Groceries

Old May 25th 2018, 2:08 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
We have a No Frills just down the road (400 metres door to door), so it's the place we drop in if we absolutely NEED something (well, strictly Safeway is, which is a block closer in the other direction, but costs twice as much). But there's no reason to do a big shop there since it's just a limited subset of what Superstore has, at higher prices and worse quality. It's like a Tesco or Sainsbury's local store, but not so good.

In BC I'll happily use Superstore or SaveOn. Tried Walmart, was unimpressed with range and prices (was one of many discussions about life comparisons with my partner; I was expecting ASDA, he pointed out Walmart were always a 'General goods' store that then tacked food onto it), and shocked by the 'service'.

That's interesting as I find Walmart Superstore pretty good, apart from the fact they don't have a deli / fish / meat counter - and they stock many of the same brands that Metro / Fortinos stock, but at a lower price; the range of foods they stock at my local one is extensive... one of those 'depends where it is' things I suppose!
Old May 25th 2018, 2:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Save On is my favorite store, generally clean, modern stores with good selection and wide aisles and doesn't feel like a sardine box, and prices are decent on most things, just gotta shop smart.

The Superstore in Vancouver is far too busy and crowded for me, and I don't find their prices low enough to go there and suffer...lol

Safeway is okay not my favorite.

Choices is well high priced but the hipsters seem to like it, I won't shop there since the prices are idiotically high like Whole foods.

No Frills is the only grocery store within a close distance to home, but eh I'll go further out now to avoid them.

The Wal-Martin Vancouver sucks, there is only 1 and its smaller then your typical Wal-Mart Super Store, smaller selection and crowded so I don't go there either.
Old May 25th 2018, 10:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
...Tried Walmart, was unimpressed with range and prices (was one of many discussions about life comparisons with my partner; I was expecting ASDA...and shocked by the 'service'.
I never liked Walmart. Never thought it was as cheap for food as people said - better prices in Superstore and even Sobeys. But when money was tight and a pair of jeans was needed they usually had an option around $15 and Wranglers for just a few $$ more.

Ask a member of staff if they had something - or where it might be - and you'd get a "not my section" response. But if you need jeans...

But since they went 'super centre' or whatever they call it, and added fresh meat, fruit and veg - and a great bakery department - it's so much better than it was. In the food area, that is. The rest of the store is much the same.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That's interesting as I find Walmart Superstore pretty good
The much improved food part has also had a bit of a knock on effect with the other stores too.
Old May 25th 2018, 12:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Living, as we do, at the end of a long Supply Chain our choice, even in metro St John's is limited. Essentially we have Dominion (aka Loblaws), Sobeys, No Frills & Colemans which is a local chain. Dominion and Sobeys are much of a muchness - we have a new style sobeys which opened nearby a couple of years ago with a big fresh produce and bakery area but not so much in the area of general dry grocery goods. Does good sausages though. Being at the end of the supply chain fresh produce is more expensive than the mainland and can be pretty poor quality. Plus it's no trouble to tell when the Gulf ferries haven't been running for a day or two as the shelves get bare. Walmart hasn't moved into fresh groceries here much I believe. It's a store I avoid as much as possible so I might be wrong. Costco is the store of choice for meat, fruits and veg. Not terribly eco friendly but one can often buy veggies and fruit there in large portions that is equivalent price to the smaller portions at the other stores. So if some gets thrown out because you just can't eat 5lbs of peppers in a week, then we're still ahead!
Old May 25th 2018, 1:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No Frills varies enormously from shop to shop, unlike Loblaws/Zehrs which is pretty much the same whichever one you go into. I recall being amazed at the No Frills in Shelburne (a small town north of Toronto) as it was clean and no shoppers had nibbled the fruit. What does differ with Loblaws shops is that the items on the shelves differs with the location, if you want to know the dominant ethnicity in an area a butcher's at what's in the "International" aisle and what's in the "normal people" aisles is instructive.
Old May 25th 2018, 2:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, Loblaws owns No Frills, same as Superstore, Independent, etc.
Old May 25th 2018, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Of course, Loblaws owns No Frills, same as Superstore, Independent, etc.
The same organization owns the names but Loblaws stores belong to the chain, No Frills and Bulk Barn are franchise operations under that umbrella. I imagine this accounts for the variations in the No Frills shops.
Old May 25th 2018, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The same organization owns the names but Loblaws stores belong to the chain, No Frills and Bulk Barn are franchise operations under that umbrella. I imagine this accounts for the variations in the No Frills shops.
It does and from what I can find the owner of the store decides what to stock and such, our store is run on the cheap so out of stock a lot of the time, and flyer items may as well not even try, they rarely have anything in the flyer, its a poorly run store, but because of the area it is in, nobody will really care, mostly poor people shopping there. The previous owner was much better at keeping the store up and stocked, but the new ownership isn't so great, and doesn't staff appropriately, will have 2 check out lines open at a busy time with 15-20 people in each line.
Old May 25th 2018, 5:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed. Our nearest No Frills is actually branded as "Kevin's No Frills". Not sure, that if I were Kevin, I'd want to be known for my lack of frills...
Old May 25th 2018, 5:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be "Cheap Frills" ??
Old May 25th 2018, 5:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

