Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

COVID is making me hate Canada

COVID is making me hate Canada

Old Oct 19th 2021, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID is making me hate Canada

Let's face it ...................

covid is going to be with us for a long time, just like flu.

It's going to come down to an annual vaccination for both flu and covid, with "new" vaccines every year based on the latest known variants.

The hope has to be that such an annual vaccination will at least mean that anyone who gets vaccinated and then catches covid will get a light case of it. Just as we do with the flu now.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Should be banned from practicing altogether.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/two-ontar...cine-1.5627327
Old Oct 19th 2021, 10:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Whilst we can continue to debate the above over and over one thing is clear, there will ALWAYS be people who are not going to get the vaccine. You can call them what you like, you can spout as many figures as you like about how at risk they are and you can threaten to take away their jobs, their leisure pursuits and whatever else but the fact remains a certain percentage will just not get it for whatever reason and that reason isn't always because they are a nut job. If the figures state that we are 60 times more likely to avoid ICU if we get the shot and some still don't get it then what else can you say? The issue of course with this kind of information is the distrust some have for what is broadcast and lets face it how many people are 100% trusting of the information they read. Flogging a dead horse is one phrase that comes to mind.

So long as they stay home it doesn't matter. It's only an issue if they go to public places.

Old Oct 19th 2021, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Alberta has the capacity for 1000 ICU beds. If hasn't approached such numbers at any time.
ICU doctors in Alberta beg to differ.
We remain on the verge of a health system collapse in Alberta,” the letter reads.

The physicians say their ability to equitably provide intensive care to every Albertan is under threat, as ICUs run well over normal capacity. According to Alberta Health Services, without the surge spaces created by redeploying staff and postponing procedures, provincial ICU capacity would be at 180 per cent.

Given the magnitude of disruptions, this very well may have already impacted you or one of your loved ones,” the ICU physicians wrote, arguing that the pace of infections makes it unclear when postponements of surgeries will cease.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ver-three-days
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
When you are reduced to Whataboutitism, then I rather think you've lost the argument. I think you've said you've already been vaccinated. If so, then good for you, and try and build your intellectual strawman against mandatory vaccination all you like - but you are wrong.
If you are not, then do the world a favour and do the right thing.
FFS

I have stated recently that governments should make the vaccine mandatory, but they don't have the balls to do so.

You may remember that you criticized me once before for asking the question about whether those that were for masks actually wore them at home too. You suggested that I was an idiot and then, low and behold, a few days/weeks after I made that comment Canada's top doctor (although I have to admit that I didn't know that there was a competition that resulted in such a moniker, other than being appointed by a political party) suggested exactly the same thing.

I will take your advice as it appears that debate is not deemed a worthwhile cause around these parts.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You can't just say the information is available and ignore the differences in the way presented.
It's still a case of what gets paid attention to. Another good example on CBC for New Brunswick.
Headline - one in five deaths were people vaccinated.

The information about 75% of people vaccinated is there, as is the 80% of people in hospital are unvaccinated and the 80% of deaths are unvaccinated - hence the 20% or one in five.
You don't need to be a mathematician to see that if by far the greater number of people are vaccinated and that the vast majority of those suffering are not vaccinated then your chances of remaining healthy/alive are far greater being vaccinated.
But the chosen headline does not reflect that.

But not only is the headline focusing on the reverse, they've changed the point of reference to a more dramatic sounding it to one in five.
I suggest you look at what I am saying. I have never argued that vaccination does not reduce the effects of C-19. I have simply stated that being vaccinated does not prevent one from catching it, or passing it on.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are taking it the wrong way.

It's already been established - and I know you have read the information - that a vaccinated person is infectious for a shorter period. This reduces the period during which they may infect others. It's also suggested - from other research - that whatever load is passed on during this reduced period of being infectious is lower than had the carrier not been vaccinated.

That means that the vaccines reduce everyone's chances of getting covid or or becoming ill from it. This is not the same as a vaccinated individual being less likely to 'get it' because they are vaccinated but it does mean they are less likely to get it because of the vaccines that others have received.

It's a subtle difference but it amounts to the same collective benefit.
So, why are the vaccinated not required to prove that they are not carrying the virus, the same way that the unvaccinated are?
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
Yale Medicine good enough for ya.? "How well it works: Experts continue to learn about Pfizer’s efficacy both in the laboratory and in the real world. Pfizer’s initial Phase 3 clinical data presented in December showed its vaccine to have 95% efficacy. In April, the company announced the vaccine had 91.3% efficacy against COVID-19, based on measuring how well it prevented symptomatic COVID-19 infection seven days through up to six months after the second dose. It also found it to be 100% effective in preventing severe disease as defined by the CDC, and 95.3% effective in preventing severe disease as defined by the FDA. Another study, not yet peer-reviewed, provided more new data that brought the efficacy number down to 84% after 6 months, although efficacy against severe disease was 97%.

