Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian food dislikes

Canadian food dislikes

Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:41 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian food dislikes

dboy - you need to change yr location . . . ..
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:42 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes, this is not a we can't get such and such over here, but more of a, the stuff you get here is awful.

Mexican food at the best of times is not great but the stuff here is truly awful, yet locals lap it up.
My least fav food is Mexican - and before the ...but in mexico crowd swarms in, I spent 2 days a week in Cozumel for about 2 years.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
dboy - you need to change yr location . . . ..
done.........
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I rather like the bacon...

Cover a baking tray with foil

mix brown sugar and crushed black pepper

get cheapo canadian bacon with mega fat and dip in sugar and bacon mixture

lay in strips on baking sheet

bake until crunchy and caramelised and mega fattening

Eat
I think canadian bacon gets a bad rap, but i like so crispy that it disintegrates
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think the same about arbys. Not that I've ever been in one, but when they can't even make the food look like it's fit to feed a dog with on their tv ads I tend to think it's a place to avoid. Maybe I'm missing out....
My husband says the Arby sign looks like a penis. Makes you wonder what's in their food.....
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:16 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've always been willing to try new things, especially the more unusual sort of thing - frog legs, Octopus, Swordfish etc - but I can't bring myself to try Poutine.
http://bestsmileys.com/puking/2.gif
Believe me you are not missing anything, i have tried all different foods and that stuff makes me want to do the same..........
i also HATE the KFC here as well, nothing like it was back in the uk (or unless our KFC is yuk in town).............

Also not managed to find a good chinese place either, may have to contact my old local for there receipes (although i think i may have over dosed on it when i was back there this year )
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:16 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Tim Hortons (sweet coffee or doughnuts)

I don't like perogies. Cabbage rolls I can take em or leave 'em (we seem to know a lot of Ukranians!)

I agree about the KFC here.... I liked it back in the UK ....

But Poutine is really nice if you're after some comfort food!
Its mainly chips and gravy with some cheese curds thrown in!

You can get nice bread ... have you tried Cobbs bakers???
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
i also HATE the KFC here as well, nothing like it was back in the uk (or unless our KFC is yuk in town).............

Also not managed to find a good chinese place either
I think the KFC is the same...my problem is that it's almost impossible to have just chicken and chips. There's Toonie Tuesday when you can have 2 pieces and chips for a bargain...although the chicken pieces are small.... but forget it the rest of the time...unless you pay for a 'meal' and don't have the salads/gravy/pop etc.

If it's a typical 'British' Chinese curry you're after instead of a Canadian Chinese curry, try the Yellow curry cook in sauce (Thai, I think) available from loblaws/superstore.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why the A&W hamburger place is in business, it is worst fast food place ever and to add insult to injury they name the food after family members. What a weird thing to do.
BLASPHEMER!!!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:12 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK

If it's a typical 'British' Chinese curry you're after instead of a Canadian Chinese curry, try the Yellow curry cook in sauce (Thai, I think) available from loblaws/superstore.
i can get curry here, no its the chinese meals that i miss, the ones here seem to lack the flavour, i am on a low fat diet and after the HA i also need healthy, i find the take outs in town no good, i suppose its perdonal taste, i dont know.....

Although real canadian do a great selection of sauces and i have resorted to making my own, tell you this cooker gets well used.
I am doing fruit cake for my son at the moment, the canadian ones are covered in a sugar (yuk) and we make our own bread, just tastes better
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

SMCNI1968 is on a distinguished road

Headcheese
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

What food have you found here in Canada that you particularly dislike? I hate the bread, its so sweet and floppy, you can't make a decent sandwich with it.
When I saw the title of the thread this was the first thing that came to my mind also. However, like Alberta_Rose mentioned, Cobs is awesome. I get all my bread from there. It's very hovis-y Cheaper than most sliced bread in the stores too, though still ahead of UK prices at about $3.80 a loaf if my memory serves (though it's $6.50 for two). Bit annoying having to make a detour instead of just picking it up at the supermarket but it's worth the extra effort.

One food dislike used to be the baked beans here, but I'm used to the recipe now. 68c a tin at Superstore isn't too bad either.

OH! And Raisin Bran, why are so many of them those awful thin flakes that go soggy in 5 seconds? Once again Superstore came to the rescue with their organics raisin bran, which has the proper flakes
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Yoghurt and cream:

Tesco Value quality product (ie crap-loads of filler like starch, gelatine) for Harrods Food Hall prices.

PS has anyone read a Clamato label to discover its contents?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:56 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...in Save on and in Safeway they have carrots, celery and the like pre-packed in plastic bags, but still have those silly water pistol things spraying on them - they're in plastic bags ffs! - what's the point?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:00 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
i can get curry here, no its the chinese meals that i miss, the ones here seem to lack the flavour, i am on a low fat diet and after the HA i also need healthy, i find the take outs in town no good, i suppose its perdonal taste, i dont know.....

Although real canadian do a great selection of sauces and i have resorted to making my own, tell you this cooker gets well used.
I am doing fruit cake for my son at the moment, the canadian ones are covered in a sugar (yuk) and we make our own bread, just tastes better
i'm with you on this one...chinese food here well in Cochrane anyways is crap, although our local indian will make us a chicken tikka masala if we ask for one, however, it does taste a lot like butter chicken but with a bit more flavor, nothing like we get in the UK.
We have a really good bakers in town called Guys and his bread is awesome, massive loaf for around $7 beats the shit they sell in Safeway and extra food!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.