Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

COVID is making me hate Canada

COVID is making me hate Canada

Old Oct 29th 2021, 5:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID is making me hate Canada

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I had covid back in May (2 days before my first vaccination appointment). Fit and healthy out walking dogs, riding my horse competitively type of person. It floored me for two weeks with my oxygen levels at 93%.
Now at the end of October I cant ride a whole hour without needing two days to stop feeling wiped out, like no energy at all. My smell and taste are still absent. My chest regularly feels like i have a two year old sitting on me. I took my horse to a cross country clinic for a weekend and rode the two days max 1.5 hours at a time with lots of sitting around and chatting in that timeframe. It took me a week to recover.

I would take all the boosters and all the shots to avoid this. I am hoping it gets better at some point.
So sorry to hear that you continue to suffer from 'Long Covid'
Old Oct 29th 2021, 5:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou. I hate this. Its awful, and I know I was lucky.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I think I'd rather catch a mild case of COVID than go through the vaccine side effects twice a year. My 3rd booster shot floored me for 24hrs.
The problem is that if you didn't keep getting the boosters, then the mild Covid wouldn't be mild, you would get the same as any unvaccinated person
Old Oct 29th 2021, 11:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I had covid back in May (2 days before my first vaccination appointment). Fit and healthy out walking dogs, riding my horse competitively type of person. It floored me for two weeks with my oxygen levels at 93%.
Now at the end of October I cant ride a whole hour without needing two days to stop feeling wiped out, like no energy at all. My smell and taste are still absent. My chest regularly feels like i have a two year old sitting on me. I took my horse to a cross country clinic for a weekend and rode the two days max 1.5 hours at a time with lots of sitting around and chatting in that timeframe. It took me a week to recover.

I would take all the boosters and all the shots to avoid this. I am hoping it gets better at some point.
Thanks for sharing your condition, and sorry to hear that you have been adversely affected. It's a reminder of just how serious this virus can be. That's a very long time without taste and smell, and to have chest restriction. Do the health professionals give you any indication when it might improve or is there simply insufficent data yet?
Old Oct 30th 2021, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada appears to have no intention of going work from home permanently, announcing office workers will need to begin their transition back to the office starting November 15 and be fully vaccinated. They appear to be doing it in some sort of step program, not everyone going back on the same day, but they appear to have no intention of staying work from home going forward.

Old Oct 30th 2021, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I got vaccinated to get the green pass to travel and go about my life...I don't think covid is as bad as "they" say, and clearly given Ontario's numbers the vaccine is not as effective as claimed. I support the vaccine but clearly it is not a fix-all solution, and I don't agree with it being mandated. People should have the right to choose. I chose to get vaccinated but I support people's choice to not get vaccinated also.

People can whine about how it's not a mandate but if people are being threatened with losing their jobs, and therefore their livelihood, if they do not get it then to me that is a mandate / use of force.

As said, anti-vax people are everywhere, not just Canada. If random people's opinions are making you hate a country then you should really re-evaluate your priorities. I have people in my life who are not vaccinated and it has no bearing on whether I hang out with them or associate with them. I really just don't care. Get vaccinated, don't get vaccinated...it doesn't affect me. I have my opinions and hunches but i'm not really qualified to say what is and isn't, and I don't really care to research the piss out of it. Keep calm and carry on and all that. And besides, I don't think it is mine or anyone else's business to ask people whether they are vaccinated or not. It's private information.
Interesting outlook on this situation that we've been in for 18+ months and in my mind it has been extended in many ways by the attitudes you express here. I get it that you are young and think you're invincible but honestly some of your statements worry many of us. We need a collective thinking on this in order to reduce to the bare minimum Covid and its impacts. Honestly, getting vaccinated was relatively trouble free..just a bit of mild discomfort but long term benefits for me and those near and dear to me and those I come in contact with.

I think Texas or Montana may be more to your liking.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 10:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Interesting outlook on this situation that we've been in for 18+ months and in my mind it has been extended in many ways by the attitudes you express here. I get it that you are young and think you're invincible but honestly some of your statements worry many of us. We need a collective thinking on this in order to reduce to the bare minimum Covid and its impacts. Honestly, getting vaccinated was relatively trouble free..just a bit of mild discomfort but long term benefits for me and those near and dear to me and those I come in contact with.

