Groceries

Old Dec 18th 2018, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
There is assimilation into aspects of Canadian culture but noticing Vachon yule logs and their presence or absence is taking it too far

https://themanatee.net/vachon-yule-l...-obesity-rate/
I can take them or leave them but I heard on CBC about the shortage. A couple of days later I went googling to show the MIL and I found that Manatee piece.

Their presence isn't normally hard to notice though as the boxes were always piled high, a big red block that could hardly be avoided.

I read they've been on the black market for $30 instead of $7.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
There is assimilation into aspects of Canadian culture but noticing Vachon yule logs and their presence or absence is taking it too far

https://themanatee.net/vachon-yule-l...-obesity-rate/
The real reason the Vachon name is famous is because of Mad Dog Vachon the wrestler and Rogie Vachon the NHL goalie.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of these Vachon logs, weird there would be a shortage of them.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I had never heard of these Vachon logs, weird there would be a shortage of them.
I think this article sums it up. Not healthy but very popular in Quebec and generally more francophone areas of eastern Ontario and NB. The logs come out at Christmas time and I recall mega sized ones at the Costco near my house at Christmas time and they carry the logs at my local RCSS.

https://www.vancourier.com/entertain...-jos-1.1323386
Old Dec 18th 2018, 8:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of these Vachon logs
So what sort of cakey things do you have out west at Christmas?

(obviously none in Oink's place)
Old Dec 18th 2018, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So what sort of cakey things do you have out west at Christmas?

(obviously none in Oink's place)
2 that come to mind are fruit cake and some sort of cake that comes in a box that I could not name. I see these on store shelves.

Box of cake kind of like this.

https://www.olioandolive.com/Fraccar...aropandoro.htm

Not saying these logs dont exist here, I just can't recall ever seeing them and until today never heard of them myself.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 18th 2018 at 9:05 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

2 that come to mind are fruit cake and some sort of cake that comes in a box that I could not name. I see these on store shelves.

Box of cake kind of like this.

https://www.olioandolive.com/Fraccar...aropandoro.htm

Not saying these logs dont exist here, I just can't recall ever seeing them and until today never heard of them myself.
That is pannetone cake an Italian speciality available usually at Christmastime.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 9:27 pm
Oscar nominated

fruit cake.
Dark and light, yes. It doesn't really pass for Christmas cake that I'm used to.
I came close to ordering a Marks and Spencer xmas cake from Toronto but because of the Canada Post backlog they were using UPS only and I wasn't willing to pay the massive mark up.

Any Stollen cake in your parts? Sobeys does it here. I'd rather have that than the Yule logs.

Old Dec 18th 2018, 10:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Dark and light, yes. It doesn't really pass for Christmas cake that I'm used to.
I came close to ordering a Marks and Spencer xmas cake from Toronto but because of the Canada Post backlog they were using UPS only and I wasn't willing to pay the massive mark up.

Any Stollen cake in your parts? Sobeys does it here. I'd rather have that than the Yule logs.

I get my morning coffee every day on the way to work from a lovely German couple. They have stollen that she's made in the display case and every morning I'm very tempted to buy one. However I am not able to eat all those yummy things this year so it would just be a waste of money

If I'd known you like Christmas cake I could have sent you one of the ones I made earlier this year. It's my grandmother's recipe and it's delicious. I used the recipe for a wedding cake a couple of years ago and the mother of the bride still raves about how good it tasted. Next year I'll ship one over.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Yes they are around too. I dont buy Christmas cakes none of them are appealing to me.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:08 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If I'd known you like Christmas cake I could have sent you one of the ones I made earlier this year. It's my grandmother's recipe and it's delicious. I used the recipe for a wedding cake a couple of years ago and the mother of the bride still raves about how good it tasted. Next year I'll ship one over.
My mum used to make one and hers was different to my grans which was quite different. When my mum stopped making them, we made do with the M&S ones and they were pretty good.

I always liked my slice cut into fingers with just a little marzipan on the tip of each finger. Went lovely with a cup of tea and one of the few times I drank tea. good with coffee too of course.

Nice offer, thank you.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 3:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I get my morning coffee every day on the way to work from a lovely German couple. They have stollen that she's made in the display case and every morning I'm very tempted to buy one. However I am not able to eat all those yummy things this year so it would just be a waste of money

..with real marzipan and royal icing ?
Old Dec 19th 2018, 3:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
..with real marzipan and royal icing ?
Christmas cake yes. Wedding cake was marzipan and fondant with gum paste flowers. About 120 hand made gum paste flowers!
Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Christmas cake yes.
😍
Old Dec 19th 2018, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Was at a small grocery chain yesterday, got some beef, label says 100% grass fed Australian beef, what gets me is it was cheaper then BC grass fed beef, you would think the BC meat would be lower considering it doesn't need to travel nearly as far

Not a store I normally go to since its geared towards hipsters with money but had a gift card, don't usually buy such fancy meat either,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.