Groceries

Old Dec 9th 2020, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
Certainly not unexpected though, considering the hit producers are taking.
No its not. But it will be one of many increases, including huge tax hikes...
Old Dec 9th 2020, 10:36 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
No its not. But it will be one of many increases, including huge tax hikes...
Which taxes do you think will be going up? While small businesses are struggling and new benefits are being announced, where can they apply the screws? Not on fuel while travel is stymied, not on meals while restaurants are going bankrupt, not an increase in sales tax while stores are half shut down. Billions of stimulus dollars certainly have to come from somewhere, but I don't think the government can start clawing it back in the middle of the pandemic. Maybe they would like to increase income tax on the very wealthy, but.I would expect a soft approach to that as well.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 10:41 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour is working nightshift and said she'll bring my flashfood purchase from her store home with her in the morning, saving me a trip - what a sweetie!

Old Dec 11th 2020, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour is working nightshift and said she'll bring my flashfood purchase from her store home with her in the morning, saving me a trip - what a sweetie!
Nice purchases!! I tried some of the white fox cheese last week...its good, and I love goats cheese, infact I just love cheese, except for mild cheddar... any other cheddar is great.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wal-Mart had some of those $1.50 each restaurant pork chops again so got some of those this morning. Not really a savings really, but less fat and they taste better than the typical grocery store pork chops. They also had restaurant style steak but they were $6 each, but in a restaurant would be $30+ so still a good deal overall.

I haven't had a chance to use flash app yet, I check it through the week, but so far haven't found anything worth getting yet.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 12:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wal-Mart had some of those $1.50 each restaurant pork chops again so got some of those this morning. Not really a savings really, but less fat and they taste better than the typical grocery store pork chops. They also had restaurant style steak but they were $6 each, but in a restaurant would be $30+ so still a good deal overall.
What are restaurant style pork chops/steaks? Some new branding?

Walmart had legs of lamb for $22 instead of $32 this last week. Oddly that was the price quoted on Instacart but the ones we managed to get all had the higher prices on. In one case the shopper left the receipt with the price matching the stickers. Our Instacart receipt (what I actually paid) shows the $22.

It made a nice change for something to be cheaper with Instacart than it would have been in person.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sysco Specialty Meats. They are packed in the same way restaurants would receive them, just vacuum sealed and frozen, no flashy packaging or branding, just a barcode and "Sysco Specialty Meat" below the barcode.

Like this but with a barcode label on it. Just pork but the only photo I found was beef.

I saw bags of frozen lambchops for $22 this morning as well, but I don't have freezer space and the chops are so tiny...ha ha. I think they were from New Zealand.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What are restaurant style pork chops/steaks? Some new branding?

Walmart had legs of lamb for $22 instead of $32 this last week. Oddly that was the price quoted on Instacart but the ones we managed to get all had the higher prices on. In one case the shopper left the receipt with the price matching the stickers. Our Instacart receipt (what I actually paid) shows the $22.

It made a nice change for something to be cheaper with Instacart than it would have been in person.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 12th 2020 at 1:19 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 1:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I haven't had a chance to use flash app yet, I check it through the week, but so far haven't found anything worth getting yet.
I've checked your 2 stores a few times and the pickings are kind of thin. The few produce boxes I've seen don't look as good as ours either. My criteria are; is it something I want? Is it a good deal? Is it worth going to pick up? (This is where it is sometimes worth getting several things, but not just one). Also, because a lot of it is time sensitive, will I use it in time so it doesn't spoil? I've made a few mistakes and had to throw a few things out, but overall it's been good.
edit; for example, the 750ml Saputo Cocktail Bocconcini cheese at Kelowna Superstore for $5. I bought 2 of those for $2.50 ea (I'd passed them over at $5 several times) and used them sliced on pizzas for a month - but I only used one carton! I have an unopened carton I bought on Nov 4 that I may have to toss. If it was feta I wouldn't be worried.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 12th 2020 at 1:32 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

I've checked your 2 stores a few times and the pickings are kind of thin. The few produce boxes I've seen don't look as good as ours either. My criteria are; is it something I want? Is it a good deal? Is it worth going to pick up? (This is where it is sometimes worth getting several things, but not just one). Also, because a lot of it is time sensitive, will I use it in time so it doesn't spoil? I've made a few mistakes and had to throw a few things out, but overall it's been good.

Yes, I would only buy things I could freeze or use pretty quickly. I hate buying food and having it go bad before I can eat it.

I have noticed food is a tiny bit more expensive here, but generally not by much and only because there isn't a plethora of small ethnic grocery stores which in Vancouver can have some pretty decent prices.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 12th 2020 at 1:29 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 1:43 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

only because there isn't a plethora of small ethnic grocery stores which in Vancouver can have some pretty decent prices.
What sort of things were you buying at the ethnic stores?
Old Dec 12th 2020, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

What sort of things were you buying at the ethnic stores?
Meat and fruit mostly, they were almost always a good amount cheaper, and East Vancouver has plenty of such stores.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 9:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Meat and fruit mostly, they were almost always a good amount cheaper, and East Vancouver has plenty of such stores.
I used to get oysters from Chinatown for half what they wanted in box stores, or 1/3 of what they cost on Granville Island. My friends in E Van have one or two produce stalls on the Drive where they get all their fruit and veg.
JNNZ's Deli (Croatian) on Commercial has been a favourite of mine ever since my friend first took me there.

The Portuguese butcher I used to buy chorizo from closed about 5 years ago, and afaik nobody has replaced them yet. It was miles ahead of the 5 or 6 other chorizo I tried from different shops.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 2:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That pic reminds me of the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts.

It also made me think of ribcages with intestines hanging out.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 2:30 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That pic reminds me of the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts.
Maybe it'll show up in your dream tonight!
It's a fantastic store, and I've eaten a LOT of their pepperoni.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 13th 2020 at 2:32 am.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 4:52 am
Account Closed

I used to get oysters from Chinatown for half what they wanted in box stores, or 1/3 of what they cost on Granville Island. My friends in E Van have one or two produce stalls on the Drive where they get all their fruit and veg.
JNNZ's Deli (Croatian) on Commercial has been a favourite of mine ever since my friend first took me there.

The Portuguese butcher I used to buy chorizo from closed about 5 years ago, and afaik nobody has replaced them yet. It was miles ahead of the 5 or 6 other chorizo I tried from different shops.
Yeah many of the European places as the owners retire or die, kids or grand kids not interested in taking over, are not really being replaced, demographics are changing though so not really surprised, immigration is not coming from Europe anymore,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.