Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Wikiposts

Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My wife, my son and I ate bargain pasta every day for the 4 years it took me to obtain my law degree. In my third year, we had a daughter.

I worked full time during the day, attended Uni 2 evenings a week, and did all the other "studying" I needed to do during whatever other time I had. When I began, I was earning a similar amount to you. I refused to claim any other benefits.

When those 4 years were done, I then attended at Uni for another 2 evenings a week for another 2 years, to enable me to take the equivalent of the "Bar exam". The Uni was located an hour's drive from my house so, on those particular days, I left home at 6:00 a.m. each morning, and arrived home at 10:00 p.m.

During the second year of that course, we had another daughter.

Had I listened to "sensible" people around me, I would never have given it a go. I did and, thankfully, it worked. When people learn that I am a lawyer, they, usually, say I have it easy.

Now, I accept that most people have far more intelligence than to become a lawyer. Good for them.

If you listen to the received wisdom on here, it is impossible to become a lawyer in England unless you went to the "right" school, have the "right" accent, know the "right" people and have rich parents that are able to support you while your earnings are low in the early years. While accepting that some of those attributes may make the process easier, I am living proof that it is possible.

It can be done, I don't care what barriers people wish to put up.
They keyword here is 2 evenings a week, did you not see where I said the school does not offer it part-time?

The program is only offered full-time, there is no evening option 2 days per week, if there was, this would not be an issue.

I can't do school part-time if the school doesn't offer it part-time.

"At this time our programs are not offered via part time studies; they have been designed to be taken as full-time study."

" the time commitment needed for this program makes it difficult for psychiatric nursing students to work while studying."

Yes, I do understand some people can manage a job and school, and I have done this before, but anytime I have gone to school and worked, I have failed school because I didn't have time to study because I was working.

There is also clinical sites to attend on top of classroom instruction, so I really don't see a way to juggle a job + school + practicum and still sleep.

On average it takes me twice as long to learn something as an average person.

I learn, but I am slow learner and spend a huge amount of time studying when a normal student would likely spend 1/2 the time or less to do the same thing.

Originally Posted by Shard
Can you remind what the course is again?
Psychiatric Nursing.

[QUOTE=Aviator;11422674]You might out toward Mission though. School full time, work part time, this is how many students get through school.

I looked into Mission but they are not in translink zone and there is no public transit between the 2 locations which is why I need to be close to campus or at-least in an area served by translink so I can get to/from campus.

My situation is not your typical student's situation, have to deal with the ministry regarding my partners disability and housing needs.

Impossible no, but it's been a huge difficult, long time consuming task to figure it out, and I haven't fully figured it out, its not an easy task, and it would be nice if BC college were more accommodating to adult students and working adults, but the system is geared towards young students without adult responsibilities.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:59 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You did well.

I don't see a correlation here though between anything you've said and giving people doing certain jobs a better wage.

Simply telling them they should go to school or start a business to earn more is not going to help people under the poverty line.

We need progressive taxation that can't be dodged. And firms to be held accountable for looking after their people.

I am so tired from the new puppy I can't see straight...but hooray for James and his lovely reasonable posts. There are so many reasons people are held back in life, a simple get on with it- I did it approach is just so simplistic and unrealistic for many people. As James pointed out governments need to stop big business tax evading...and I for one can live with a more expensive burger/whatever if it meant the person behind the counter was paid more. Right off to bed now in preparation for more tearful howling from the puppy..poor thing
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
governments need to stop big business tax evading...and I for one can live with a more expensive burger/whatever if it meant the person behind the counter was paid more.
Business for the most part does not tax evade - that is illegal and results in jail time quite often. Business, like individuals does tax plan however, it is only good practice.

We have only to see how much fair trade goods sell vs the cheaper brands to see how many folks will pay more to enable fair wages to be paid. We could as consumers stop buying products made in the third world and demand home manufacturing (and associated higher prices) so our fellow countryman have work and are paid more.

We could also not take govt payouts, like child tax benefit, child care allowance and other grants when we don't really need it. We could put pressure on government to seek out benefit cheats and make that money available to the genuinely in need. We could have kept the HST (in BC) and reaped the benefit of a more tax efficient system.

Taxing the rich or wealth creating organizations (business) too heavily has never worked. They just move somewhere else that is more taxation is favourable, then the revenue from them is lost altogether.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Psychiatric Nursing.

Originally Posted by Aviator
You might out toward Mission though. School full time, work part time, this is how many students get through school.

I looked into Mission but they are not in translink zone and there is no public transit between the 2 locations which is why I need to be close to campus or at-least in an area served by translink so I can get to/from campus.

My situation is not your typical student's situation, have to deal with the ministry regarding my partners disability and housing needs.

