Groceries

Old Feb 14th 2019, 6:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Haven't bought ground meat in a very long time but wanted to make spaghetti with meat in it (usually we skip the meat or add vegetables of some sort) and man its is expensive and it wasn't even the lean variety. All sold in $7 packages breaks down to $4.25 per pound. And this is No Frills.
Got room in a freezer for when it's much less? This week it's $2.99 for lean in one store while the other main competition has regular (fatty) for $3.99

If no freezer room, try Yves veggie alternative.

Costs a bit less to get it in a multi-pack (4). Although it looks a bit pricey, there's no fat so you get more your money (on the plate) than you think. It definitely compares favourably to the price you just paid
It's pretty good. The last two times I used it for a spagbol, nobody noticed. Makes a great curry too.

Old Feb 14th 2019, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a small freezer but we use ground meat so infrequently its not really an issue, just could believe the price on it these days. Miss the good ole days of 2005-2006 when Save On would have it for $1 per pound but it came in big 10 pound tubes, but still cheap.....

Yves fake meat stuff isn't bad, have used it a few times over the years.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 8:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Got room in a freezer for when it's much less? This week it's $2.99 for lean in one store while the other main competition has regular (fatty) for $3.99

If no freezer room, try Yves veggie alternative.

Costs a bit less to get it in a multi-pack (4). Although it looks a bit pricey, there's no fat so you get more your money (on the plate) than you think. It definitely compares favourably to the price you just paid
It's pretty good. The last two times I used it for a spagbol, nobody noticed. Makes a great curry too.

Many years ago, when my son was about 5 and went through a "I don't want to eat dead animals" phase I used to buy frozen soya mince in big bags from the supermarket - it was freeflow (frozen in individual pieces, not in a solid mass), and you could cook it exactly the same way as you would fresh mince (ground beef). I wish you could get it here - without all the extra sodium and stuff that the 'veggie ground' have in it. (I tried it once).

Shame we can't buy Quorn like you can in the US! https://www.quorn.us/products/quorn-meatless-grounds

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 14th 2019 at 8:19 am.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 10:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Many years ago, when my son was about 5 and went through a "I don't want to eat dead animals" phase I used to buy frozen soya mince in big bags from the supermarket - it was freeflow (frozen in individual pieces, not in a solid mass), and you could cook it exactly the same way as you would fresh mince (ground beef). I wish you could get it here - without all the extra sodium and stuff that the 'veggie ground' have in it. (I tried it once).

Shame we can't buy Quorn like you can in the US! https://www.quorn.us/products/quorn-meatless-grounds
Or the beyond meat brand. Other then burgers from A & W I dont think any of their products are sold here, they offer more then just a burger patty in the US.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Or the beyond meat brand. Other then burgers from A & W I dont think any of their products are sold here, they offer more then just a burger patty in the US.
I've heard the Beyond Sausages are here now as well and apparently really good, yet to try them though.

I actually prefer the Yves Mince to the Quorn Mince - the quorn one has kind of a scambled-eggy texture to it, not very nice. The Quorn chicken burgers and nuggets are awesome though, I always take trips to Fred Meyer in Bellingham, WA to stock up and bring them back across when they go on sale (usually for around US$3.50 each).
Old Feb 19th 2019, 12:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I've heard the Beyond Sausages are here now as well and apparently really good, yet to try them though.

I actually prefer the Yves Mince to the Quorn Mince - the quorn one has kind of a scambled-eggy texture to it, not very nice. The Quorn chicken burgers and nuggets are awesome though, I always take trips to Fred Meyer in Bellingham, WA to stock up and bring them back across when they go on sale (usually for around US$3.50 each).
It's the high sodium content and additives in Yves that I have issues with - i.e. can't have them .. 250mg sodium in 1/3rd of a cup of Yves... that's more than I have in a day - as opposed to Quorn minced 'meat' which has 50mg of sodium per cup - 5 times less in a full cup than in Yves 1/3rd cup! When you have to watch what sodium you have, every milligram counts!
Hain
https://www.quorn.us/products/quorn-meatless-grounds