In August, the CDC also published studies that showed mRNA vaccine protection against infection may be waning, although the vaccines were still highly effective against hospitalization. In one CDC study, data from the state of New York showed vaccine effectiveness dropping from 91.8 to 75% against infection"
I'll be back once I've looked at the link you posted. Bye for now

70% of new cases are not fully vaccinated.

There's further data of course on the severity of the infection.
However vaccinated people do seem to be better off.
​​I don't know if this proves what you said was bullshit as I wasn't going for that.
It's a shame you are incapable of reading what I actually stated, and not what you think I stated. I suggest you read it again. What I stated was correct.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mordko
ICU doctors in Alberta beg to differ.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ver-three-days
I accept that the numbers in ICU is over "normal capacity". However, that capacity has been increased and, if you look at the numbers from the official sources, you should note that, at all times, the ICU numbers have been around 80% of capacity. The capacity increases as the numbers go up, and decreases as the numbers go down.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I accept that the numbers in ICU is over "normal capacity". However, that capacity has been increased and, if you look at the numbers from the official sources, you should note that, at all times, the ICU numbers have been around 80% of capacity. The capacity increases as the numbers go up, and decreases as the numbers go down.
The way it “increases” is by screwing other patients and cancelling their operations. And the only reason even that is still possible is by Kenny eventually introducing a whole lot of bans and requirements.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 2:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished listening / watching this Podcast between Joe Rogan and Sanjay Gupta, both sides had some very good points.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6rAgS1KiUvLRNP4HfUePpA

I am triple vaxxed, I strongly believe that the old and vulnerable should be vaccinated, but I'm still on the fence regarding children (5-15), and young adults (16-25) who have already contracted COVID and have good anti-bodies. No need for a further vaccine in my opinion.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 3:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you look at what I am saying. I have never argued that vaccination does not reduce the effects of C-19. I have simply stated that being vaccinated does not prevent one from catching it, or passing it on.
Why are you always moving goalposts?
My post was specifically in response to yours.
That information is already available to them, as every news report makes such statements.
I said
You can't just say the information is available and ignore the differences in the way presented. It's still a case of what gets paid attention to.
And I then gave an example of how all the facts were there, painting a picture of an effective vaccine keeping people out of poor outcomes while the headline presented a different emphasis. The point under discussion - following on from previous posts about "they" - was about how things were presented and interpreted. It was the very same point I made to you earlier about that guy making his observations in his youtube videos being an encouragement for the swivel eyed loons that dbd mentioned as illustrated by the comments on the youtube page.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So, why are the vaccinated not required to prove that they are not carrying the virus, the same way that the unvaccinated are?
If everything points to vaccination being advantageous, then by being vaccinated those have done their bit.
Those that haven't done their bit - because they are unable to or just won't - have been offered an alternative in some cases, the negative test.

That's simple enough isn't it?

Of course you want to argue that the vaccinated might still be infectious so maybe they need to prove a negative test as well as prove vaccination. But so could the person with the negative test previously now be infectious. Just how silly do you want to be?
Old Oct 19th 2021, 3:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
I am triple vaxxed, I strongly believe that the old and vulnerable should be vaccinated, but I'm still on the fence regarding children (5-15), and young adults (16-25) who have already contracted COVID and have good anti-bodies. No need for a further vaccine in my opinion.
I don't know if you saw this on the other thread but the indication is that even young'uns with good anti-bodies will see them wane.

I suppose one could test for anti-bodies and then vaccinate when they get down to a particular level - if it's not 'too late' by the time that is discovered - but it's likely easier and cheaper to just vaccinate
Old Oct 19th 2021, 5:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you saw this on the other thread but the indication is that even young'uns with good anti-bodies will see them wane.

I suppose one could test for anti-bodies and then vaccinate when they get down to a particular level - if it's not 'too late' by the time that is discovered - but it's likely easier and cheaper to just vaccinate
It all depends on what you read, there are so many conflicting 'medical' reports out there, it's difficult to know who is in the pockets of big pharma!

For example, this Israeli study says that natural immunity is superior to the 2 shot vaccine.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....24.21262415v1

Conclusions This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.