point whinging about the weather, it is what it is...make the most of it i.e. embrace the .......... snow y'all

Tis Canada after all
Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Forecast - 5cm, reality 20cm + drifting and more to come over the weekend. It's also going to dip to -19c (without the wind chill) tonight so it will all freeze and be slippery as hell, sigh.

I'm so fed up with snow and it's not even February yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.