Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Not sure on that one. All I know it that I've had really dry skin on my hands on and off for about 10 years now. The only time it went away was when I left the UK for a year to travel. Landed in Rio de Janeiro, it cleared up and disappeared until I landed back in the UK 13 months later, then it was back within 2 weeks! Think it's the cold damp air. I'm off to live in New Zealand at the end of the month, my doc reckons it'll improve when I get there
Never had problem with itchy skin in the damp UK...just in the North American dry winters.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:33 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Never had problem with itchy skin in the damp UK...just in the North American dry winters.
I'm probably just allergic to the UK
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Take vitamin B12.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I'm probably just allergic to the UK
Glam I am not.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither.

Although one thing I did used to get in the UK was joint pain I have hypermobility. In the UK on a scale of 1 to 10 I would be in the region of 7 in discomfort since moving to Canada generally it's at a 2 out of 10.

I still have bad days over here but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

I was told by my Dr. that the pain/discomfort is very similar to that of which someone with arthritis would suffer so I'm wondering if there are others who can report the same?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Me neither.

Although one thing I did used to get in the UK was joint pain I have hypermobility. In the UK on a scale of 1 to 10 I would be in the region of 7 in discomfort since moving to Canada generally it's at a 2 out of 10.

I still have bad days over here but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

I was told by my Dr. that the pain/discomfort is very similar to that of which someone with arthritis would suffer so I'm wondering if there are others who can report the same?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility
AFAIK damp weather is generally bad for arthritis.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK damp weather is generally bad for arthritis.
That would make sense.

It was a very welcome surprise when I first got here!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Thanks for the advice. I am going to look so attractive at bedtime! Hey ho....if it means we both get a good night of sleep, I guess I'll just have to slather it all on and sleep in a dustbin bag

Do people on the pacific side suffer so much, with it being more wet? Perhaps we should all move there!
Hi
My husband moved to Vancouver Island in July. He had mild eczema on his hands at home. Since moving here, whether it's the water or the environment, he has had no problems with his skin. We (the kids and myself) arrived in October and no one has itched yet. Until reading this thread.....when it's like chatting about headlice and then everyone itches
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:27 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi
My husband moved to Vancouver Island in July. He had mild eczema on his hands at home. Since moving here, whether it's the water or the environment, he has had no problems with his skin. We (the kids and myself) arrived in October and no one has itched yet. Until reading this thread.....when it's like chatting about headlice and then everyone itches
Get yourself round to Naveed's for some vosene!
(seriously hoping your username is infact Still Game Jack and Victor, or this was completely pointless )
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dollface
Get yourself round to Naveed's for some vosene!
(seriously hoping your username is infact Still Game Jack and Victor, or this was completely pointless )
Yip, got it in one!
Naveed's here we come....perhaps I could be the wife whose face is never seen!!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:51 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Yip, got it in one!
Naveed's here we come....perhaps I could be the wife whose face is never seen!!
beats Isa!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:03 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BE peops!

Since winter started I'm so flipping itchy, it's driving me insane! My scalp is on fire too! I've tried all the creams/shampoos/conditioners for dry/extra dry skin but still....I ITCH! Does anybody else suffer from this since they arrived here? I feel like Nitty flippin' Nora! I definitely don't have nits or fleas but wondered if a kindly soul might be able to advise whether this is (a) normal (or should I see a doc), or (b) if it is, give me some tips to alleviate this wretched itching.

Thanks!
Hi Dotty - I have full sympathy! During my first Jan/Feb here in Calgary I thought my face was going to fall off I was an Olay fan but it just doesn't cut it here.

I use Argan oil now and it's been brilliant.

Using oil is way way better for you than moisturizers.

Good luck with all your experiments! J
Old Jan 8th 2013, 3:13 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jingle
Hi Dotty - I have full sympathy! During my first Jan/Feb here in Calgary I thought my face was going to fall off I was an Olay fan but it just doesn't cut it here.

I use Argan oil now and it's been brilliant.

Using oil is way way better for you than moisturizers.

Good luck with all your experiments! J
Thanks Jingle! My sister in Italy uses Argan Oil and swears by it. We didn't get the humidifier yet.....but hopefully we will soon.

Not sure if I prefer the winter itch or the summer sweats! Actually, both are very unpleasant, doesn't do much for looking your best!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:52 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jingle! My sister in Italy uses Argan Oil and swears by it. We didn't get the humidifier yet.....but hopefully we will soon.

Not sure if I prefer the winter itch or the summer sweats! Actually, both are very unpleasant, doesn't do much for looking your best!
certainly doesn't ..... gets worse as you get older too! Not enough oil in the world........

J
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

I have always had dry and itchy skin to some extent but yes so much worse in Calgary. A good humidifier should really help.

We have had a humidifier in the bedroom since we got here but recently got a better one and put old one in the bonus room. The bonus room was famous for static shocks, big bad ass static shocks We played paper/scissor/stone to see who would have to turn the TV off. We even had a pole to use to flick light switches. Well no more, the addition of the humidifier in the room has totally fixed the problem!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.