British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/goggle-box-anything-worth-watching-tv-872172/)

Stinkypup Feb 10th 2016 5:11 am

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
Not sure when the last thread was done- probably last week and I haven't noticed! Anyhow tell us what you have been watching and should we definitely watch or avoid like the plague.

Happy Valley- Season two. A BBC series, starring Sarah Lancashire as a "gritty" police officer- season one was great, very well acted and well set in Northen England. A definite :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oink Feb 10th 2016 6:02 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
I rather liked the documentary about Guns and Roses on BBC4. The new series of Shetland is good. And while not new, there is a nice group series of podcasts from Radio4 where Michael Sandel discusses different ethical and moral issues/topics.

dave_j Feb 10th 2016 6:11 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
If you have one of these new fangled multi-inch LED LCD TVs then look closely.
Around the outside is this narrow strip of black plastic.
If you stare at it long enough you'll forget the trash being seen on the screen and probably fall asleep which will leave you in a far better state than watching whatever you planned to watch in the first place.

Stinkypup Feb 10th 2016 6:14 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 11862933)
If you have one of these new fangled multi-inch LED LCD TVs then look closely.
Around the outside is this narrow strip of black plastic.
If you stare at it long enough you'll forget the trash being seen on the screen and probably fall asleep which will leave you in a far better state than watching whatever you planned to watch in the first place.

You grump Dave:sneaky:

Stream boy stream!:cool:

Jsmth321 Feb 10th 2016 6:36 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
Just my usual stuff, but we are old school and still use cable....:lol:


Monday- Only Jane the Virgin.

Tuesday- NCIS and if on Railroad Alaska just because I like trains.

Wed- I think is L & O SVU

Sunday- Good Wife and Madam Secretary.


I also find Schitts Creek on CBC okay enough.

I also watch various shows on Discovery ID, shows like Murder Book, Homicide Hunter, and other crime shows, some are interesting, some not so much.


I also watch some stuff on PBS, mostly American Experience which is the name but it's made up of various documentaries about things, last week was Bonnie and Clyde for example, not sure what this weeks was about, haven't watched it yet.


Oh and since Shaw has provided 2 months of shomi (would never pay money for it though) I find Fresh off the Boat entertaining enough, a pretty stupid show in reality, but passes time in the middle of the night.

Stinkypup Feb 10th 2016 6:43 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11862950)
Just my usual stuff, but we are old school and still use cable....:lol:


Monday- Only Jane the Virgin.

Tuesday- NCIS and if on Railroad Alaska just because I like trains.

Wed- I think is L & O SVU

Sunday- Good Wife and Madam Secretary.


I also find Schitts Creek on CBC okay enough.

I also watch various shows on Discovery ID, shows like Murder Book, Homicide Hunter, and other crime shows, some are interesting, some not so much.


I also watch some stuff on PBS, mostly American Experience which is the name but it's made up of various documentaries about things, last week was Bonnie and Clyde for example, not sure what this weeks was about, haven't watched it yet.


Oh and since Shaw has provided 2 months of shomi (would never pay money for it though) I find Fresh off the Boat entertaining enough, a pretty stupid show in reality, but passes time in the middle of the night.

Cable is fine. Night time is typically for sleep- as you know, disordered circadian rhythms are not good for your health

Jsmth321 Feb 10th 2016 6:54 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11862958)
Cable is fine. Night time is typically for sleep- as you know, disordered circadian rhythms are not good for your health

Oh I know sleep is important, my sleep system is all screwy and well a certain medication the doctor has me trying is a stimulant and well has made sleeping even more difficult, so I shall be discussing if said stimulant is necessary.

I've had a messed up sleep pattern nearly my entire adult life, maybe from all the shift work and overnight work I did for so many years?


I did talk to my GP but his solution was pills, and eh not a fan of sleeping pills and how they make you feel the next day, they certainly put you to sleep, but at least for me, I do not feel rested the next day, and kind of feel hungover.

BristolUK Feb 10th 2016 12:21 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11862902)
Not sure when the last thread was done- probably last week and I haven't noticed!

You're right, it was. Albeit with Brit TV in mind :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...-shows-871697/

BristolUK Feb 10th 2016 12:28 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
Spin (Les Hommes de l'ombre) comes highly recommended so I've downloaded the first series. I'll get around to the latest Shetland soon and Happy Valley is also on the agenda.

Still have to catch up on The Wire and might get around to Boardwalk Empire one day. :unsure:

Shard Feb 10th 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
Nope. Nowt. Not till next Fall went Homeland returns.

Stinkypup Feb 10th 2016 3:36 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11863162)
You're right, it was. Albeit with Brit TV in mind :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...-shows-871697/

There you go, I told you I would miss it!


Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11863286)
Nope. Nowt. Not till next Fall went Homeland returns.

What, nothing tickles your fancy?? :confused: I have watched some great stuff on other people's recommendation which I would never have watched otherwise or are you just a non TV kind of guy?

magnumpi Feb 10th 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
The programme on 5 last night was interesting, regarding giving benifits families 1 year of benifits all at once £26,500 then sit back and see what they do with it

One of the sons purchased a PS4 and games so at least that money went to good use

Alan2005 Feb 10th 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11863357)
One of the sons purchased a PS4 and games so at least that money went to good use

If you have a lot of time and not a lot of money then a games console isn't a bad purchase really.

JamesM Feb 10th 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 
I watched a terribly dark and horrific show recently called "Outlander".

Peaky Blinders was good but season 1 only 6 episodes.

Alan2005 Feb 10th 2016 4:48 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11863409)
Peaky Blinders was good but season 1 only 6 episodes.

I saw the first episode of that and thought it was decent. But it's a series and I can never be arsed with the commitment required to keep up with them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:48 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.