Coronavirus

Old Dec 21st 2020, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus

I forget where I read this and it was sometime ago but they were saying that the incidents in Care Homes were going to keep the Lawyers very busy in futures years.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 2:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Parkside Extendicare in Regina turned into a hell-hole and there was nothing the familes of the residents could do. After seeing what happened early on in Quebec and Ontario maybe the management had time to bolster their staffing or improve conditions, and maybe not. There will probably be an inquiry at some point.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...d-19-1.5840770
My best friend's mother died in there an hour and a half ago and of course he couldn't be there. I'd known her for almost 50 years and she was the sweetest, kindest woman you're ever likely to meet. She just tested positive less than 2 weeks ago.
The father of a co-worker was in there until about 3 months ago, when she was able to get him a space in a nursing home out of town. I think she saved his life.
So sorry to read of the loss of your best friends mother, it must have been a huge blow to you as well as him, having known her for so many years.

One of the care homes in Hamilton has been hit so hard that they have made the decision to 'hand it over' to Hamilton Health Sciences and draft in nurses and doctors.. it's a disaster.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-hhs-1.5843815
Old Dec 21st 2020, 7:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The whole of Ontario is going into Lockdown for a minimum of 28 days starting at 12:01am on Boxing Day - north of Sydbury, a little earlier.
https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/5...and-save-lives
The lockdown will begin at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 26 and remain in place until at least Jan. 23, 2021 in the 27 public health units that comprise southern Ontario, the government says.

In Ontario's north, where daily case numbers have been significantly lower, the lockdown is set to expire on Jan. 9, 2021.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 7:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The whole of Ontario is going into Lockdown for a minimum of 28 days starting at 12:01am on Boxing Day - north of Sydbury, a little earlier.
Well at least they were nice enough to let folk have one last booze up on Christmas day.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 8:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I could've sworn I heard yesterday on CBC radio it was from Christmas Eve.
Here it is.
Ontario to implement provincewide lockdown on Christmas Eve, sources say
The Ontario government is poised to impose a provincewide lockdown starting Christmas Eve, sources confirmed Sunday, as the province logged more than 2,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the sixth consecutive day.
Obviously sources weren't so reliable
Old Dec 21st 2020, 8:04 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If mask wearing and distancing merely reduces the chances of infection, rather than guarantees it - even ignoring where people are not doing it as they should - and because there are occasions where 6'/2m isn't enough, then for a version of it that is up to 70% more transmissible, masks are going to be a bit less effective and 6'/2m less likely to be as safe a distance than for the original version.
I'm not a scaremonger, nor am I an epidemiologist, but if it spreads to more people, more easily, it will increase total mortality as more people will become infected. If it increases viral load, you are more likely to get ill with it if you encounter someone shedding it.

I think a temporary UK travel ban is the right thing to do until new information becomes available. Right now, I feel as though we are reliving post #1 of this thread.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 8:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm not a scaremonger, nor am I an epidemiologist, but if it spreads to more people, more easily, it will increase total mortality as more people will become infected. If it increases viral load, you are more likely to get ill with it if you encounter someone shedding it.

I think a temporary UK travel ban is the right thing to do until new information becomes available. Right now, I feel as though we are reliving post #1 of this thread.
That's not been proven yet, there's little scientific evidence that there is increased mortality from this variant.. there's so many varients, this is just one more... it's adapted to spread itself a little thinner and infect more people

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 21st 2020 at 8:14 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We need COVID and it's variants to be more like its 4 cousins below, who cause mild symptoms in humans. Apparently only 7 Corona Viruses known to infect humans, 4 of the 7 are pretty harmless just causing mild symptoms, the other 3 being the ones that cause MERS, SARS and COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html
  1. 229E (alpha coronavirus)
  2. NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
  3. OC43 (beta coronavirus)
  4. HKU1 (beta coronavirus)

There is a virus expert in Washington State that was mentioned in an article a couple days ago, the new variants are changing the protein that both vaccines and antibody treatments are effective against, he didn't say the current vaccine wont work, but that the virus may eventually mutate in that direction, and boosters will be needed, how often only time will tell there.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 8:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

That's not been proven yet, there's little scientific evidence that there is increased mortality from this variant.. there's so many varients, this is just one more... it's adapted to spread itself a little thinner and infect more people
I think what Danny meant was something like this - and these figures are completely made up for illustrative purposes.

Original covid might infect 100 people in a week, of which 2 die.
Mutated covid might infect 200 people in a week of whom 3 die.

Original covid has a death rate of 2/100 and the mutated version while infecting more people, more quickly, has a lower death rate of 1.5/100 but the total of people dying has not only increased but increased faster.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some improvement this past weekend over the weekend before. This past weekend saw a 23 per cent decrease in cases compared to the week prior, still had 1,667 new cases though over 3 days, and 41 deaths.

Hospitalizations down slightly, 341 people in hospital, with 80 patients in critical care. Number of active cases have decreased for the first time since the 2nd wave started.

According to the PHO "while B.C.'s curve is currently "levelling," it's at too high a plateau, with significant growth of new cases in the Interior and the north of B.C."

As of Friday 3,644 health care workers in the Lower Mainland have received a vaccine, and as of Monday all health authorities now have some vaccines to begin giving to healthcare workers.

They have not found any signs of the UK strain in BC yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rmed-1.5850767
Old Dec 21st 2020, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

For me, strict lock down in the UK, stay at home orders and completely postponing Christmas is the right thing to do - whilst I certainly have my doubts about the news of the strain being rolled out to explain away incompetence - regardless of whether it is a new strain or just out of control spread of already existing strains that have been spreading for months. We are potentially at a point where of the 5% that are highest risk, we could have a lot of them vaccinated in the coming few weeks (possibly quicker, as I would hope we respect the decisions of any terminally ill person who goes "I've only got 3-6 months, I've made my peace, pass my dose down the line" and would also think those that are very close to end of life, may not get offered it.

Suddenly we are halving mortality rates - which makes the whole thing a lot better
Old Dec 21st 2020, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Now South Africa are saying they have a new strain that is more contagious but NOT the same strain as in UK.
https://abcnews.go.com/International...gence-74838566
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 22nd 2020 at 2:04 am. Reason: Edited to add the link to youtube version instead of a random FB page that wasn't showing :)
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 12:44 am
Account Closed

A little good news in BC, we had the lowest single day case count since Nov 5th, but its a little concerning Interior Health and Vancouver Coastal Health had 78 and 79 cases. Vancouver Coastal Health covers 1.25 million people vs Interior Health with only 801,000.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...onth-1.5851806

4,108 people have received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in B.C. as of today.

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Travel ban Canada put in place for the UK has been extended until January 6th, subject to being extended again of course.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7539542/c...da-travel-ban/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.