Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Old Sep 20th 2014, 2:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There is huge emphasis on appearance/coolness, whereas we never thought about it much. Sometimes even my daughter (18) will talk about the 'kids today'. She was showing me some pics of a 14-year-old girl she knows, looking like a model and so much older.

I think all the technology can help them stay in touch, but undoubtedly leads to more aggravation at the very least, up to bullying, between them. Also envy as they see what people are doing so much more.
The bullying aspect is what terrifies me the most about having kids in the future. I was bullied as a kid, but I had some respite when I got home from school. The worst I had to deal with was the occasional prank call. But with facebook, texting, internet, etc all in pockets, the bullying is incessant and non-stop... not to mention, easier to hide, since it can be done at a distance. I shudder to think how much worse I would have had it if cyber-bullying was a thing... and I'm not even that old!
Old Sep 20th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The bullying aspect is what terrifies me the most about having kids in the future. I was bullied as a kid, but I had some respite when I got home from school. The worst I had to deal with was the occasional prank call. But with facebook, texting, internet, etc all in pockets, the bullying is incessant and non-stop... not to mention, easier to hide, since it can be done at a distance. I shudder to think how much worse I would have had it if cyber-bullying was a thing... and I'm not even that old!
Totally agree with this. I also think that there is absolutely no reason that a child needs a smartphone. Possibly a cell phone, but even that would be a stretch. If you need to make an emergency call, I'm sure you could find an adult with a phone to help you with that. Or knock on a door. Like we used to have to.

You're supposed to be 13 before you're allowed a FB account, I would actually like to see that increased to 18. Ridiculous to encourage it at the vulnerable early teen stage. Not that it's a given that people are automatically mature enough at 18, teenagers don't necessarily make great life decisions, but give it as much of a wide berth for as long as possible I say.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
^^ unschool them

And the age of FB accounts isn't going to do anything. I got mine when I was 10 and just faked my year of birth.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
^^ unschool them

And the age of FB accounts isn't going to do anything. I got mine when I was 10 and just faked my year of birth.
Are there people in your generation that are anti-FB or even off-grid? I imagine with so much connectivity it must be tempting for some people to just reject it all. Go analog.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm quite certain I wasn't anywhere near as cool as I thought I was - but I definitely never played D&D!
Haha. I was a Dungeon Master.

My brother was the coolest 15 year old. He figured out how to make "Prove it" cards that 18 year olds legally used to prove their age at the pub and normally had to obtain from the police with proper ID.

He made more money than I did after uni graduation all tax free. Under age teens from all over the UK would send him 20 pounds an ID as his were the best on the market (ranked by some website).

He even upgraded his equipment so he could produce an ID in 15 minutes.

Eventually mum threatened to throw him out the house and the mafia operation was over.

He was the richest teenager in town for quite some months. Running at 1200 pounds of cash a month at it's peak.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 20th 2014 at 4:29 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Especially as he was in a classroom with other students and a teacher at the time.
How did you know that?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I'm just p****d off to a) have missed DBDs full comment, and b)have no idea what Sally Redux was meant to have done to Gozit and who is the one we shouldn't name 3 times.

B*****s
Same re. number 1. As for Sally, see the faith thread in TIO. Its quite funny actually But what's this about not naming someone 3 times?

There is huge emphasis on appearance/coolness, whereas we never thought about it much. Sometimes even my daughter (18) will talk about the 'kids today'. She was showing me some pics of a 14-year-old girl she knows, looking like a model and so much older.

I think all the technology can help them stay in touch, but undoubtedly leads to more aggravation at the very least, up to bullying, between them. Also envy as they see what people are doing so much more.
Agreed. I hate this age of appearance, people don't take you for who you are, etc. Its quite bollocks.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I had to upgrade to a $100 plan (Sasktel Ultimate 100) but can always change without penalty. I get unlimited data Canada wide (download speed slows after 15 G) unlimited talk text and long distance but I hardly use the long distance and don't text a lot. Time to start calling people!
I'd rather the more ripoff phone bill than living in the iceberg that is sask

Originally Posted by Dashie
I think Gozit had a birthday...? Not that it makes that particular suggestion less creepy, but don't want to deprive the poor lad of another year
Nah still 15. 16 in 4 months, 7 days. (27 Jan) Driving license
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that won't work.

It's very noticeable that my daughter has a nicer personality on the rare occasions she's away from internet service.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Are there people in your generation that are anti-FB or even off-grid? I imagine with so much connectivity it must be tempting for some people to just reject it all. Go analog.
Well there's one kid whos parents don't let him use the computer at all during the week, and he's only allowed 1 hour a day on weekends. Not allowed to have FB/email/mobile phone, etc. I have no ****ing clue what he did wrong, he does great in school and all. He told me if he doesn't do his homework he gets grounded. I told him that he's basically already grounded 24/7/365 anyways so it doesn't matter

Originally Posted by JamesM
Haha. I was a Dungeon Master.
If you mean basement dweller, then that's me.

My brother was the coolest 15 year old. He figured out how to make "Prove it" cards that 18 year olds legally used to prove their age at the pub and normally had to obtain from the police with proper ID.

He made more money than I did after uni graduation all tax free. Under age teens from all over the UK would send him 20 pounds an ID as his were the best on the market (ranked by some website).

He even upgraded his equipment so he could produce an ID in 15 minutes.

Eventually mum threatened to throw him out the house and the mafia operation was over.

He was the richest teenager in town for quite some months. Running at 1200 pounds of cash a month at it's peak.
Damn... Wish I could do that With 1200 pounds a month couldn't he just rent a place of his own to do his dirty work?
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK. How, what, where, WHY did this thread turn out like this?

Only on BE ...
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And, sorry Dashie, but i'm as straight as they come.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

But what's this about not naming someone 3 times?
Oops it's 5 times. Candyman. Good film.

Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that won't work.

It's very noticeable that my daughter has a nicer personality on the rare occasions she's away from internet service.
I find I am more pleasant when I put away my devices too

I don't think the gagdets servethe younger generations very well imho..more connected, much lonelier and where is the life perspective staring at a screen
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dishwashing
I find I am more pleasant when I put away my devices too

I don't think the gagdets servethe younger generations very well imho..more connected, much lonelier and where is the life perspective staring at a screen
I must try it
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's nice, too bad these things are also so addictive!
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Yeah, it's nice, too bad these things are also so addictive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.