Groceries

Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:12 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

My husband hates lamb so I never cook it at home. I occasionally buy some from a friend who raises sheep for meat, it delicious and not the usual overly gamey flavoured Ontario lamb
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 10:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My husband hates lamb so I never cook it at home. I occasionally buy some from a friend who raises sheep for meat, it delicious and not the usual overly gamey flavoured Ontario lamb
I had never had lamb until we moved to Australia but now I love it. I tried to cook a leg for my sister when I was home a couple of years ago but it just didn't taste right. I don't think Canada's climate is right for the lamb/sheep industry. They need places like New Zealand and the UK where there's lots of rain and a temperate climate so they can eat lovely green grass.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 11:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I had never had lamb until we moved to Australia but now I love it. I tried to cook a leg for my sister when I was home a couple of years ago but it just didn't taste right. I don't think Canada's climate is right for the lamb/sheep industry. They need places like New Zealand and the UK where there's lots of rain and a temperate climate so they can eat lovely green grass.
my sheep farming friend says the funky taste is due to several things: diet of course, grass fed is best but that's hard to do year round in Canada. The age of the animal and older gives a stronger flavour as in mutton.. Finally lanolin, more lanolin means stinkier. Rams have more lanolin as do wool coated sheep. Hair coated sheep don't have lanolin and that's what she farms.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Yeah, but you have sensibly priced lamb. I'd rather shell out a bit more for a turkey once or twice a year and have access to a decent joint of lamb without a second mortgage. Even supposedly cheaper cuts (scrag end makes an excellent stew) is stupidly expensive here, when you can find it at all. I probably buy lamb chops a couple of times a year, and will spring for a leg to roast around Easter time - an unbeliever's culinary sop to his CofE upbringing - but that's about it.
Get thee along to Loblaws pronto. Boneless and short cut leg, both @ $6.99 lb according to the flyer for Mississauga. Offer on 3-pack of shanks too.

Superstore here were advertising the same $6.99 and $5.99 for the short cut but they say they are still waiting for them. However, we got a couple from Walmart for a little less. We have four legs - including a couple of big ones - in our freezer.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 12:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Get thee along to Loblaws pronto. Boneless and short cut leg, both @ $6.99 lb according to the flyer for Mississauga. Offer on 3-pack of shanks too.
Superstore here were advertising the same $6.99 and $5.99 for the short cut but they say they are still waiting for them. However, we got a couple from Walmart for a little less. We have four legs - including a couple of big ones - in our freezer.
Price of decent lamb here is shocking and yet NZ grows the blimmin' things. I see them everywhere - especially this time of the year.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I will never understand why developers think apartment living means never needing an oven of normal size, anyhow as I kind of suspected the turkey is too big for the oven, even with the rack on the lowest setting the bird touches the burners.

So we will have to cut the turkey up then cook it that way. I am sure it will taste mostly the same, who knows never had to cut the turkey up before cooking it......

Lesson learned don't buy turkey again...ha ha
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 1:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I will never understand why developers think apartment living means never needing an oven of normal size, anyhow as I kind of suspected the turkey is too big for the oven, even with the rack on the lowest setting the bird touches the burners.

So we will have to cut the turkey up then cook it that way. I am sure it will taste mostly the same, who knows never had to cut the turkey up before cooking it......

I used to have one of those ovens, a real pain in the bum. If you have a good pair of kitchen scissors you can cut the turkey down the middle, through the soft cartilage on the breast and through the rib edges at the other side, then cook each 'half' perhaps?
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 1:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I used to have one of those ovens, a real pain in the bum. If you have a good pair of kitchen scissors you can cut the turkey down the middle, through the soft cartilage on the breast and through the rib edges at the other side, then cook each 'half' perhaps?

Do you have a slow cooker J ? I think that's a crock pot over there.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We just cut the meat off the bone and cooked it that way. Worked out well and cooked quicker as well.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We just cut the meat off the bone and cooked it that way. Worked out well and cooked quicker as well.
Use the bones to make broth with. You will get more meat off them when they're boiled.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:09 am
limey party pooper

Poor you. British/European people manage perfectly well without enormous ovens, refrigerators, washing machines, cars.
I have two ovens on my cooking stove and rarely use the larger one. We bought under the counter washing machine and dryer sizes, I hate the ugly huge fridge we have that is never full, the smaller one was more expensive so we went with the monstrosity.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 1:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

So the lesson learned was how to cook without a big oven. I had to make do with the toaster oven for a few years until getting a stove with an oven door last winter. It's great for a chicken cut in pieces but half a turkey breast at a time was the most I could do. No problem at all.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 6:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cook's Hams at Superstore, a ridiculous 99c lb. Prime Rib Premium roasts : $5.44 lb. Caulis 99c each. PC Sumatra coffee pods $4.99/12 with $1.20 worth of points on every $6.

It seems we have 6 legs of lamb, 5 Prime rib roasts and 5 turkeys among assorted chickens and other packs in our freezers.

Time to open a butcher's perhaps.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 6:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Poor you. British/European people manage perfectly well without enormous ovens, refrigerators, washing machines, cars.
I have two ovens on my cooking stove and rarely use the larger one. We bought under the counter washing machine and dryer sizes, I hate the ugly huge fridge we have that is never full, the smaller one was more expensive so we went with the monstrosity.
I've lived in apartments in Canada where the ovens have been exceptionally small.. much smaller than the ones in the UK, which you can easily cook a turkey in - when I was growing up my mother used to cook a 20+lb turkey in ours! Some of the ovens I've come across here were 18" - 24" wide and had no depth or height and wouldn't take a turkey. When you are on a reduced income and need to cook a large item, you can't afford to waste any of it... . so yes, it can be a concern at times. I'd love to replace my small crappy fridge for a monstrosity. I couldn't afford a pair of front loaders let alone ones that fit under a counter, so it was a top loader washing machine for me.. but it's not a monstrous size - unlike the one my sister had in the UK!

Each to their own but for someone who has NO choice it's a bit unfair to compare!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 4th 2018 at 6:55 am.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 12:06 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I've lived in apartments in Canada where the ovens have been exceptionally small.. much smaller than the ones in the UK, which you can easily cook a turkey in - when I was growing up my mother used to cook a 20+lb turkey in ours! Some of the ovens I've come across here were 18" - 24" wide and had no depth or height and wouldn't take a turkey. When you are on a reduced income and need to cook a large item, you can't afford to waste any of it... . so yes, it can be a concern at times. I'd love to replace my small crappy fridge for a monstrosity. I couldn't afford a pair of front loaders let alone ones that fit under a counter, so it was a top loader washing machine for me.. but it's not a monstrous size - unlike the one my sister had in the UK!

Each to their own but for someone who has NO choice it's a bit unfair to compare!
​​​​​​
im sorry you saw my post as sarcasm. It wasn't.

Last edited by bats; Oct 5th 2018 at 1:36 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.