Groceries

Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
Which taxes do you think will be going up? While small businesses are struggling and new benefits are being announced, where can they apply the screws? Not on fuel while travel is stymied, not on meals while restaurants are going bankrupt, not an increase in sales tax while stores are half shut down. Billions of stimulus dollars certainly have to come from somewhere, but I don't think the government can start clawing it back in the middle of the pandemic. Maybe they would like to increase income tax on the very wealthy, but.I would expect a soft approach to that as well.
I think it will be a straight forward income tax increase, and/or sales tax increase, not now of course in the middle of the pandemic, but when things are just starting to get back to normal...post vaccinations, when restrictions are lifted, and life is showing signs of normailty again,,, that is when we will see it. It stands to reason, the debt has to be paid and its a huge debt.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

this thread is about Groceries............ not taxes... thank you!
Take the taxes to another thread please, if you want to continue to discuss them.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Turkey on sale this week - less than half price for some! The bigger the turkey, the bigger the saving.. Fortino's have a 10kg Butterball Turkey at less than half price! (too big by far for me, but even the smaller ones are around half price)

Grade A Frozen Turkey

• $32.80(est.)ea
  • $75.40(est.)
  • $3.28/ 1kg
  • $1.49/ 1lb
Average weight is 10.0 KG

ButterballFrozen Turkey, 3-5kg

SAVE $17.04
  • $13.12(est.)ea
  • $30.16(est.)
  • $3.28/ 1kg
  • $1.49/ 1lb
Old Dec 15th 2020, 3:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

This went from 5 or 6 on offer to 1 in about 10 minutes.

Old Dec 15th 2020, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This went from 5 or 6 on offer to 1 in about 10 minutes.

I can see why it would go so fast...lol
Old Dec 16th 2020, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Nearest import shop has upped their game recently. Mr Kipling festive bakewells!

(no I probably wouldn’t ever have bought them in Tesco, and certainly not at that price, but ...)
Old Dec 18th 2020, 2:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For more than a year now, Walmart has been the best provider of bread. Very fresh and tasty.
The Bakery has been the brand - and crusty wheat and crusty white have been the loaves for $1.

I've not been to the store for a while so this may just be an Instacart thing, but I have tried it as a special order and they still have none.

Instead they have Italian (Fresh Market) and it's nowhere near as good.

They still do The Bakery calabrese and ciabatta buns so the supplier/bakery is obviously still working with Walmart. I did wonder if the bakery wasn't doing the bread because of covid issues, but the buns shows they are still baking.

It's a damn shame. Sobeys does a great Belgian loaf but it's over three times the cost of the Walmart ones.

Anyone heard anything about this earth shattering disappointment?

Old Jan 2nd 2021, 1:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't speak for the bacon wrapped ones - it's still in the freezer - but the seasoned pork loin ones, with the pup-up thermometers, are pretty good and worth the normal price of $9 or $10
I cooked the Marc Angelo seasoned pork roast last night and I'm not impressed. The pork is good, the bacon is good, but that seasoning or marinade it's bagged with isn't something I'd get again. It's the first time I've had something with the pop-up indicator, so that was a bit interesting. Now I know.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's the first time I've had something with the pop-up indicator, so that was a bit interesting. Now I know.
The first time I had something with those was a bargain price meatloaf bought from the local meat/general store.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I cooked the Marc Angelo seasoned pork roast last night and I'm not impressed. The pork is good, the bacon is good, but that seasoning or marinade it's bagged with isn't something I'd get again. It's the first time I've had something with the pop-up indicator, so that was a bit interesting. Now I know.

I wasn't a fan of the seasoning either, the pork itself came out nice, but the seasoning wasn't something I'd say I would want again. The pop up thing made things easier, no guessing when done, although I still used a normal thermometer to double check the temp.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 12:04 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The pop up thing made things easier, no guessing when done, although I still used a normal thermometer to double check the temp.
Those pop-up things are the only ones I ever used. They've already popped up when I've done it by the suggested time.

Thing is, when I cook beef, two of us like rare and the other two like well done. A thermometer doesn't sound like it would help and I aim for outer well done and inner more to my taste.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Those pop-up things are the only ones I ever used. They've already popped up when I've done it by the suggested time.

Thing is, when I cook beef, two of us like rare and the other two like well done. A thermometer doesn't sound like it would help and I aim for outer well done and inner more to my taste.
I like well down. I usually cook in the crock pot and these little things pop up so quick sometimes, I haven't grown to trust them....but so far they seem pretty accurate, just when your expecting something to take 4 hours and its done in 2 1/2 according to the pop up thing, I was a little suspicious the first time.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 3:44 am
Banned

I can remember buying turkeys with a pop up button back in the 80's in Hong Kong
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 4:21 am
Account Closed

I guess Pillsbury has given up on the "do not eat raw" cookie dough and just make their cookie dough safe to eat raw, unsure how they do it, but they advertise right on the front, bake or eat raw.

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Food is going up in price little by little. We now eat almost no meat. Purchased at Wal-Mart they tend to have the lowest overall prices of the stores available.

$94.06 got:

- Bran flake cereal, generic brand

- Thai brown jasmine rice

- dry black beans

- 2 apple sauce packages -

- Oatmeal

- Frozen mixed berries

- Frozen broccoli

- Bag of frozen zucchini

- cheese

- 6 pack coke

- Peanut Butter

- sourdough bread

- milk

- 30 eggs
Morning/Afternoon/Evening All,

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in on the thread but been doing my research as hoping to make the move over to BC from UK one day and the food prices seem extortionate. I know some things are cheaper and some are more expensive but food in particular seems steep. I just did a quick comparison on the above shopping list on my Tesco app and the cost is £25.21 or $43.91 using today’s exchange rate. Am I understanding this correctly? How are those on minimum wage supposed to feed themselves and their children when food prices are this high? It’s not something that would put me off as I understand things like petrol/diesel and gas/electric appears to be much cheaper than here in the UK but my goodness, why are the costs so high?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 3rd 2021 at 4:01 pm. Reason: reduced image size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.