Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Aug 13th 2018, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Watched 3 of the 6 episodes of 'La Mante' which is a french thriller and is on Netflix. In french with subtitles and very gripping. So far, one of the best things I've seen in ages.

Should be right up the alley of any BE posters who have lived in France.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Should be right up the alley of any BE posters who have lived in France.
Especially those of a serial killer disposition.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Especially those of a serial killer disposition.
Well yes, there is that aspect.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 1:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Canada does Scandi

You could have knocked me down with a feather. Even the aerial shots of cars going along a road are like The Bridge and others.

What is it?

Cardinal. It's a CTV show so you get those annoying captions on screen at the parts that the commercial break ends but fortunately the ads are missing from the streams I'm watching.

I've seen the first two parts of season one so far. Surprisingly good.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Still watching Cardinal but I just discovered it's on iPlayer. It'll be nicer there for two reasons. No CTV captions splashed across the bottom of the screen and in a couple of episodes I became aware of bits of the dialogue blanked out. Honestly, mild swearing blanked out. What's the point of putting it in if it's going to be blanked out.

I put the subtitles on to see what that did and it came out as sh*t. I've always wondered about this nonsense. If you're offended is it really any different replacing the i with a *?
Old Aug 25th 2018, 11:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Still watching Cardinal but I just discovered it's on iPlayer. It'll be nicer there for two reasons. No CTV captions splashed across the bottom of the screen and in a couple of episodes I became aware of bits of the dialogue blanked out. Honestly, mild swearing blanked out. What's the point of putting it in if it's going to be blanked out.

I put the subtitles on to see what that did and it came out as sh*t. I've always wondered about this nonsense. If you're offended is it really any different replacing the i with a *?
It's patronizing claptrap to think that hard of hearing/deaf people shouldn't read swear words, if it's said it should be transcribed. It also pisses me off when it says domething like " speaking French" well I might want to read the French.
they miss out stuff too.

ive started watching "Man in the HignTower" on Amazon. Enjoying it so far.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 12:41 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
It's patronizing claptrap to think that hard of hearing/deaf people shouldn't read swear words, if it's said it should be transcribed. It also pisses me off when it says domething like " speaking French" well I might want to read the French.
they miss out stuff too.
Remember we had a brief talk about the captions showing the lyrics of a song and whether it was important or relevant? Well I watched a couple of episodes of Cardinal (on iPlayer) last night with the subtitles on as I was having whisky7up with pringles which were noisy in my head.

Mood was about the only thing of relevance, I thought, and you could pick that up without hearing the words. Funny thing though, the opening titles song..."was that what she was singing?" It didn't sound like those words at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Norwegian series from a few years ago. Mammon. Available on 4OD (but maybe only the second season) or it's on Dailymotion.com where I'm watching.

Only seen first episode so far but I shall watch more.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 1:38 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Remember we had a brief talk about the captions showing the lyrics of a song and whether it was important or relevant? Well I watched a couple of episodes of Cardinal (on iPlayer) last night with the subtitles on as I was having whisky7up with pringles which were noisy in my head.

Mood was about the only thing of relevance, I thought, and you could pick that up without hearing the words. Funny thing though, the opening titles song..."was that what she was singing?" It didn't sound like those words at all.

Norwegian series from a few years ago. Mammon. Available on 4OD (but maybe only the second season) or it's on Dailymotion.com where I'm watching.

ah but I can't really hear the music. There's a difference between captions and captions for the shard of hearing. The later say things such as "door bell rings" "jazz music plays" "suspenseful music"
In Killing Eve they type the words to the songs and they seem relevant. I'm paying more attention to these thing!
Old Aug 26th 2018, 2:02 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
...There's a difference between captions and captions for the shard of hearing. The later say things such as "door bell rings" "jazz music plays" "suspenseful music"
I wondered about that. I watch some things on different sources and the settings button says captions but it turns the subtitles on or off. Sometimes there's a "door slams" or "car engine" but it's all or nothing.

So, woman in the bathroom...she looks at her reflection in the medicine cabinet mirror. She opens the door, takes out her nail clippers (or whatever) and shuts the door revealing creepy guy standing behind her. What sort of caption announces that?
Old Aug 26th 2018, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

i can’t work out how to karma you now, but ‘noisy in my head’ is one of the best, and most relatable, things I have ever read on the internet.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 11:09 pm
limey party pooper

I wondered about that. I watch some things on different sources and the settings button says captions but it turns the subtitles on or off. Sometimes there's a "door slams" or "car engine" but it's all or nothing.

So, woman in the bathroom...she looks at her reflection in the medicine cabinet mirror. She opens the door, takes out her nail clippers (or whatever) and shuts the door revealing creepy guy standing behind her. What sort of caption announces that?
Duh, well none. Unless there's a scream

For blind and partiqllp sighted peopep there's descriptive audio which gives a commentary on such scenes where there is no audio orbits misleading
Old Sep 1st 2018, 12:44 am
Oscar nominated

Another one.

Deadwind. Finnish cop show. 2 of 12 done so far. New and on Netflix.

Just my impression and I'm sort of generalising, but when I see a strong female role in a UK cop series it seems like someone had to write a strong female character. The male officers often seem to resent her too.

When Scandi does it, it's as if it's always been that way and everyone just gets on with it.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 12:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Another one.

Deadwind. Finnish cop show. 2 of 12 done so far. New and on Netflix.

Just my impression and I'm sort of generalising, but when I see a strong female role in a UK cop series it seems like someone had to write a strong female character. The male officers often seem to resent her too.

When Scandi does it, it's as if it's always been that way and everyone just gets on with it.
....and when it's a female cop in a US series, they're all attractive, slim and under 35, with perfect make-up and hair. Although a few strands of hair might fall fetchingly across their faces after they've tackled and cuffed a serial killer who's 3 times their weight
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:16 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
....and when it's a female cop in a US series, they're all attractive, slim and under 35, with perfect make-up and hair. Although a few strands of hair might fall fetchingly across their faces after they've tackled and cuffed a serial killer who's 3 times their weight
Im the same
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ozark on netflix season 2 dropped today, its a decently written and acted show. Jason Batman and others are in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.