Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:07 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada ranks # 3 in world for # of low paying jobs-Adv Countries.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I watched Jack Ma, the chairman of the Chinese company Alibaba being interviewed on 60 minutes tonight (although the interview was 2 years old). You might have noted that Alibaba was floated last week and is now the biggest internet company in the world, worth more than google and e-bay put together.

I was struck by his prioritization of stakeholders, which was:

Customers,
Employees,
Shareholders.

He suggested that if (1) and (2) were happy with things, then (3) would necessarily follow.

In contrast to the Western model, which is either,

Shareholders,
Shareholders,
Shareholders.

or, at best

Shareholders,
Customers,
Employees,

This was a bit of a breath of fresh air.

'
I watched that as well and it was interesting to hear about his humble beginnings
Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I watched Jack Ma, the chairman of the Chinese company Alibaba being interviewed on 60 minutes tonight (although the interview was 2 years old). You might have noted that Alibaba was floated last week and is now the biggest internet company in the world, worth more than google and e-bay put together.

I was struck by his prioritization of stakeholders, which was:

Customers,
Employees,
Shareholders.

He suggested that if (1) and (2) were happy with things, then (3) would necessarily follow.

In contrast to the Western model, which is either,

Shareholders,
Shareholders,
Shareholders.

or, at best

Shareholders,
Customers,
Employees,

This was a bit of a breath of fresh air.
Too many companies these day's see employees as a liability and nothing more.

Former CEO of Southwest said it best, and you know generally overall its worked well for them, not perfect, but their success would not have happened has they not taken care of their employees.

Good quote:

"Your employees come first. And if you treat your employees right, guess what? Your customers come back, and that makes your shareholders happy. Start with employees and the rest follows from that."

-Herb Kelleher

Many people get tied up in titles and don't respect those in low end jobs which is also wrong, doesn't matter if your a doctor, nurse, pilot and so on, all should be treated as humans, not by their title at work.

"One piece of advice that always stuck in my mind is that people should be respected and trusted as people, not because of their position or title."

- Herb Kelleher

These quotes still pertain to today's wold, its just unfortunate companies and business leaders today don't see things this way.

It's simple happy employees = happy customers = happy share holders, its not rocket science.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 8:35 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Yes. This is why it is not necessarily a solution as mentioned up thread.

I do think that most small business owners are quite responsible. When you start looking at corporations and public limited companies that tends to disappear.
+1 on many SME being quite responsible or paying within their means.

One solution would be to offer smaller business tax credits that subsidise the premium on minimum wage.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
If every group of super-productive McDonalds' burger-flippers left and set up their own burger store, how would the market be overloaded?
You're kidding, right? Maybe not.
There's little to stop the employees of a McDonalds' from putting together a business plan, getting a bank loan, and opening their own burger joint. Since they're all so much more productive than the people who run the corporation, they'll do great. So why does it so rarely happen?
I suppose it is possible that in every group of McDonalds workers there is a Harvard Business student or someone similar working there to help with course financing who then decides that he or she has a future in selling fast food and, thus, comes up with a business plan.

Assuming that financing is actually not a problem because the banks are lining up to help these entrepreneurs fund the acquiring of all these suitable properties everywhere just crying out for someone to turn them into a burger joint and the cost of the equipment needed etc, most of the staff are likely minimum wagers dependent on a regular income so they can pay their rent. and car loans and stuff.

How do you persuade them to jack in the security of their work for an established company and go work for a new one without the muscle, experience, reputation of their current one?

And if every burger bar manages to sprout up another because a group of workers in each one went there own way that would kind of overload the market wouldn't it? Unless consumption of burgers doubled, each business would be selling fewer wouldn't they?

Sort of makes it a bit less viable. To the point that even if that Harvard student-come-burger flipper came up with an impressive business plan, the banks might think that another 6 burger bars on top of the 6 already in the area might not be sustainable and wouldn't agree the financing.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The other three gents on here are all firmly in the "let them eat cake" camp.
Or "let them eat burgers" to update it somewhat.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Great responses JS. The other three gents on here are all firmly in the "let them eat cake" camp.
I have never told him to eat cake or anything similar. If he wishes to, he can continue to work the same jobs that he has worked and he can continue to complain about his situation and expect it to change.

Personally, I wouldn't do that but, then, that is just me. I came from an incredibly poor background but I chose not to let that fact define my entire life.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:47 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have never told him to eat cake or anything similar. If he wishes to, he can continue to work the same jobs that he has worked and he can continue to complain about his situation and expect it to change.

Personally, I wouldn't do that but, then, that is just me. I came from an incredibly poor background but I chose not to let that fact define my entire life.
The eat cake remark was not in reference to JS but to the disadvantaged generally. And there is more to disadvantage than mere poverty.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The eat cake remark was not in reference to JS but to the disadvantaged generally. And there is more to disadvantage than mere poverty.
...and many business owners (corporations included) help the disadvantaged - from profits!

There are plenty in our society who cannot work or have the luxury of even minimum wage, they have to try and survive on the charity of others and paltry govt. payments that are not even close to minimum wage.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:56 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
...and many business owners (corporations included) help the disadvantaged - from profits!
Measly donations where they spend more on the PR than the actual cause.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Measly donations where they spend more on the PR than the actual cause.
Some don't do any PR, they just give for givings sake.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:46 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Low wage jobs transfer the responsibility of employers to provide a decent wage to the government via various credits, tax refunds, subsidized housing, subsidized medical and so on ...
This is spot on. Business makes profit, or keeps prices low, by externalizing its costs. We can only get $3.49 Big Macs if we are prepared to subsidize low wages through our taxes.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:08 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Some don't do any PR, they just give for givings sake.
Not very many and certainly not the corporations. Why do you think sponsorship exits? To promote brands.

Charity should begin at home. Look at the people in your organisation struggling before going external. External is what sells more product.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is spot on. Business makes profit, or keeps prices low, by externalizing its costs. We can only get $3.49 Big Macs if we are prepared to subsidize low wages through our taxes.
Yes. Then there is the businesses who go off shore taking profits and avoiding taxes completely.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 29th 2014 at 5:13 am.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Well I only have 2 choices, take the jobs offered to me, or not work at all.

It's easy to say go and gain a skill or such, but its very complicated when one lacks the financial ability to pay for school, and isn't academically abled and struggles in school a great deal which eliminates most scholarships, as does age.

Not to mention there are no schools in my region, and moving to Vancouver would be a financial nightmare because rents are beyond what we could pay.

So like many who earn a low wage, i have to take what is offered based on my current skill level, and in 2014 those skills don't lead to a good wage.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well I only have 2 choices, take the jobs offered to me, or not work at all.
There are other options. It is a judgement call for you to make whether you choose to look for them.

It's easy to say go and gain a skill or such, but its very complicated when one lacks the financial ability to pay for school, and isn't academically abled and struggles in school a great deal which eliminates most scholarships, as does age.
I was medically discharged from the Army due to contracting diabetes. In a very short space of time, I lost my accommodation, my health and my job. I had little money and I put myself through school (not using any form of scholarship) while also raising a son. It can be done.

Not to mention there are no schools in my region, and moving to Vancouver would be a financial nightmare because rents are beyond what we could pay.

So like many who earn a low wage, i have to take what is offered based on my current skill level, and in 2014 those skills don't lead to a good wage.
There are options available to you and it will make no difference to my life if you choose to exercise them, or if you don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.