Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

COVID is making me hate Canada

COVID is making me hate Canada

Old Oct 20th 2021, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID is making me hate Canada

Originally Posted by printer
Now if the governments went all out and made vax passports mandatory for ALL places even essential businesses there might be some more people getting it and those that don't wouldn't be mixing with anyone in public.
That seems like a sensible set up. Processing vaccination certificates is getting pretty slick here so, even at the Leafs game the other night, there was no significant queuing. People who opt out can have food delivered.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You would almost think this was a satire article, but it's not.

Anti-Lockdown activist posted to social media he is sick, and wonders if he has the flu, granted it could be the flu, but maybe it's COVID.

""I have never been more sick, in terms of severity of sickness combined with duration, as I have been for the last 7 days. NEVER!!!!!"

"It started as hot n cold body chills, muscle and body aches, lack of being able to focus, cant walk, sore legs and eyes, respiratory cough, nose tingle and accompanying watery eye, head hurts when I cough, and throat tingle. Maybe a severe flu?!?!

"Now its morphed into no hot cold body chills, a more severe respiratory cough feeling, muscle fatigue after doing anything, zero energy, sore eyes (almost like a headache behind the eyes kinda) when I move them, very hard to walk, head hurts when I cough, sore lower back and sore legs. Totally drained.

His full social media quotes are in the article and on FB as well, publicly posted.
`

My wife's mom has been quite sick this week, her COVID test was negative, so the doctor RX antibiotics over the phone, never even examning her, you would think listening at least to the lungs would be something done before just RX antibiotics.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 20th 2021 at 8:01 am.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 4:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I just finished listening / watching this Podcast between Joe Rogan and Sanjay Gupta, both sides had some very good points.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6rAgS1KiUvLRNP4HfUePpA

I am triple vaxxed, I strongly believe that the old and vulnerable should be vaccinated, but I'm still on the fence regarding children (5-15), and young adults (16-25) who have already contracted COVID and have good anti-bodies. No need for a further vaccine in my opinion.
I just finished it too ! Great discussion. I thought Rogan made some intelligent arguments on myochrditis and that Gupta struggled to really persuade him otherwise. Although top marks to Gupta for stepping into the ring with the big JR, not losing his cool, and ultimately getting his message out (Get vaxxed folks!). Rogan holding him to account for CNN's horse dewormer comment was painful to hear, but Gupta took the flak and moved on. I would be good to have someone with more analytical and rhetorical skills (Sam Harris?) to battle Rogan on this topic.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 4:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
FFS

I have stated recently that governments should make the vaccine mandatory, but they don't have the balls to do so.

It depends what you mean by mandatory. I wouldn't like to see forced injections, as China seems to do. But if it were a case of suspension of the right to work or travel, I wouldn't object. Denying publically funded treatment to the politically unvaccinated might change a few minds too. Having said that, even with the modest vaccination iniatives government currently makes, there is a significant pushback from the objectors. Anyway, all good practice for when the world gets a serious virus to contend with.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

At the rate things are going, the unvaccinated will have trouble finding jobs at somepoint, I got a pre-screen text for Air Canada for a job I applied to, and 3 yes or no questions 1) Understand the pay is $16/hr 2) are you over 19 (18 in Quebec) and 3) can you provide proof of vaccination.

I imagine this will be more and more common with employers requiring proof of vaccination, and governments in some provinces will probably be terminating employment of people in the coming weeks for those refusing to vaccinate and work in industries controlled by the government.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this was Ebola if so many would think about not getting vaccinated?
Old Oct 20th 2021, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Good thought to think about.

Doesn't ebola kill faster which makes it harder to get a foothold compared to COVID?

I just don't being sick, so if I can reduce my chance of illness with a shot, I am for it, being sick even with a mild cold is money poop.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 10:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Yes. We have pondered very similar. Would some be so keen to mix freely with possibly infected people if the virus displayed suppurating boils & then left visible scars.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 5:56 am
Account Closed

This is from reddit, someone with cancer and a tumor having their surgery delayed, this is just one person's story but this is what is happening, ICU nurses saying it's worse than is being let on.

This pandemic has shown that the healthcare system is literally being held together by duct tape. The person who posted this received this when they were notified their cancer surgery to remove a tumor had been delayed.

Seems to be getting worse with the staff shortages as people are overworked and burning out and leaving healthcare, add in the 5,500 roughly refusing to get vaccinated who will supposedly be fired in the coming weeks, things not looking too good.

To our patients,

As you are likely aware, we are having significant difficulties accessing surgical and endoscopy services at Vancouver Coastal Health facilities. There are a number of reasons for this including the pressures of COVID-19 as well as staff shortages. As a result, our access to procedural time has been reduced. This has led to significant delays and, unfortunately, many cancellations. Please let us know if there is any change in your condition while you are waiting.

Old Oct 22nd 2021, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This is from reddit, someone with cancer and a tumor having their surgery delayed, this is just one person's story but this is what is happening, ICU nurses saying it's worse than is being let on.

This pandemic has shown that the healthcare system is literally being held together by duct tape. The person who posted this received this when they were notified their cancer surgery to remove a tumor had been delayed.

Seems to be getting worse with the staff shortages as people are overworked and burning out and leaving healthcare, add in the 5,500 roughly refusing to get vaccinated who will supposedly be fired in the coming weeks, things not looking too good.