Impossible no, but it's been a huge difficult, long time consuming task to figure it out, and I haven't fully figured it out, its not an easy task, and it would be nice if BC college were more accommodating to adult students and working adults, but the system is geared towards young students without adult responsibilities.
WCE then translink.

Psychiatric Nursing Diploma: Nursing Education BC Through Online Courses

https://studentaidbc.ca/explore/part-time

http://www.cmha.ca/youreducation/funding.html

If you have a disability there are other schemes

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 29th 2014 at 3:31 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. As someone who has been looking at alternate avenues, it gives me a stronger sense of potentiality, and stories like Aviator, and Almost Canadian are quire inspiring.

I also completely empathise with what JSmth says. I also believe that not everyone is cut out for business and it takes acumen, time and resources. There is a fine line between wanting handouts and expecting them and the ability to move out from under poverty probably..I cannot judge which is what as I am fortunate enough to not have experienced the getting by by the skin of my teeth...but anyway, I have nought much to add except my thanks to each of you on this thread.

Dish
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Business for the most part does not tax evade - that is illegal and results in jail time quite often. Business, like individuals does tax plan however, it is only good practice.

We have only to see how much fair trade goods sell vs the cheaper brands to see how many folks will pay more to enable fair wages to be paid. We could as consumers stop buying products made in the third world and demand home manufacturing (and associated higher prices) so our fellow countryman have work and are paid more.

We could also not take govt payouts, like child tax benefit, child care allowance and other grants when we don't really need it. We could put pressure on government to seek out benefit cheats and make that money available to the genuinely in need. We could have kept the HST (in BC) and reaped the benefit of a more tax efficient system.

Taxing the rich or wealth creating organizations (business) too heavily has never worked. They just move somewhere else that is more taxation is favourable, then the revenue from them is lost altogether.
Large corporations and wealthy individuals do pay the least tax of anyone. It is the average Joe that could not play with the rules.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking into Stenberg College and have spoken with them several times, as well several emails sent regarding their program which is done via distance learning (other then clinical placements which are done onsite)

I do have a couple concerns though about distance learning but I have not excluded them yet.

My biggest concern with distance learning is my ADD and difficult time paying attention and not being distracted which will happen at home frequently. I did do distance learning once in 2008 at Thompson River's university, but I was not able to keep up with it and fell so far behind they dropped me from the classes as there was no way I couple complete them.

I was spending about 8 hours a day working on just class work, reading text books etc. But the structure of a classroom wasn't there, and there were no lectures, and I learn best from lectures and doing, and worst by reading and trying to memorize from books.

Would it be wise for someone such as me who does decently when in a classroom environment risk it all and try distance learning again?

Stenberg would be an excellent solution if I can do it without having the structures and supports in place that one would have going to an on campus program.

Stenburg also costs a good amount more money, so still have to figure out a way to pay for it, and that program would lead to more debt. I can't find the cost but if I recall their tuition was about double that of Douglas College.

I am really wary of distance learning.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 8:49 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Your instincts are probably right, it would be better for you to be in the structured environment.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

I also wanted to show the huge difference in tuition between the distance program vs the on campus program.

Distance program is via a private school, on campus is through a public college.

Distance program is 19,500 + 900 for books per year + 1,000 in student fees.

Grand total for 2 year program is approx $41,800.

On Campus program at Douglas which is a 3 year program totals are:

Tuition for 3 years $18,541 + books/fees of approx 5,000 over 3 years for a grand total of $23,541.

18,000 difference between the 2 schools, so considering I am having trouble financing the cheaper school, I am pretty sure I'd not be able to take higher priced distance education option.

The government's student loan estimator says I would be estimated to get 3,500 in student loans, and 1,476 in grants for a total of 4,976 for the first year, which would cover tuition and most books and some of the fees.

The issue is how to pay for food, housing, transportation, hydro and the basic essentials, that is where I get stuck.

We get rental assistance but its only 570 per month which is crazy low amount to begin with for this region and the rent amounts I am seeing on craigslist we would need to spend pretty much 80-100% of her disability just to rent.

If I could work 40 hours a week + school, it would not be an issue, but a full-time job isn't something that can be done because of the amount of time the program eats up.

If I can figure out the housing, and still have enough for 2 people to provide the basics we need, I'd apply for school today. Its where I am getting stuck and hitting a brick wall.

If people manage to pay these sorts of tuition just working part-time, I'd love to know how.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Business for the most part does not tax evade - that is illegal.....Business, like individuals does tax plan however, it is only good practice....
By tax plan I assume you mean legal tax 'avoidance' as opposed to evasion.

....We could also not take govt payouts, like child tax benefit, child care allowance and other grants when we don't really need it.
But why is tax planning - using all the loopholes available to avoid or reduce taxes - good practice but applying for benefits and grants is not good practice in the same way? Remember that businesses may also receive subsidies as well as avoid tax.

