Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all
Default Re: Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

In Calgary area our humidity in the house hovers between 40 and 45% in the winter months, with a humidifier; before we had that installed 30% humidity was not uncommon and static shocks that could light up a dark room! There is a cream called Glaxalwellbase that you can buy in the stores (comes in a tub) which my father-in-law uses (he has psorisis), and try a bath oil called Oilatum that you can get (although it it sometimes hard to track down over here).

Do check your laundry detergent as someone else suggested there are some rather over-powering perfumes in some of them; we now use the Costco Kirkland brand non-scented/non-dyed and that works just fine.

I feel for you, when I lived in Colorado (8,000+feet above sea level) if I didn't moisturise before going to bed in the winter months I'd itch like crazy!

Good luck Helen
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Cant guarantee that, it is still winter after all. The Touque is not kind to hair...
very true
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's called winter itch! The first couple of years I was here I suffered terribly from it, despite chucking on tons of moisturiser (it was mostly my legs and stomach that I had it on). I found the only one that worked for me was Gold Bond. The other thing I would suggest is as soon as you get out of the shower but before you start to dry, chuck on a ton of moisturiser whilst your skin is wet and let yourself air dry.

The one thing I can't stop - despite trying most things - is lips splitting I have 2 splits that open up every night during the winter - gross!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie , you might want to swap brands of lip balm. It must be something to do with the ingredients bit I've found two distinct "types" depending on the brand.

Some feel waxy and kind of work by trapping in the moisture that is already there ( body shop ones feel like this to me) but will actually crack your lips if they are dry to start with and others seem to actually add moisture to drying lips.

If your lips are cracked then obviously you need to try to avoid the first type. Ironically the best lip balm I've found is the one that Ben's dentist give out for free. He regularly steals me a supply. Failing that the Rexall own brand ones are good.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Siouxie , you might want to swap brands of lip balm. It must be something to do with the ingredients bit I've found two distinct "types" depending on the brand.

Some feel waxy and kind of work by trapping in the moisture that is already there ( body shop ones feel like this to me) but will actually crack your lips if they are dry to start with and others seem to actually add moisture to drying lips.

If your lips are cracked then obviously you need to try to avoid the first type. Ironically the best lip balm I've found is the one that Ben's dentist give out for free. He regularly steals me a supply. Failing that the Rexall own brand ones are good.
Thank you

I don't tend to use lipbalm too much as it does dry your lips out somewhat over time, good old Vaseline helps a bit but I will have a look at the Rexall ones, so thank you for the advice. My lips split all the time now during the winter and it's really disgusting!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Thank you

I don't tend to use lipbalm too much as it does dry your lips out somewhat over time, good old Vaseline helps a bit but I will have a look at the Rexall ones, so thank you for the advice. My lips split all the time now during the winter and it's really disgusting!

I asked my dentist about this and Vaseline was his recommendation too.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

When my skin gets itchy I use Aveeno - it's great stuff - they do shower gels and all sorts over here.

I use Mary Kay intense moisturising cream on my face (otherwise it itches).

I also had to stop using tide washing detergent - it made my skin go crazy....

I also use body lotion all over every day.

You just have to find the right products - trial and error really.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:49 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bats
You definitely need a humidifier, better still boil pans of water and get some steam into the air, keep boiling until you see steam on the windows. Bathe less too!
Okay, a humidifier it is then! Thanks for the advice. Not sure about bathing less though, I'm a clean freak. I don't tend to use soap though, too drying.

There's me using all the fans in the apartment when I'm showering/using the tumble dryer etc. Perhaps I should just let it steam the place up! I just thought it would cause our clothes etc to go mouldy.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:51 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Bingo, that's it in a nutshell. Is there a lot of condensation on your windows already? If not then a humidifier is probably your best bet.

You dont want too much though, there is a happy balance between itchyness and mould!

Might be worth getting a digital thermometer with the relative humidity reading, and try and keep it between 50 and 60% if you can. My house air has been as low as 35% RH
Ah ha! I already answered Bats and then looked at your reply. Hmmm.....so it's a bit of a science. I think I'll suggest getting the humidifer then rather than let thr place steam up! Thanks for all the advice!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:56 pm

[QUOTE=HPJOS;10464097]In Calgary area our humidity in the house hovers between 40 and 45% in the winter months, with a humidifier; before we had that installed 30% humidity was not uncommon and static shocks that could light up a dark room! There is a cream called Glaxalwellbase that you can buy in the stores (comes in a tub) which my father-in-law uses (he has psorisis), and try a bath oil called Oilatum that you can get (although it it sometimes hard to track down over here).

Do check your laundry detergent as someone else suggested there are some rather over-powering perfumes in some of them; we now use the Costco Kirkland brand non-scented/non-dyed and that works just fine.

I feel for you, when I lived in Colorado (8,000+feet above sea level) if I didn't moisturise before going to bed in the winter months I'd itch like crazy!

I reckon it's more the humidity thing than the detergent thing to be honest. I spark off everything at the mo....shopping in the supermarket is an electrifying experience and even putting the key in the front door lock causes a spark! And there's me thinking it was just my electrifying personality

Yep, itching is not a good look and I think my OH is getting miffed with me scratching all night
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie
It's called winter itch! The first couple of years I was here I suffered terribly from it, despite chucking on tons of moisturiser (it was mostly my legs and stomach that I had it on). I found the only one that worked for me was Gold Bond. The other thing I would suggest is as soon as you get out of the shower but before you start to dry, chuck on a ton of moisturiser whilst your skin is wet and let yourself air dry.

The one thing I can't stop - despite trying most things - is lips splitting I have 2 splits that open up every night during the winter - gross!
Oh eck! Red veins, lips splitting, scratching like a flea bitten dog....how very attractive moving to Canada can be
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule the colder it is the less moisture the air will hold, and the harder it is to keep the RH in the comfort zone... there are table/ charts out there that show total actual humidity levels (not relative humidity) with temperature.

50% Relative Humidity means the air is holding 50% of the total moisture it could at that temperature, but in practice the same air by the window which will be at a much lower temperature will be condensing on the window and causing mould or rotted frames... its a balancing act.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:02 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Hello BE peops!

Since winter started I'm so flipping itchy, it's driving me insane! My scalp is on fire too! I've tried all the creams/shampoos/conditioners for dry/extra dry skin but still....I ITCH! Does anybody else suffer from this since they arrived here? I feel like Nitty flippin' Nora! I definitely don't have nits or fleas but wondered if a kindly soul might be able to advise whether this is (a) normal (or should I see a doc), or (b) if it is, give me some tips to alleviate this wretched itching.

Thanks!
Hi Dotty P,

My skin is terrible in the UK winter, I dread to think what would happen in Canada!

I use an oil based moisturiser, either Cetraben or Double Base. Try and avoid perfumed moisturisers with loads of chemicals, I find they irritate my skin and make it much more itchy. Here's a trick the doc told me when hands get really dry - before you go to bed rub a layer of moisturiser into your hands and then apply a second layer but do not rub it in totally. Then put some latex gloves over your hands and go to sleep. In the morning they are much less chapped and sore.

Another thing to do is run a bath and add a petroleum jelly type substance. It moisturises your skin all over. Although be careful it makes the tub very slippery!

Good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:03 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, just realised you were referring to your scalp, not hands! Ah well if anyone has dry hands see above!!!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to keeep the place full of steam, you need some ventilation as well but those humidifiers can only do so much so you do need to get some water into the air quickly then let the himudifier maintain it. I hate the noise from them and think that the filter things in them throw more mould out into the air. If you have a wood stove put a ketltle or pan on there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.