Coronavirus

Old Sep 20th 2021, 10:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Another crappy day for Saskatchewan:

Sept 20 - 519 new cases (54 in Regina), 2 deaths, 13.2% positivity, 2,623 vaccinations

Old Sep 21st 2021, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For most of the pandemic, we in NB have escaped the worst. We shut down early and the borders were closed except for essential crossings. Most daily new cases in the early months were in single digits, including noughts.
My stepdaughter's store - HomeSense - was closed for something like the first 6 weeks and reopened May 2020, whereas Ontario's HomeSense stores only reopened in the last few months. Or perhaps that was just Toronto, I can't remember.

I don't think we had more than a dozen in hospital at any one time.

We did have an increase in cases just after Christmas when the restrictions for family gatherings were relaxed - far too generously I felt - and we were regularly hitting something like 20 a day for a month or so before it fell back to more normal levels.

All restrictions were lifted end of July, by which time we had around 70% fully vaccinated.

Delta took its time in reaching us, apparently it's the main variant in the north while Alpha is still dominant in the south. That may be about to change.

Last week, after increasing daily numbers we hit a record for one day. 66. Don't laugh. Less than a week later and we hit 75 in one day.
We now have 23 in hospital including 14 in ICU.

So we have more people in hospital/ICU with almost 80% fully vaccinated than we had when nobody had even had a first jab and tons more daily cases than even at the post-xmas peak with nobody jabbed at all.

More than 80% of those hospitalised have not been vaxxed. It's reasonable to assume that had the restrictions remained in place - and remember, those restrictions didn't so much stop people doing stuff, they just affected the way they did them - the hospitalisations wouldn't have happened and the daily case count wouldn't have increased or at least nowhere near as much.

This is why many of us felt the mask mandate should have continued for the time being. And it's coming back tomorrow.
But it doesn't work in reality to do anything significant with the figures. It's the easiest thing for any government or health authority to mandate and shows the people that they are doing something yet rarely do we see any stats to show a mandate reduced cases in any significant amount. As soon as we had rising cases here they slapped the mask mandate back on. 2 or 3 weeks later cases still not going down and hey presto more restrictions were added. Scotland kept their mask mandate when they relaxed things when England didn't. 2 weeks in and Scotland had significant rising cases and there was talk of restrictions being re introduced. Australia went nuts and made mask wearing outdoors compulsory. While we are allowed to dine in restaurants, drink in pubs and mingle in private homes it's clear this is where the spread is coming from and the mask mandate as is doesn't stop this. Masks have been the thing here for weeks since they re introduced them yet we are still seeing fairly high case numbers even with the other restrictions brought in.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
...we are allowed to dine in restaurants, drink in pubs and mingle in private homes it's clear this is where the spread is coming from and the mask mandate as is doesn't stop this.
I see. So situations where masks are not worn are causing the spread and you say masks don't help in preventing the spread. Got it.

You might want to re-think that.

And maybe address the part where we (in my province) were wearing masks but still going about our normal activities with minimum spread.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... As soon as we had rising cases here they slapped the mask mandate back on.
Quite right too if they rose that much.
2 or 3 weeks later cases still not going down
Well of course not. It takes longer than that. If someone gets the virus on a weekend they're going to be infectious until around the following Weds or Thurs before they have symptoms or take note of symptoms. So that's at least three days to pass it on to those at home, at work or others of significant contact.

The first guy then stays home and gets tested but the potential recipients won't know until the following week by which time they've been infectious for several days, possibly passing it around at work (even though the first guy isn't there anymore) at home and anywhere else they may be. For several weeks, cases are turning up as a result of the first guy.

I've just been going over our figures. Back in 2020 our daily cases were consistently in single digits including zero.
At Christmas we had 45 active cases and 3 in hospital. It was consistent. We'd get a handful of new cases replacing the recoveries.

The rules were relaxed at Christmas and on Jan 6th active cases were 110 with daily new cases of around 30. But no difference in hospital admissions yet.

We continued to see 25+ daily cases right through to the end of January (290 active cases) and it was late February before new cases fell back to pre-xmas levels. Two months before a behavioural change took effect.

Come Easter and we were back to pre-xmas active case levels. But then people got together again and active cases hit 140+ with 20 in hospital.

Vaccines became available, there were still a few restrictions and our active cases got down to 8. Yes, 8 and then we had a few days when there were no active cases and nobody in hospital. All restrictions were lifted and within 2 weeks we were back to 110 active cases and only one in hospital.

We've just broken our daily record twice and for a week we're getting double the post xmas levels of new cases. We now have 509 active - from zero when the restrictions were lifted in one go.

And 24 people in hospital, up from zero, 15 in ICU. Record numbers. For a time when we have nearly 80% vaccinated. More than when nobody was vaccinated and we were all still going about our business, almost unrestricted except for masks.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I see. So situations where masks are not worn are causing the spread and you say masks don't help in preventing the spread. Got it.

You might want to re-think that.

And maybe address the part where we (in my province) were wearing masks but still going about our normal activities with minimum spread.
I said mask mandates as they are do not address the situation. You and I spending time in close proximity whilst wearing a mask we would both no doubt feel comfortable that we are somewhat protected from one another regardless of vax status. Similarly the reverse would be true if we were both without masks, i get that and i get the idea that "crowded spaces" means masks are preferable. But when the mandate is a broad mandate that allows us to be together in certain situations unmasked it becomes a bit non sensible. I also get that it is difficult to be too specific about where and when to wear one, there have been times when i'm the only one in the Home Depot aisle with my mask duly attached but that's the way it is. Having said all that if we are to continue to be allowed to socialize in certain settings without a mask its clear these settings will be the cause of the spread and the mandate as it stands does not address that in any way.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

I said mask mandates as they are do not address the situation. You and I spending time in close proximity whilst wearing a mask we would both no doubt feel comfortable that we are somewhat protected from one another regardless of vax status.

