Groceries

Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wal-Mart tonight had frozen meat with simple label on it, and very low price, looked at them and the label says "Sysco Specialty Meat" and appears they were meant to be sold in restaurants, sold frozen in vacuum packed individual packages with a basic label, not your typical retail level consumer packaging.
I hope you grabbed some - their meat looks to be very good! https://www.sysco.ca/Products/Produc...alty-Meat.html

I suppose now that so many restaurants have had to close their doors or at least restrict the amount of customers they can have, they need to sell off their stocks before they go past the sell by date.
Nice one!
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I hope you grabbed some - their meat looks to be very good! https://www.sysco.ca/Products/Produc...alty-Meat.html

I suppose now that so many restaurants have had to close their doors or at least restrict the amount of customers they can have, they need to sell off their stocks before they go past the sell by date.
Nice one!

Yes I grabbed some pork chops.

I figured it's restaurants having less business and Sysco had to find somewhere to sell excess stock/broaden their market a bit during this time, but seemed to be selling pretty swiftly. The steak is exactly the same shape and thickness you would expect in a restaurant, isn't cut like a typical retail steak, but I am not a huge fan of steak so I stuck with the pork chops.

Wal-Mart must have gotten a smokin deal on it though to be selling it for such a low price.

We didn't buy it, but they also had lobster, 2 pack for $15 2lb each, but not sure if that is a good price, but first time ever seeing lobster at Wal-Mart, frozen of course, not live.

Old Nov 20th 2020, 12:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Sysco here were having weekly truckload sales, where they would literally sell catering packs of food from the back of a freezer truck. I never went as the pack sizes were always too big for our freezer, but they were wildly popular.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

M&M flyer this week.
Asian Party Pack - $9.99. Normally $14.99...Instacart price $16.79
Chicken Strips 3lb - $16.99. Normally $25.99...Instacart price $29.19

Old Nov 20th 2020, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
M&M flyer this week.
Asian Party Pack - $9.99. Normally $14.99...Instacart price $16.79
Chicken Strips 3lb - $16.99. Normally $25.99...Instacart price $29.19

Apart from Loblaws, I think all the other grocery stores around here use their own delivery service. I wouldn’t use Instacart if they offered me a gold watch.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Sysco here were having weekly truckload sales, where they would literally sell catering packs of food from the back of a freezer truck. I never went as the pack sizes were always too big for our freezer, but they were wildly popular.

I think they were doing something similiar in Vancouver in the spring, but can't remember exact details. Some of the chain restaurants were doing a buy all the ingredients and cook from home type things, but not sure if they were popular, same price as their regular menu really, but you had to go pick it up, then go home, and make it, so not really a good deal....

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Apart from Loblaws, I think all the other grocery stores around here use their own delivery service. I wouldn’t use Instacart if they offered me a gold watch.
Loblaws (the company itself not the specific stores with the name since Loblaws owns so many different brands.) seems to be testing delivery in some markets, so they might be considering expanding if that goes well and dumping IC.

The only chain doing delivery where we are is Save On, but they are more expensive than Wal-Mart or Super Store so we never use them, we just grocery shop ourselves, or use the buy online pick up option that Super Store and Wal-Mart offer.

Problem with all these stores is they do all the ordering picking in store, so you never know if your going to get everything which is a pain, so it's why we just go ourselves into the store 99% of the time.

I can't imagine a grocery store is anymore high risk than my wife going to work, if anything going to work and spending 8 hours with someone in an office is higher risk than 30-40 minutes walking around a store no spending any significant time near others.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Covid-19 app on my phone doesn't notify unless I've been near someone positive for 15 minutes or more. That doesn't seem like it's going to report anyone I've met in the store.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 9:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine a grocery store is anymore high risk than my wife going to work, if anything going to work and spending 8 hours with someone in an office is higher risk than 30-40 minutes walking around a store no spending any significant time near others.
I think there's capacity for huge variation in this comparison. Just a few people occupying one floor of a large building and either on the ground floor or able to use stairs, thus avoiding shared elevator and plenty of toilet space for the numbers; or large number of employees occupying several floors using elevators, water coolers, coffee lounge, canteen, meetings etc
Then travel; do you share a bus, tram or metro system with loads of other people 'strap-hanging' or go to work in your own private car?

For the supermarket you might be close to someone picking over fruit or veg rather than a 'drive-by' () tossing into your cart of a packet of pasta or be close to someone as they turn away from someone else so as not to sneeze on them and you get it instead.

I also imagine that people working with each other day in day out will have a greater sense of responsibility towards each other whereas people in supermarkets may be more carefree on the basis that they're not with someone for long.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

I think there's capacity for huge variation in this comparison. Just a few people occupying one floor of a large building and either on the ground floor or able to use stairs, thus avoiding shared elevator and plenty of toilet space for the numbers; or large number of employees occupying several floors using elevators, water coolers, coffee lounge, canteen, meetings etc
Then travel; do you share a bus, tram or metro system with loads of other people 'strap-hanging' or go to work in your own private car?

For the supermarket you might be close to someone picking over fruit or veg rather than a 'drive-by' () tossing into your cart of a packet of pasta or be close to someone as they turn away from someone else so as not to sneeze on them and you get it instead.

I also imagine that people working with each other day in day out will have a greater sense of responsibility towards each other whereas people in supermarkets may be more carefree on the basis that they're not with someone for long.

Walking down the hallway, elevators and stairwell at home is probably about the same risk as a grocery store, might be higher since nobody wears masks in the elevators, hallways or in their apartments, where 99% of the people in grocery stores have a mask on.

Those you live with a likely the biggest risk to your health overall since you spend the most time with them.

My wife leaves 4 times a week for 8 hours each time, I leave the house like once a week to the grocery store, so if I get it, it probably wasn't from the grocery store.

Old Nov 20th 2020, 11:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Walking down the hallway, elevators and stairwell at home is probably about the same risk as a grocery store, might be higher since nobody wears masks in the elevators, hallways or in their apartments, where 99% of the people in grocery stores have a mask on.

Those you live with a likely the biggest risk to your health overall since you spend the most time with them.

My wife leaves 4 times a week for 8 hours each time, I leave the house like once a week to the grocery store, so if I get it, it probably wasn't from the grocery store.
Yes I get that. But in a reverse scenario, my SD leaves the house to go to work at her store. I have the odd medical appointment and we have groceries delivered. If I get it, it's likely from my SD picking at up at the store she works in.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 2:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is this thread turning into a Covid thread?
Old Nov 21st 2020, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is this thread turning into a Covid thread?
It was getting close but there was a link in terms of the likelihood of picking it up shopping for groceries.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 1:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It was getting close but there was a link in terms of the likelihood of picking it up shopping for groceries.
Considering every post related to buying groceries, I wouldn't say it was that close.
I'm making my BLT breakfast and when I sliced the tomato on top, was shocked at how woody it seemed around the outside. I think it came in a flashfood $5 produce box. The Roma on the bottom is from Superstore produce dept. In the middle of winter we expect the tomatoes to be woody in the centre as well, so tend to use canned toms instead as they're more flavourful, but until now everything (radishes, cukes, etc has been top notch. That one tomato can go in a sauce, I suppose, but I hope it doesn't signal the decline in quality already.

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 21st 2020 at 2:01 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 7:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

If I want to make sangria I can. I'll just have to pick a day when I'm not going to have to work.

Old Dec 2nd 2020, 12:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I was curious about what the Marcangelo seasoned pork is like, and then thought why not the sausages too... and then I just bought the steak in case there was any room left in the freezing compartment. I keep a plastic tub of ice and an ice cube tray in there, so it takes a little organisation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.