Here you go.. beyond meat sausages BC: https://www.choicesmarkets.com/news/...now-available/

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 19th 2019 at 1:07 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 1:14 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could buy what I used to buy in the UK 30 odd years ago here - it was soya protein in freeflow frozen little pieces of 'ground beef' type of thing,.. it was perfect and could be used to supplement or replace ground beef.
Sadly, you have summed it up Siouxie...Canadians do not demand better products, so quite rightly, they don’t get them. They don’t ask where they have come from, what, precisely it consists of or how it was produced...small wonder that they are small changed!

Apathy is super in many areas...not in the food chain
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Whinge about the lack of faux meat compared to back home all you want, I'd still eat it if there was a real emergency and nothing else available. I bought one of those $1/lb pork shoulders from No Frills, and for it's insolence - 10 hours in the box! I gave it a good rub of kosher salt, pepper, chili flake, cumin, and oregano and after suffering at 250F all day it should be nearly done except for the crackling when I come home this afternoon.

National Pig Day is March 4, and everyone should have a plan.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 19th 2019 at 11:05 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Since No Frills has roma tomatoes for $1/lb and field cukes for $1 I should go back today and get a bit more of that while the sale is still on; not only really cheap for this time of year but versatile as all get-out. If I got a green bell pepper and some olives I'd have everything for a Greek salad. Wholesale Club is more likely to have a small ham for $5 more or less in the cold room so I'll check there, and I have Swiss cheese in the freezing compartment..... Whenever I have roast pork I always think about the Cuban sandwich (roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, and mustard) grilled in the frying pan and pressed under a small cast iron pot. It's one of the truly great things to come out of Florida.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
...I bought one of those $1/lb pork shoulders from No Frills....
National Pig Day is March 4, and everyone should have a plan.
Never heard of it. I googled and it said the 1st in the US. So I thought it may be
one of those where Canada and the USA does it on different days but I couldn't find any other than the 1st.

It's too soon after our last one. Is there a national chicken day coming up?

...Whenever I have roast pork I always think about the Cuban sandwich (roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, and mustard) grilled in the frying pan and pressed under a small cast iron pot. It's one of the truly great things to come out of Florida.
That sounds interesting. I suppose a Panini grill doesn't generate the right level of heat.

Is it really pork and ham?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm eating Marmite cashews. I've never tried them before and expected the nuts to be crisp. Should they be soggy?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:21 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm eating Marmite cashews. I've never tried them before and expected the nuts to be crisp. Should they be soggy?
Cashews are definitely softer than other nuts. I wouldn't say soggy. Unless that's runny marmite to blame.

Ah, I see it's actually an official product.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:50 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Never heard of it. I googled and it said the 1st in the US.
That sounds interesting. I suppose a Panini grill doesn't generate the right level of heat.
Is it really pork and ham?
I stand corrected, National Pig Day March 1.
If I had a pannini press I wouldn't have to use a frying pan (which works very well).
If you don't believe me about how to make a Cuban sandwich feel free to look it up. I only know how they make them in Florida.
After a bit of driving around I have what I need for Cuban sandwiches, Greek salad, and salsa fresca (avocados and limes were a good price and the red onion and fresh garlic and jalapeno were right there).

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 20th 2019 at 5:53 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:47 am
Oscar nominated

If you don't believe me about how to make a Cuban sandwich feel free to look it up. I only know how they make them in Florida.
I was just checking you didn't mean pork or ham rather than both.

Old Feb 20th 2019, 10:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I was just checking you didn't mean pork or ham rather than both.
It's both, and apparently in Tampa can include salami as well, (though I didn't see that). I went to make my sandwich and the pickle jar in back of the fridge held stuffed olives (I'd forgotten all about that, and it would have been so easy to get pickles), so I didn't get my true Cuban though it was still good. That pickle and the mustard provide a necessary tang to the Cuban sandwich the same way they do in rouladin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.