Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
When my skin gets itchy I use Aveeno - it's great stuff - they do shower gels and all sorts over here.

I use Mary Kay intense moisturising cream on my face (otherwise it itches).

I also had to stop using tide washing detergent - it made my skin go crazy....

I also use body lotion all over every day.

You just have to find the right products - trial and error really.

We all use Aveeno although our old GP in the UK used to prescribe the moisturizer and bath oil in huge quantities for our daughters eczema it's a bit of a shocker having to buy it now
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The best lip balm is anice layer of lard from the chips atGreat Yarmouth.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Okay, a humidifier it is then! Thanks for the advice. Not sure about bathing less though, I'm a clean freak. I don't tend to use soap though, too drying.

There's me using all the fans in the apartment when I'm showering/using the tumble dryer etc. Perhaps I should just let it steam the place up! I just thought it would cause our clothes etc to go mouldy.
You can clean yourself with aqueaus cream, E45 in the UK. Then just wash the smelly bits.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:15 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Dotty P,

My skin is terrible in the UK winter, I dread to think what would happen in Canada!

I use an oil based moisturiser, either Cetraben or Double Base. Try and avoid perfumed moisturisers with loads of chemicals, I find they irritate my skin and make it much more itchy. Here's a trick the doc told me when hands get really dry - before you go to bed rub a layer of moisturiser into your hands and then apply a second layer but do not rub it in totally. Then put some latex gloves over your hands and go to sleep. In the morning they are much less chapped and sore.

Another thing to do is run a bath and add a petroleum jelly type substance. It moisturises your skin all over. Although be careful it makes the tub very slippery!

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I am going to look so attractive at bedtime! Hey ho....if it means we both get a good night of sleep, I guess I'll just have to slather it all on and sleep in a dustbin bag

Do people on the pacific side suffer so much, with it being more wet? Perhaps we should all move there!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
As a general rule the colder it is the less moisture the air will hold, and the harder it is to keep the RH in the comfort zone... there are table/ charts out there that show total actual humidity levels (not relative humidity) with temperature.

50% Relative Humidity means the air is holding 50% of the total moisture it could at that temperature, but in practice the same air by the window which will be at a much lower temperature will be condensing on the window and causing mould or rotted frames... its a balancing act.

We have had a kitchen clock for years that has a Hydro % scale on it. We never thought it worked as it always stayed at about 55 - 60%. I just read your post and went to look at the clock. The scale stops at 30% and the needle is below this off the scale

Our old house was always condensated and in the winter it was a complete chore wiping all the windows before the frames went black with mould. Needless to say no condensation here
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:18 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bats
There's no need to keeep the place full of steam, you need some ventilation as well but those humidifiers can only do so much so you do need to get some water into the air quickly then let the himudifier maintain it. I hate the noise from them and think that the filter things in them throw more mould out into the air. If you have a wood stove put a ketltle or pan on there.
Oh to have a wood burning stove.....cosy evenings, warm glow.......

We live in an apartment block, the only wood burning in here is when I turn the telly to the 'yuletide fireside' channel!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it's more the humidity thing than the detergent thing to be honest. I spark off everything at the mo....shopping in the supermarket is an electrifying experience and even putting the key in the front door lock causes a spark! And there's me thinking it was just my electrifying personality

Yep, itching is not a good look and I think my OH is getting miffed with me scratching all night
I dread going shopping for that reason, I get shocks off cans, off the cart, off just about everything - and it hurts to the degree that I yelp! I don't half get some strange looks, lol.

Good old static...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its hormonal? It happened to my nan when she retired.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Nah, I have always suffered with static problems, when I was a kid I couldn't wear wind up watches because they would stop or go backwards, as a teenager I would get shocks off carpets and metal bannisters, it's a lifelong thing - just worse here!

It's when you take a sweater off and a) your hair stands on end and b) you hear crackling and if you look in the mirror at dusk as you do it, you see a nice 'blue' halo!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Nah, I have always suffered with static problems, when I was a kid I couldn't wear wind up watches because they would stop or go backwards, as a teenager I would get shocks off carpets and metal bannisters, it's a lifelong thing - just worse here!

It's when you take a sweater off and a) your hair stands on end and b) you hear crackling and if you look in the mirror at dusk as you do it, you see a nice 'blue' halo!

Thats what i'm like, taking your jumper off in the dark is like watching fireworks
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
You can go off somebody v e r y quickly you know
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:06 pm

Light bulb moment! I just realised we have a digital weather station thingy.....it says the indoor RH is 32%.....erm, is that good or bad?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Might be worth getting a digital thermometer with the relative humidity reading, and try and keep it between 50 and 60% if you can. My house air has been as low as 35% RH
Iaink told you what it should be for comfort
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie
Iaink told you what it should be for comfort
D'oh....so he did .

Basically then, we're fried! I feel a trip to good old Canadian Tire this weekend then!

Last edited by Dotty P; Jan 4th 2013 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BE peops!

Since winter started I'm so flipping itchy, it's driving me insane! My scalp is on fire too! I've tried all the creams/shampoos/conditioners for dry/extra dry skin but still....I ITCH! Does anybody else suffer from this since they arrived here? I feel like Nitty flippin' Nora! I definitely don't have nits or fleas but wondered if a kindly soul might be able to advise whether this is (a) normal (or should I see a doc), or (b) if it is, give me some tips to alleviate this wretched itching.

Thanks!
Itchy scalp...yes and it drives me crazy. I only noticed it during the dry winter months but the last couple of years I've had it during the summer too. I find TGel extra strength shampoo helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.