I think Texas or Montana may be more to your liking.
On the "private information" front, we're thinking about having a work Christmas function. Everyone recently hired has had "double vaxxed" on the resume but some people have been working on the team since before covid and there hasn't been reason to ask their status. One cannot ask directly so I've been obliged to phrase the question as "are you a person who is able and willing to enter a restaurant in Ontario?", to which the responses have been variations of "of course, I'm double-vaxxed, do you think I'm an idiot?". It's not a very private matter at all.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

One division of our company enforced vaccination. Less than 1% left because of it. It's the group that does most of the work at construction sites and has been impacted the most by losing staff to outbreaks. Basic common sense.

All staff are required to provide their vaccination status; simply because many clients require it. You have to upload your certificate. If you are not vaccinated then you won't be fired for it (yet) but you might not be able to get work and then you will be fired.

It's all a bit late but better late than never. The hope is that our hospitals will get back to normal, everything will reopen and there won't be any more shut-downs, even as we get into winter and Christmas travel seasons.

Last edited by Mordko; Oct 31st 2021 at 2:24 am.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 12:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Email yesterday from the Pathfinders (girl guides) group my eldest is in. All girls over 12 are required to be vaccinated to allow for in person meetings & parents had to declare as such. Apparently someone didn’t or hasn’t vaccinated their kid so the group cannot meet in person until they have. (it’s not us - my daughter was vaccinated as soon as she was eligible).
Old Nov 1st 2021, 2:05 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

For most of my working life I've had to demonstrate vaccination status for one thing or another in order to get a visa or be allowed to work in that country. I have no idea why some people are suddenly affronted that they might have to demonstrate vaccination status for COVID, except to observe that they mostly all seem to share very similar political views.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:13 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Thanks for sharing your condition, and sorry to hear that you have been adversely affected. It's a reminder of just how serious this virus can be. That's a very long time without taste and smell, and to have chest restriction. Do the health professionals give you any indication when it might improve or is there simply insufficent data yet?
No, they just keep telling me that its hard to tell. I have booked another appointment though in the hope I can get a scan to see what the actual damage is.
I still cant believe I had it. I still cant believe I am still dealing with it.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 4:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
For most of my working life I've had to demonstrate vaccination status for one thing or another in order to get a visa or be allowed to work in that country. I have no idea why some people are suddenly affronted that they might have to demonstrate vaccination status for COVID, except to observe that they mostly all seem to share very similar political views.
Indeed. I still have the Yellow Fever certificate somewhere I needed to get into South America some years ago.

Old Nov 1st 2021, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is not going to make you feel much better but hubby first bout of covid was one year ago and his second was this spring. He still has no sense of smell from the first bout. His breathing is sometimes still labored and as for feeling tired, he can no longer do things that he could last summer, i.e. use the riding lawn mower and weed wacker, etc. and takes naps sometimes for hours twice a day.

His second covid bout resulted in a hospital stay due to lower oxygen levels and a minor heart attack. The unfortunate part is that if he were to take the vaccine, he would be in more serious trouble than before as he is allergic to any flu vaccine. There is a limited timeline on immunization once you have caught the virus. So we pray each day that he remains as he is ... relatively healthy.

Old Nov 1st 2021, 10:35 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The problem is that if you didn't keep getting the boosters, then the mild Covid wouldn't be mild, you would get the same as any unvaccinated person
But I would have natural antibodies that is stronger than any vaccine.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 2:09 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
But I would have natural antibodies that is stronger than any vaccine.
It’s impossible to say this categorically; for some people that *might* be true but it certainly isn’t the rule.

Originally Posted by Rete
This is not going to make you feel much better but hubby first bout of covid was one year ago and his second was this spring. He still has no sense of smell from the first bout. His breathing is sometimes still labored and as for feeling tired, he can no longer do things that he could last summer, i.e. use the riding lawn mower and weed wacker, etc. and takes naps sometimes for hours twice a day.

His second covid bout resulted in a hospital stay due to lower oxygen levels and a minor heart attack. The unfortunate part is that if he were to take the vaccine, he would be in more serious trouble than before as he is allergic to any flu vaccine. There is a limited timeline on immunization once you have caught the virus. So we pray each day that he remains as he is ... relatively healthy.
I vaccinated people who had various anaphylactic reactions to vaccines, medications, food etc. Unless you’re allergic to PEG which is very very uncommon since it’s found in multiple household goods, then it’s safe to have the vaccine. We usually kept those who had demonstrated anaphylaxis to another product for 30 mins instead of the usual 15. If it really was in doubt, then they were vaccinated in hospital instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.