Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Of advanced countries Canada apparently ranks # 3 for highest number of low paid jobs at 22%, not far behind the US at 25%. Ireland ranked # 2 and the UK ranked # 4.

Canada Among World Leaders For Creating Crappy Jobs: Morgan Stanley (CHART)
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

At least Canada is trying to create jobs, albeit crappy ones. I notice France isn't even on the list, because it isn't creating any jobs. Nobody will employ anyone there because it takes an Act of God to terminate an employee once you've go one. This has led to a complete stagnation of the workforce.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 7:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Of advanced countries Canada apparently ranks # 3 for highest number of low paid jobs at 22%, not far behind the US at 25%. Ireland ranked # 2 and the UK ranked # 4.

Canada Among World Leaders For Creating Crappy Jobs: Morgan Stanley (CHART)
What happens if we eliminate the low paying jobs and anyone who is left working is paid a high salary?

The wage now considered a low paying, not long ago was a well paid job. What determines a low paid job? In BC minimum wage went up 28% this year, did the benchmark for low paid go up with it?

Are the employees doing low paid jobs sufficiently productive to be paid a higher wage?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
What happens if we eliminate the low paying jobs and anyone who is left working is paid a high salary?

The wage now considered a low paying, not long ago was a well paid job. What determines a low paid job? In BC minimum wage went up 28% this year, did the benchmark for low paid go up with it?

Are the employees doing low paid jobs sufficiently productive to be paid a higher wage?
Productivity has nothing to do with it in low paid jobs, most low paid workers are probably more productive then higher paid workers are but are in a position deemed by society to be not worth a wage someone can live on.

People are not asking for high paid jobs for all sectors, what we are asking for is a living wage, which for a single in Vancouver is 15-16 per hour or so. 10.25 is not a wage a single person can live on and provide the basics in a place like Vancouver.

Min. wage went up by 28% yes, but the cost of living went up as well, as did rent, in my area rent alone increased over 100% in the same time frame, so the 28% increase in min. wage is not really a raise, one still cannot afford basic needs on that wage. (same frame of when min. wage was raised to 8.00/hr until it was raised to 10.25, if I recall about 10 years between increases.)

Companies are addicted to low wages plain and simple and have grown to increase profits off lowering wages and benefits. No reason a job today should pay less today once adjusted for inflation, but many make less today in a job then someone did in that same job 20 years ago.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 27th 2014 at 8:15 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Productivity has nothing to do with it in low paid jobs, most low paid workers are probably more productive then higher paid workers are but are in a position deemed by society to be not worth a wage someone can live on.

People are not asking for high paid jobs for all sectors, what we are asking for is a living wage, which for a single in Vancouver is 15-16 per hour or so. 10.25 is not a wage a single person can live on and provide the basics in a place like Vancouver.

Min. wage went up by 28% yes, but the cost of living went up as well, as did rent, in my area rent alone increased over 100% in the same time frame, so the 28% increase in min. wage is not really a raise, one still cannot afford basic needs on that wage. (same frame of when min. wage was raised to 8.00/hr until it was raised to 10.25, if I recall about 10 years between increases.)

Companies are addicted to low wages plain and simple and have grown to increase profits off lowering wages and benefits. No reason a job today should pay less today once adjusted for inflation, but many make less today in a job then someone did in that same job 20 years ago.
The tide may not yet be turning, but there is a growing awareness of the inequality (witness the fast food strikes in the US). There is also the issue of the government subsidising the corporate wage bill through tax credits (in the UK at least) and other social security support.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
The tide may not yet be turning, but there is a growing awareness of the inequality (witness the fast food strikes in the US). There is also the issue of the government subsidising the corporate wage bill through tax credits (in the UK at least) and other social security support.
Yes true. If I could for example make more, I could support my partner without her needing to rely on disability payments, so the government could in theory save 18,000 a year + have tax revenue from me vs sending me a refund cheque every year with low income credits that result in me paying nothing in taxes from income, and since most of our purchases are GST/PST exempt, I doubt we pay more in GST then we get back every 3 months.

Once my student loans are paid off, I am going to try and get back to school to upgrade and then go from there, I missed this semester as I didn't get the loans paid off in time, but they will be fully paid in October and I will be eligible again for student aid, so hoping I can manage to go back and go from there so I can get a better paying job.

