Coronavirus

Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In terms of orders, I believe Canada is more advanced than most.

Two factors. The current rate is slow because it's for - for want of a better expression - the select few. Not to mention it's a new game.

The early supplies are also of the type with limited storage capability as it has to be kept at -70c or whatever it is. In NB, so far, they've only done it in two centres because of that. With the later supplies and normal refrigeration practice and having it in more placec means it will go quicker.

It's like those computer download bars that take 10 minutes to move from 5% to 10% and then 2 minutes later it's at 98%.

Seriously, I saw a graph today or yesterday showing how many vaccines countries had received and how many done. Canada's rate seemed in line with all the other countries; the only differences being the bars for a handful of other countries looked better because of more doses/greater population.
So what is the bottom line here do we think? The UK press had noted a comment by some professor the other day stating that they may well still have restrictions of some sort still happening for the next two winters as there is no quick way out vaccine or not. Clearly it's going to be a slow roll out as they get used to the logistics of it all and clearly vaccinating a few million is only the tip of the iceberg so to speak. I think i read somewhere that we need at least 75% of the population vaccinated to make a difference and relax restrictions. We know that things will generally improve as the weather improves so this will be a help.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...land-say-heads

I thought this was interesting, the funny thing is that the Guardian was one of the sources pushing for Schools to be available for those with needs. Sort of backfired.

One headteacher reported that a parent whose job was a dog-walker claimed to qualify as a key worker because many of the dogs’ owners were NHS staff.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by printer
So what is the bottom line here do we think? The UK press had noted a comment by some professor the other day stating that they may well still have restrictions of some sort still happening for the next two winters as there is no quick way out vaccine or not. Clearly it's going to be a slow roll out as they get used to the logistics of it all and clearly vaccinating a few million is only the tip of the iceberg so to speak. I think i read somewhere that we need at least 75% of the population vaccinated to make a difference and relax restrictions. We know that things will generally improve as the weather improves so this will be a help.
Agree, no quick or easy fix. Now what is Society's threshold, that is the issue.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not fully updated, but progress as of last update.

Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably all about logical progressions; they can't order vaccines until they're approved, then they can only order as many as are available, and then they can only have them delivered when they're ready to ship. It looks like the plan is to ramp up delivery and thus facilitate rate of vaccination over the next couple of months. In Saskatchewan I think the plan is giving it to front line health care workers and seniors first, but they also sent a bunch to Prince Albert for distribution in northern communities. They have been particularly hard hit, with cases where half a small town or reserve can be infected at once. Predictions in November were that the rate of vaccination would speed up rapidly after the initial roll out, and that is still possible. 180,000 doses were allocated for Saskatchewan, and there are over a million people in the province, so there should be some fast action over the summer.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's probably all about logical progressions; they can't order vaccines until they're approved, then they can only order as many as are available, and then they can only have them delivered when they're ready to ship. It looks like the plan is to ramp up delivery and thus facilitate rate of vaccination over the next couple of months. In Saskatchewan I think the plan is giving it to front line health care workers and seniors first, but they also sent a bunch to Prince Albert for distribution in northern communities. They have been particularly hard hit, with cases where half a small town or reserve can be infected at once. Predictions in November were that the rate of vaccination would speed up rapidly after the initial roll out, and that is still possible. 180,000 doses were allocated for Saskatchewan, and there are over a million people in the province, so there should be some fast action over the summer.

Once others are approved things should improve. Moderns and Pfizer combined are committed to delivering 400 million doses to the US by July, and that has got to slow deliveries to others places like Canada I would imagine.

Astra Zeneca will hopefully be approved rather soon, and J&J should if things go to plan be ready by end of February, they plan to apply for emergency approval in February in the US, and hopefully Canada wont be far behind.

I don't know if Canada ordered any Sanofi/GSK vaccines but that one has been delayed until this fall, so that wont wont be coming anytime soon if ever.

I found this chart from December pre-orders single doses per capita by various countries.

Canada 8.9 doses per head, the equivalent of enough vaccines to vaccinate each citizen five times over
US is 7.3 doses per head – enough to vaccine every American nearly four times
UK is UK’s deals will result in 5.7 doses per head, which is enough to vaccinate everyone in the country almost three times.

Some of these vaccines may be delayed like GSK one or not approved, so wait and see what countries actually receive vs what was pre-ordered.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 8th 2021 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 11:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I remember lining up for my polio and measles shots in the late 50's and early 60's. For one of them, the district health nurse set up in the second floor above the general store, and she had a machine like a sewing machine, and it came down and stabbed your arm and each kid just followed the one in front. It was terrifying but I didn't do my usual whine and cry because I wanted to act tough in front of my friends. Carried it off!
Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:24 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't know what it's like in Canada but here in the UK there are plenty of TV adverts for summer holidays and plenty of celebs posting photos from Dubai and plenty of idiots still keen to go on holiday... it's absolutely mental. What is wrong with people that, in the midst of all this utter chaos, all they can think about is jetting off on holiday?
Bizarre isn't it. I heard that Jeremy Hunt has booked his summer hols in anticipation of better times.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Ruh oh

South African strain found in Alberta in a person who recently travelled.

Upside Pfizer vaccine might work against the UK and South Africa strains.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 9th 2021 at 5:38 am.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

Police officers spotted sitting in packed London cafe in apparent lockdown breach

https://sports.yahoo.com/police-flout-lockdown-london-cafe-154621307.html

Wonder if they will get a fixed penalty notice.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Ontario considering bringing in a curfew according to sources.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7566688/o...w-coronavirus/

Old Jan 11th 2021, 10:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Our numbers are up after the weekend, and the positivity rate shows what is probably a post-holiday surge.

Old Jan 11th 2021, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

BC over the weekend had 22 deaths and 538 new cases between Friday and Saturday, 507 between Saturday and Sunday, and 430 between Sunday and Monday.

Currently 5,220 active cases of the virus in the province, with
358 people in hospital, 72 of whom are in critical care. Active cases are down from 1 month ago, December 11 we had 9,589 active cases and started a downward trend just before Christmas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-000-1.5865413
Old Jan 11th 2021, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Looks like BC did 13,000 vaccinations today, and have administered 80% of the supply.

Old Jan 12th 2021, 2:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Interesting stats;
That's not what it says here

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55631693

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.