Perhaps if business didn't take money they don't need to.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:14 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I mean morally dubious tax avoidance then which is allowed by loop holes of the law....wow that sounds better than evasion.

I also buy fair trade, I am perfectly willing to buy a lot more expensive chocolate and other goods so that I know a small child hasn't sacrificed their education for me to get fat

It's a difference I've found hard to swallow from the UK where social conscience I believe is further ahead than Canada. In all the big named stores in the UK they stocked alternative fair trade products to most brands... I couldn't buy fair trade bananas up here at least (Toronto is probably different) if my life depended on it. I've had to actively research where to buy my fair trade products. Bulk Barn are pretty good for the chocolate side of it. Sugar seems to be pretty hard to source, tea comes in tiny minuscule packages, fruit forget it. People seemed to care back home. I don't get that sense here. I think in the UK it is a big issue about where you're products came from. We also didn't have any handouts for the record and my husband was a higher rate tax payer. I still believe in a living wage.

We have become such a consumerist society obsessed with how cheap things we can buy things and the need to posses belongings. We could all have less things, pay more for them, try to live more equally- not the very rich and the very poor model and maybe there wouldn't be this disaffected youth who don't value things. It has to start somewhere. I haven't got the nonce to set up a business but if I did I would at least want to know I was doing the right thing and not just by myself.

Just to add... In Sainsburys back home you couldn't buy any other type of bananas than fair trade, and eggs were only free range. So people do choose to put their money where their mouth is even some businesses. Waitrose was the sam I believe although we didn't have one near us.

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 30th 2014 at 1:23 am. Reason: Just adding
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It's a difference I've found hard to swallow from the UK where social conscience I believe is further ahead than Canada....People seemed to care back home. I don't get that sense here.
I mostly agree with that. I do think people here are much more likely to help strangers - I don't mean by holding the door open - but my biggest puzzle is how Canadians are so proud of medicare compared to the US but don't have the same approach when it comes to the inequalities of care outside hospital, specifically in regard to prescription drugs costs.

We could all have less things, pay more for them, try to live more equally- not the very rich and the very poor model and maybe there wouldn't be this disaffected youth who don't value things. It has to start somewhere. I haven't got the nonce to set up a business but if I did I would at least want to know I was doing the right thing and not just by myself.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You did well.

I don't see a correlation here though between anything you've said and giving people doing certain jobs a better wage.
I wasn't answering a query on correlation. If you read my response, you will note that I was asked a question and I explained how I had managed it.

Simply telling them they should go to school or start a business to earn more is not going to help people under the poverty line.
I think the gist of what I have been saying is that one can complain and hope one's situation will improve, or one can improve one's situation.

We need progressive taxation that can't be dodged. And firms to be held accountable for looking after their people.
I don't disagree.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:43 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I mostly agree with that. I do think people here are much more likely to help strangers - I don't mean by holding the door open - but my biggest puzzle is how Canadians are so proud of medicare compared to the US but don't have the same approach when it comes to the inequalities of care outside hospital, specifically in regard to prescription drugs costs.

Ah shucks...

Well I can't remember what report it was, but Canada only comes out one ahead of the US in healthcare, no 10 + 11 respectively, the UK is number 1! Daft things don't appreciate what they have back home!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They keyword here is 2 evenings a week, did you not see where I said the school does not offer it part-time?

The program is only offered full-time, there is no evening option 2 days per week, if there was, this would not be an issue.

I can't do school part-time if the school doesn't offer it part-time.

"At this time our programs are not offered via part time studies; they have been designed to be taken as full-time study."

" the time commitment needed for this program makes it difficult for psychiatric nursing students to work while studying."
That way worked for me and my situation. I didn't say that it would fit for all situations. I would take any route available to me to achieve what I wish to. If that means doing something that, ultimately, I didn't want to do but which was a necessary first step towards achieving what I wanted to, I would do it. No one is going to do it for you.

Yes, I do understand some people can manage a job and school, and I have done this before, but anytime I have gone to school and worked, I have failed school because I didn't have time to study because I was working.
That is an excuse. Many people are able to cope. I know of lots in Calgary that have done this notwithstanding the fact that their first language is not English.

There is also clinical sites to attend on top of classroom instruction, so I really don't see a way to juggle a job + school + practicum and still sleep.
Maybe you cannot achieve your ultimate goal right away and you will need to formulate a stepping stone approach to achieve what you wish to.

On average it takes me twice as long to learn something as an average person.

I learn, but I am slow learner and spend a huge amount of time studying when a normal student would likely spend 1/2 the time or less to do the same thing.
So what? Take longer.

Psychiatric Nursing.

You seem determined to accept that you are going to fail. If you wish to change your situation, I suggest a change in outlook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.