Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

word from a dermatologist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2dTnRJTNdA
Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain! I had my worst winter since we arrived last year and was in complete misery with itchy, irritated skin, this year nothing!

Anyways the secret is not to moisturize, it is to hydrate. Humidifiers a must in the bedroom and sitting areas of house.

Moisturizers will irritate as they just put a layer on top of the irritated skin and not allow it to breath whereas hydrators work below the skin surface. Never use Aveeno, E45 or any of those moisturisers.

Visit your pharmacist and stock up on a shower gel that is sold for children with ezcema (can't remember name) and don't use flannels, scrunchies just the palms of your hands in a luke warm shower. Pat yourself down with towel so you don't inflame the skin and when you are still wet liberally apply Oilatim (pharmacy counter). Carry on applying Oilatim throughout the day. This will bring down the redness and burning but could take some weeks to clear away.

Definitely women (of a hormonal age) are going to suffer more than most. However, stocked up expecting it back this year with vengeance but nothing, thank god as its miserable.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 2:53 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mardyarse
I feel your pain! I had my worst winter since we arrived last year and was in complete misery with itchy, irritated skin, this year nothing!

Anyways the secret is not to moisturize, it is to hydrate. Humidifiers a must in the bedroom and sitting areas of house.

Moisturizers will irritate as they just put a layer on top of the irritated skin and not allow it to breath whereas hydrators work below the skin surface. Never use Aveeno, E45 or any of those moisturisers.

Visit your pharmacist and stock up on a shower gel that is sold for children with ezcema (can't remember name) and don't use flannels, scrunchies just the palms of your hands in a luke warm shower. Pat yourself down with towel so you don't inflame the skin and when you are still wet liberally apply Oilatim (pharmacy counter). Carry on applying Oilatim throughout the day. This will bring down the redness and burning but could take some weeks to clear away.

Definitely women (of a hormonal age) are going to suffer more than most. However, stocked up expecting it back this year with vengeance but nothing, thank god as its miserable.
Thanks MA....I've been using extra virgin olive oil and it's been a great success...takes a wee bit of time to rub in but the skin on my body is as soft as silk. The only problem area I have is on my scalp but for obvious reasons I can't use olive oil there! Have tried various itchy scalp treatments/shampoos but still itchy. We still haven't invested in the humidifer....maybe we should just stop being lazy and get out there to buy one! I also find I'm so thirsty and can't drink enough water! I would say my skin is definitely more suited to the UK climate. Rubbish, that!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Thanks MA....I've been using extra virgin olive oil and it's been a great success...takes a wee bit of time to rub in but the skin on my body is as soft as silk. The only problem area I have is on my scalp but for obvious reasons I can't use olive oil there! Have tried various itchy scalp treatments/shampoos but still itchy. We still haven't invested in the humidifer....maybe we should just stop being lazy and get out there to buy one! I also find I'm so thirsty and can't drink enough water! I would say my skin is definitely more suited to the UK climate. Rubbish, that!
Excessive thirst and dry skin? See a doctor.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:02 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bats
Excessive thirst and dry skin? See a doctor.
Pray tell your thoughts.....
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:15 pm
limey party pooper

Pray tell your thoughts.....
Thyroid
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:18 pm

Thyroid
Hmmmm....interesting. My mum had hyper thyroid problems, so does my eldest sister....maybe I should get it checked. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:21 pm
limey party pooper

Hmmmm....interesting. My mum had hyper thyroid problems, so does my eldest sister....maybe I should get it checked. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hyper? I wasthinking hypo, but it is familial so get checked. I was recntly diagnosed so am now able to say that it is my glands
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:54 pm

Hyper? I wasthinking hypo, but it is familial so get checked. I was recntly diagnosed so am now able to say that it is my glands
You're probably right correct in saying Hypo

Well I'll see how it goes.....my skin is better now I'm slathered in olive oil....if the thirst persists maybe I'll get checked out. But thanks for the suggestion, it's useful to know.