Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian food dislikes

Canadian food dislikes

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian food dislikes

Oh, well to me there's always been those two kinds of noodles. The greasy brown ones and the drier lighter coloured ones. I just assumed that was to do with MSG but I guess I'm mistaken.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They used to put it in baby formula as it would make the stuff taste good for babies.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

They'd probably be drinking it out of a Bisphenol A plastic bottle too.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
greasy?? it's a powder not an oil
It looks like salt. Have seen msg as a condiment in China - though admittedly even the Chinese people I was with thought it was weird.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It looks like salt. Have seen msg as a condiment in China - though admittedly even the Chinese people I was with thought it was weird.
I knew a Chinese Malaysian who used it as a condiment. She told me it's name etc. She also ate oranges with salt, but then I like black pepper on strawberries so I better not comment on weird tastes too much.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You can get it here, its called accent.

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

tosh.
It is not tosh, and nothing in the rest of your post says it's tosh. MSG may be used in all sorts of cuisine, all around the world, but Chinese take-aways (and Chinese restaurants that cater primarily to non-Chinese) in the UK add quantities to the food that make it unpalatable to someone used to "proper" Chinese food. They do it because the British will not buy the food otherwise.
It is like adding salt and sugar to food. A little enhances the flavour, too much makes it uneatable. A common complaint we all have about processed food in North American.

I am not saying this to try and score points. I know it is true. I know many people in the catering business - Asian and non-Asian alike.

And, btw, Ajinomoto is a brand name.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 22nd 2010 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not tosh, and nothing in the rest of your post says it's tosh. MSG may be used in all sorts of cuisine, all around the world, but Chinese take-aways (and Chinese restaurants that cater primarily to non-Chinese) in the UK add quantities to the food that make it unpalatable to someone used to "proper" Chinese food. They do it because the British will not buy the food otherwise.
It is like adding salt and sugar to food. A little enhances the flavour, too much makes it uneatable. A common complaint we all have about processed food in North American.

I am not saying this to try and score points. I know it is true. I know many people in the catering business - Asian and non-Asian alike.

They seem to saturate the Chinese takeaway food with in Canada, its the only way they can get people to eat the stuff. You'd think with all the Chinese people here you'd get decent food.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Proper Chinese food? Generally (apart from HK style cuisine) the more authentic it is, the more disgusting it is. A whole crab cooked in warm (not boiling) oil with bits of congealed blood floating around in it or gristle covered in batter and deep fried are not tasty things to eat.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Chinese take-aways in the UK saturate their food in MSG as this is supposed to appeal to the British palate.
Tosh. We used to get our takeaways without MSG, you just ask. Here we ask and are told they cant do this as the sauce comes out of a bottle.

Even more tosh. Some British do buy "the food" but as many chinese restaurants will serve it without MSG then obviously not all Britons like it.

We don't buy Chinese food here as there are no decent restaurants in the area. We went to one and asked what on their menu would me the nearest to Hong Kong style food. They replied that none of it was authentic as the locals would not buy it.

So pleased you googled Aji no moto. I'm also pleased that you are comfortable with your version of the truth and that you know many people in the catering business. This must give you great comfort.

Last edited by fledermaus; Jan 22nd 2010 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:54 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Tosh. We used to get our takeaways without MSG, you just ask. Here we ask and are told they cant do this as the sauce comes out of a bottle.

Even more tosh. Some British do buy "the food" but as many chinese restaurants will serve it without MSG then obviously not Britons like it.

We don't buy Chinese food here as there are no decent restaurants in the area. We went to one and asked what on their menu would me the nearest to Hong Kong style food. They replied that none of it was authentic as the locals would not buy it.

So pleased you googled Aji no moto. I'm also pleased that you are comfortable with your version of the truth and that you know many people in the catering business. This must give you great comfort.
Well that trold you didnt it Jonboye!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I want Chinese for lunch now.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, what the **** would I know?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:03 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

ps I meant told not trold!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

ps I meant told not trold!!
I guessed so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.