Similarly the reverse would be true if we were both without masks, i get that and i get the idea that "crowded spaces" means masks are preferable. But when the mandate is a broad mandate that allows us to be together in certain situations unmasked it becomes a bit non sensible.
It really depends on those situations. When we dined out - during the period before all the restrictions were lifted - we were masked until food arrived on our table with staff masked up the whole time.
It's not reasonable to expect the equivalent of people in a bar - only taking off the mask when their drink arrives. Constant removal might even be worse than leaving it off the whole time.

Nevertheless since at least March 2021, gatherings of up to 50 people have been allowed (unmasked); parties of up to 15 have been allowed to visit restaurants/bars (it was 10 from January prior to that); cinemas open from February, serving food and masks not mandatory; restaurants at 50% capacity but it became maximum capacity in June.

So over a period of 7 months we've had groups of 10-15 able to go on pub crawls, go to the cinemas and restaurants, have large private gatherings etc either unmasked or significant periods unmasked but having to wear masks on buses, in taxis, the grocery store, the mall and all the rest of it.

And for all that time (Xmas and Easter spread excepted) the province has been reporting the same low case figures as most of last year (when there was no vaccine) even to the point in July where we had no cases.
if we are to continue to be allowed to socialize in certain settings without a mask its clear these settings will be the cause of the spread and the mandate as it stands does not address that in any way.
I don't know what mask mandate you had where you are but we've been "allowed to socialize in certain settings without a mask" this year and the spread has been no more than last year when we either couldn't do those things or were heavily restricted in them.
I also get that it is difficult to be too specific about where and when to wear one, there have been times when i'm the only one in the Home Depot aisle with my mask duly attached but that's the way it is.
Yes that's a tough one. If you're in a minority - especially of one - then it's tempting to say sod it, we may as well all infect each other, at least I can get someone back if they infect me

I've been wringing my hands about it ever since the idea of taking away a mask mandate. But I took the view that the more people continuing with masks, the more others may be encouraged and maybe the government will be more likely to bring it back if people are already making that decision themselves. And, luckily, when I've been out it appears most are still wearing them so that has been working.

And now, because of the case numbers and hospitalisations, masks are back for public areas.

Things open 2020, masks required, some restrictions = Active cases 45
Xmas get togethers - Active cases 290
Things open, less restricted = Active cases back to 41
Easter get togethers = Active cases 141
Things still open, even less restricted than before, vaccines delivered and working, mask requirement still in place = Active cases 0

August, masks no longer required = Active cases 484 (and record hospital numbers)

Speaks for itself.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dependent on your age and which province you live in the wearing of masks can be somewhat confusing and especially seeing as summer has just ended.

I am fully jabbed. If I use public transport I wear my mask (mandatory). If I go into a store/mall then mandatory to wear a mask. Restaurant mandatory along with proof of vaccine but once sat down you can take off your mask. Haven't been into a pub/bar setting but I believe it's the same as restaurants. Attended a CFL game outdoor stadium with 33,000 others all fully jabbed. Mask mandatory to get inside but then voluntary while watching game. Grocery stores mandatory.
We have a number of anti vaxxers rallying most weekends demanding no mask mandates. The religious mob also mainly anti vaxxers continue to congregate maskless and over set limits.

It is now getting to the stage where the double vaxxed don't give a shit about the anti vaxxers and don't lose any sleep when another anti vaxxer dies. Obviously there is the understanding that small children and a low number of adults cannot be vaxxed.

I do my own risk assessment based on my needs and wear my mask.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 6:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Police in Canada hunt man who punched nurse in the face after she gave his wife vaccine

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ccine-12414570
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 6:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Police in Canada hunt man who punched nurse in the face after she gave his wife vaccine
I'd look in his local bar; he probably wants to get pissed one last time before he goes in the slammer.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'd look in his local bar; he probably wants to get pissed one last time before he goes in the slammer.
Well Police cell for 1 day then released on promise to appear.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Seems very odd that there is no requirement for restaurant staff in Ontario to be vaccinated…yet customers must be or provide medical evidence.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Seems very odd that there is no requirement for restaurant staff in Ontario to be vaccinated…yet customers must be or provide medical evidence.
Don't try to understand some of the pandemic restrictions as they don't make sense and will drive you crazy although being from Yorkshire that part has already being taken care of.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Don't try to understand some of the pandemic restrictions as they don't make sense and will drive you crazy although being from Yorkshire that part has already being taken care of.

True that.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 2:06 pm
Oscar nominated

They blew it.

Miscalculations and misjudgments played role in July decision to drop COVID restrictions
An earlier than planned lifting of COVID-19 restrictions by New Brunswick in late July was based in part on a series of miscalculations, including an erroneous assessment that Alberta's early opening was going well.
You don't say...
New Brunswick has been suffering record numbers of active cases of COVID-19, including increased hospitalizations, and this week was forced to reintroduce mandatory indoor mask wearing, which was dropped as a public health measure just seven weeks ago.

The loosening of rules back in July occurred even though conditions originally set by the province for that change had not been met.
And the Premier says he'd do the same again - which is a shame because until July I couldn't really fault the NB government even though I'd not vote for them in a million years.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well Police cell for 1 day then released on promise to appear.
When I read the article I misunderstood; thought they'd just vaccinated his wife so had their address handy. He's still on the run, and the nurse he punched out is released from hospital and recovering at home. It would be a shame if he got away with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.