Only hurdle is getting to the school since its in Coquitlam and I am in Squamish...lol. We may move, but its pending find a place under 600 a month which is likely not going to happen in that region. Plus don't want to move until I see how well I do in school, I don't have a good track record with school, and it would suck to move and find out, I don't have the ability to pass and be stuck there.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes true. If I could for example make more, I could support my partner without her needing to rely on disability payments, so the government could in theory save 18,000 a year + have tax revenue from me vs sending me a refund cheque every year with low income credits that result in me paying nothing in taxes from income, and since most of our purchases are GST/PST exempt, I doubt we pay more in GST then we get back every 3 months.
I don't have a problem with disability payments coming from the state. As rich countries we can afford to look after individuals who are unable to work, the responsibility need not fall to the partner or family.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

I don't have a problem with disability payments coming from the state. As rich countries we can afford to look after individuals who are unable to work, the responsibility need not fall to the partner or family.
I agree with you. It's just the government doesn't agree with us. They exempt 18,000 a year for 2 person household for income, once we hit 18,000 they then deduct from her disability dollar for dollar.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:50 pm
Yo

I agree with you. It's just the government doesn't agree with us. They exempt 18,000 a year for 2 person household for income, once we hit 18,000 they then deduct from her disability dollar for dollar.
Seems a low exemption level if, as the Huff article says, median wage is $27K. Is does BC compare with other provinces? Have you looked into it?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Seems a low exemption level if, as the Huff article says, median wage is $27K. Is does BC compare with other provinces? Have you looked into it?
I know Alberta and Ontario and somewhat similar, but it's hard to find information as some provinces are not as open as others, but its difficult to move provinces as for example once you leave BC for say Alberta, BC cuts you off, and Alberta can take a year or more to process an application. Your pretty much stuck in the province you have the designation in since each one has different rules.

The exemption in BC varies between 9,600 to 19,200 depending on family composition. (This for those on annualized earning exemptions, some people are on monthly and their exemption is different)

Its mind boggling confusing to keep track and know all the exemptions and what to report and so on, almost need to be a lawyer to understand it all.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 12:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I guess there is a balance to be had between a business being able to stay in business, and a fair wage. I guess you'd rather be earning something than the company going bankrupt..

I believe in the living wage, and I was very much in favour of the wealthier being taxed to support those who need it...which I think is what Switzerland is good at...correct me if I'm wrong
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I guess there is a balance to be had between a business being able to stay in business, and a fair wage. I guess you'd rather be earning something than the company going bankrupt..

I believe in the living wage, and I was very much in favour of the wealthier being taxed to support those who need it...which I think is what Switzerland is good at...correct me if I'm wrong
Problem is companies are addicted to low wages to increase profits, profits should not be increased off the backs of workers by cutting pay and benefits.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Then they should quit, and start up their own company that pays them the real value of their productivity. Since they're worth more than they're paid, that would be a great opportunity for them... yet they don't.

Yeah, there certainly are well-paid managers who sit on their ass doing nothing most of the year. In my experience they're usually the 'old guard' who are either protected by their friends in high places, or are too expensive to fire, or are kept around for the one day a year that make a phone call or decision that brings a few million bucks into the company.

But the simple reality is that a burger flipper is worth about the cost of replacing them with a robot. Any company that pays much more than that will soon be out of business, unless they can find a niche where customers are willing to pay more for 'hand-made' burgers.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

No reason a job today should pay less today once adjusted for inflation, but many make less today in a job then someone did in that same job 20 years ago.
So you don't think a couple of billion unskilled and low-skiller workers entering the global job market as Communism collapsed might have anything to do with it?

Western wages from around 1945 to 1990 were artificially inflated by lack of competition from the half of the world's population that was locked away from the rest of the global economy. Now someone making $10 an hour in a Western factory can be replaced by someone making $2 an hour in Asia, so long as the cost of shipping doesn't exceed the wage savings.

Unless you plan to lock Canada away behind the Maple Curtain, that ain't gonna stop any time soon.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MarkG
But the simple reality is that a burger flipper is worth about the cost of replacing them with a robot. Any company that pays much more than that will soon be out of business, unless they can find a niche where customers are willing to pay more for 'hand-made' burgers.
What you're overlooking is that we replace all the "burger flippers" with robots, we'll either have to pay them social security or live in country where there is a growing band of destitute and desperate people. No easy answers, but paying people subsistence or below subsistence wages is wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.