1200 PC points for every $6 spend on PC coffee pods today. Nabob was advertised for $4.99 for 12 which is a great deal if you like it. The dark roast was always good in the drip version so I'm very okay with that price.

But when I got there, the store had responded to the Nabob price by reducing the PC 12 packs to the same $4.99, including the very wonderful Sumatra version

Five packs, $25, 60 cups, plus $4.80 off the next shop. Works out to 34c a pod.

Or, you could just look at them and say bloody hell, these things are normally $8.99 and today they're $4.99.
Old May 25th 2018, 5:56 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could grind your own and make real coffee sans plastic. Ikea traceable origin organic arabica dark roast coffee beans about 2-3 us a packet?
Old May 25th 2018, 6:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Indeed. Our nearest No Frills is actually branded as "Kevin's No Frills". Not sure, that if I were Kevin, I'd want to be known for my lack of frills...
Tim and Heather's No Frills is a large, clean shop with hitching rails outside. I tend not to go in there as it caters for people who go to the grocer's by horse and cart. Accordingly, it has the sort of food one might expect at a country buffer restaurant in Nebraska and a spectacular selection of ice cream. Massive consumption of commercial ice cream is one of the less discussed aspects of Mennonite life. Jim and Lee-Anne's No Frills is where you have to go for Marmite, shortbread and Quality Street.

I don't know any of those four but I do know slightly the owners of a large Foodland. Owning and operating a large supermarket seems like hard work and lots of risk. For example, they have a generator but not an automatic one, failure to get to the shop and power it up when the grid breaks means risking the business as they don't have a cushion to fund replacing everything in the freezers and cold room. Selling local produce in the summer brings in the public and is high profit but falling below order quota with the big suppliers risks not having vegetables in the winter. It all seems a bit marginal.
Old May 25th 2018, 6:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Or you could grind your own and make real coffee sans plastic. Ikea traceable origin organic arabica dark roast coffee beans about 2-3 us a packet?
No plastic. All compostable.
However, the pods are in reserve for when only one cup is needed and I don't want to make a pot of the 875g ground arabica dark roast for $7. It's the best of both worlds.
Old May 25th 2018, 6:16 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No plastic. All compostable.
However, the pods are in reserve for when only one cup is needed and I don't want to make a pot of the 875g ground arabica dark roast for $7. It's the best of both worlds.
I just stick em in a sienens bean to cup machine, one button per cup of anything. Only machine that really lasts and can be cleaned properly, I recently replaced it after 10 years - with the current version of the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.