To our patients,

As you are likely aware, we are having significant difficulties accessing surgical and endoscopy services at Vancouver Coastal Health facilities. There are a number of reasons for this including the pressures of COVID-19 as well as staff shortages. As a result, our access to procedural time has been reduced. This has led to significant delays and, unfortunately, many cancellations. Please let us know if there is any change in your condition while you are waiting.
Yet yesterday they were making plans to relieve some restrictions on capacity limits and possibly other small things. Todays cases were up again. Sometimes it seems like the right hand isn't talking to the left.

I've been watching the UK news with interest and i noticed last nights news started with COVID cases and possible return to some restrictions although Boris seems to be denying any such move his critics are calling for changes now before it gets out of hand and stating things like "100,000 cases a day" if we don't do something!
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by printer
Yet yesterday they were making plans to relieve some restrictions on capacity limits and possibly other small things. Todays cases were up again. Sometimes it seems like the right hand isn't talking to the left.

I've been watching the UK news with interest and i noticed last nights news started with COVID cases and possible return to some restrictions although Boris seems to be denying any such move his critics are calling for changes now before it gets out of hand and stating things like "100,000 cases a day" if we don't do something!
I am not convinced any of the policy makers actually know what is going on at the hospitals, because what nurses and doctors are reporting, things look not good.

Cancer doctors have been saying it, the rate of diagnoses for cancer is oddly low, too low to be an actual decline in cancer and most likely delayed diganoses due to delayed and cancelled screenings for cancer.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 22nd 2021 at 1:30 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 7:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From CBC today

Underlying conditions key to breakthrough infections

PHAC says fully vaccinated Canadians who do get COVID-19 are also 79 per cent less likely to be hospitalized and 64 per cent less likely to die, backing up new Canadian data showing strong vaccine protection from infection, hospitalization and death.

But key information on the age, underlying health conditions or specific vaccine combination administered to those who were hospitalized or died from COVID-19 two weeks after their second shot is not available in Canada due to health privacy laws.
And this second part always annoys me. There's no breach of privacy in announcing certain basic information.

Every day there are official figures showing things like
  • 10 people 19 or under
  • Two people 20-29
  • Four people 30-39
  • Four people 50-59
  • Three people 60-69
  • A person 70-79
  • A person 80-89
according to region of the province. This is a real example from yesterday. The same report includes
Of the new cases, 29 – or 73 per cent – are unvaccinated, two – or five per cent – are partially vaccinated, and nine – or 22 per cent – are fully vaccinated.

Of the 50 people hospitalized due to the virus, 25 are unvaccinated, three are partially vaccinated and 22 are fully vaccinated.

Of the 15 people in intensive care, 14 are unvaccinated and one is partially vaccinated.
So it's not okay to give information about age, underlying health conditions or specific vaccine combination administered to those who were hospitalized or died from COVID but it's fine to give it for age, specific vaccine combination administered to those who were hospitalized or in ICU.
Really? What's the difference?

The daft thing is that in the early days of Covid we could read of cases and/or deaths containing limited references to age or underlying health conditions without apparently breaking privacy laws. So why does it break them now?

Old Oct 23rd 2021, 8:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Honestly, the amount of misinformation, lies and garbage shared on Facebook by Canadians about the COVID vaccine is making me sick.

People share news from fake news sites, chastise others for vaccinating their kids (“oh those poor babies!”) bring up unverifiable data points like VAERS and overall the attitude is childish spoilt and bratty. Basically finding any excuse to not do their part and get vaccinated.

The worst seems to be people from rural or suburban areas. It’s like the suburbs turn people into adult children. Not just in this case either but whining about all sorts of things.

I know it’s not all Canadians but it’s sickening seeing other countries that have more of a social/collective conscience getting it dealt with while individualistic selfish Canada people just chant “my rights!” while this nightmare pandemic drags on.

Apologies for the rant, but man, it’s super frustrating. We’re going to need booster shots every year if this carries on.
I think it's highly likely that we will need repeated boosters, but you just should be glad you're not in the UK
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

I know it’s not all Canadians but it’s sickening seeing other countries that have more of a social/collective consciencea getting it dealt with while individualistic selfish Canada people just chant “my rights!” while this nightmare pandemic drags on.
What other countries? Canada has 3/4 of population fully vaccinated. Almost 5% had a single dose and will be vaccinated shortly. Thats counting children. Very few countries have more. Among countries with a meaningful number of people only Portugal has over 80% vaccinated and Spain is at almost 80%. We do have anti-science plonkers and cowards and they tend to be very loud but not as many as elsewhere.

Old Oct 24th 2021, 3:12 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to just ignore the anti-vax types. There's certainly no point in arguing with them, or even trying to explain in a non-condescending reason why a vaccination is a good thing.

I personally see the covid booster becoming very much like the flu shot in the long run, you just get one every year if you want to, and don't if you don't need to.

I'm not too sure what will happen about getting the one or two shots to be fully vaccinated in the future. Will it still be provided as part of government healthcare, eg; OHIP on Ontario? As more businesses move forward with requiring full vaccination for employees then it could spur some of those who have not been vaccinated to do so.

What does confuse me, and I'll fully admit to not doing even a quick google on it to find out, is why healthcare workers are refusing to be vaccinated, especially those in front line positions. If you are interacting with patients then would it not make sense to lessen the exposure for yourself to covid from them, plus less you exposing them to covid if you happen to have it? I can't think it's the unions saying "don't do it", maybe them protecting the right of choice for their members? They're being fired due to not being vaccinated and that's putting even more pressure on those who remain, and of course patients.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.