British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canadian food dislikes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadian-food-dislikes-650413/)

Oink Jan 20th 2010 9:34 pm

Canadian food dislikes

What food have you found here in Canada that you particularly dislike? I hate the bread, its so sweet and floppy, you can't make a decent sandwich with it. :(

Butch Cassidy Jan 20th 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Canadian food dislikes

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8267391)
What food have you found here in Canada that you particularly dislike? I hate the bread, its so sweet and floppy, you can't make a decent sandwich with it. :(

Butter Chicken:thumbdown:

fledermaus Jan 20th 2010 9:44 pm

ham

ham

ham

ham

ham

slimy, sugary and repulsive

I did discover that a cooked brined pork loin joint is ham as we know it.

Oink Jan 20th 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 8267424)

I don't like that either. The hamburgers here are really crap, not that they great in the UK, but the ones I've had in the greater New York area are great.

Bali2010 Jan 20th 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8267430)
ham

ham

ham

ham

ham

how many words:lol:

personally, reese peanut butter stuff - urgh, but that might be technically USA I suppose

Oink Jan 20th 2010 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8267430)
ham

ham

ham

ham

ham

Yes, fortunately you can get good ham in our local market, their York ham is very much like the stuff you get back home.

Alan2005 Jan 20th 2010 9:48 pm

I've noticed a lot of the 'mothers pride' style of bread tastes like cake. You have to pay a bit more for nice bread.

Regular biscuits like what you'd dunk in your cuppa are sweeter here too.

(I was going to say ham, but fled beat me to it)

Butch Cassidy Jan 20th 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8267453)
(I was going to say ham, but fled beat me to it)

You could have had bacon or sausage. :sneaky:

Alan2005 Jan 20th 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 8267473)
You could have had bacon or sausage. :sneaky:

The issues with those pork products are well known. I assume we are also avoiding tea and baked beans (not that I have problem with either, my local supermarket sells decent tea and cans of heinz)

Butch Cassidy Jan 20th 2010 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8267481)
The issues with those pork products are well known. I assume we are also avoiding tea and baked beans (not that I have problem with either, my local supermarket sells decent tea and cans of heinz)

I dont drink tea and I like Safeway beans, so I'm a rampant rabbit

Oink Jan 20th 2010 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8267481)

Yes, this is not a we can't get such and such over here, but more of a, the stuff you get here is awful.

Mexican food at the best of times is not great but the stuff here is truly awful, yet locals lap it up.

Alan2005 Jan 20th 2010 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8267505)
Yes, this is not a we can't get such and such over here, but more of a, the stuff you get here is awful.

Mexican food at the best of times is not great but the stuff here is truly awful, yet locals lap it up.

Same is true of butter chicken (already mentioned). Went for a curry at lunch today - everyone I was with had butter chicken!

Lord Vader Jan 20th 2010 10:05 pm

This Canadian don't like brussell sprouts, cabbage, rubber, liver, avacados, molasses, squash, teriyaki sauce, dog food, celery, that sloppy diarrhea like oatmeal stuff, vodka, tofu, sardines, lime pepsi, squid.
However, 4 strips of fried maple flavored bacon along with fresh hen embryo's between two slices of toasted home made bread with a bit of ketchup makes my taste buds orgasim.

Bali2010 Jan 20th 2010 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 8267424)

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8267515)
Same is true of butter chicken (already mentioned). Went for a curry at lunch today - everyone I was with had butter chicken!

Not experienced butter chicken - what is it - like Chicken kiev?

Butch Cassidy Jan 20th 2010 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 8267523)
Not experienced butter chicken - what is it - like Chicken kiev?

Chicken Korma with all traces of spice removed and two bags of tate and lyles best added