Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another sad loss...Jade Goody has passed away

Another sad loss...Jade Goody has passed away

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:13 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another sad loss...Jade Goody has passed away

Originally Posted by act1980
someone explain to her............
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:16 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
I would just like to say:
I didn't care much for Jade Goody, BUT I do feel for her family and friends that she has left behind, the same as I would do for anyone who has to deal with this horrible and seemingly more common disease.
I would also like to say how sick and tired I am of people who seem to post on threads in such a negative and hurtful manner because they feel like they have too. The OP was a tribute, rightly or wrongly. If you don't like the content of the thread or have no interest in it, DON"T POST. Go and find somewhere else to play!! I'm sure most of you cyber idiots wouldn't have the balls to say boo to a ghost in the real world!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oldbag
someone explain to her............
Such a fitting username!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:21 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Such a fitting username!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I really hope that all the media exposure encourages not only more women to get smear testing done, but also change the age of cervical cancer screening to those who are sexually active and is not only available to age 25 and over in England and age 20 and over in Scotland. This would be such a positive step forward for female sexual health.
Is this really what's happening? I was 18 when I started getting screened(I'm now 40) and we were encouraged to do so at university. I didn't think there was a 'starting age' for screening. Is it a new thing as part of NHS cutbacks.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:30 am
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Esme
Is this really what's happening? I was 18 when I started getting screened(I'm now 40) and we were encouraged to do so at university. I didn't think there was a 'starting age' for screening. Is it a new thing as part of NHS cutbacks.
I remember, back in the 70's, when single women couldn't get screened at all, and the lower age limit for married women was, I think somewhere in the mid-20's.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:35 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I think, like many things it comes down to where abouts you are in the UK, I started with screening at around 16/17 and I am 30 this year. I am asked to be tested every 3 years, although I would feel happier if this was more regular despite the indignity of it all.

As has been shown, its a relatively quick and painless process which is there to assist with the prevention of this particular disease
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Yep it's 25 now! Apparantly you can't get cervical cancer if your a virgin so being as the legal age is 16 I personally think they should start them at that age. Otherwise you have to wait 9 years for one and who knows what could develop in that time!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, i too dont really like jade..i felt she was very gobby and was only out to gain for her self in the public eye and the media was there to help her big time..she had a responsiblity to her and to her boys to get herself screened and obviously no respect for herself as she would have made sure she was healthy..screening for everyone is easily accessable and its free if you choose to use them..obviously in jades case the media and being famous was more important..so to me what goes around comes around.."and thats all i have to say about that`` (forest gump)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Yep it's 25 now! Apparantly you can't get cervical cancer if your a virgin so being as the legal age is 16 I personally think they should start them at that age. Otherwise you have to wait 9 years for one and who knows what could develop in that time!
Wow, I'm shocked. How goddamn stupid is that??! Hopefully, then, the fact that Jade Goody was 27 has highlighted the need to start earlier. Like you say, it should be as soon as someone is sexually active and if that's 16, it's when they should start. When are they gonna get around to screening guys for the virus that causes it?!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

The reason for pushing the age up is because there are very high false positive rates in younger women, to do with natural changes in the cervical environment. So you have a group where cancer is very rare, but benign changes are very high. The result is a lot of unnecessary tests and worries. Screening programmes are always run to balance the risks and the costs/benefits. However if you have say a family history, you can request an earlier test, and as it is done in your GP surgery it's not much hassle to do so.

If Jade had a test at 25 (which would be normal) and a subsequent recall (which I understand she had but was too scared to follow up on, but of course that is entirely hearsay) then she would have been treated at that point, and possibly alive today. There is no evidence to suggest that if she had had tests in her twenties the outcome would be any different now. Oh, and cervical cancer in your teens is also extremely rare. Generally speaking screening programmes only cover periods when the risk is high enough to cover the whole population. Less than 6% of cervical cancer deaths occur in women under 35, which with about 3,000 diagnosis, and under 1,000 deaths for all women, translates to a very small number of women affected who are not being screened.

Have a look here http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/can...idence/?a=5441 and you can see how incidence rates jump between the 16-20 group, the 20-25 group, and then the 25-29 group.

Anyway it is being reviewed again, however the bigger issue is getting people in the target age group to be screened, as the majority of cancers now occur in those people who have not attended the programme.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

aah, look at the advertisement - for BUPA!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nooka
The reason for pushing the age up is because there are very high false positive rates in younger women, to do with natural changes in the cervical environment. So you have a group where cancer is very rare, but benign changes are very high. The result is a lot of unnecessary tests and worries. Screening programmes are always run to balance the risks and the costs/benefits. However if you have say a family history, you can request an earlier test, and as it is done in your GP surgery it's not much hassle to do so.
Personally (and I guess I was one of that group of false positives) I'd rather have the tests and the worries than not!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:12 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think its sad her dying on Mothers day and leaving two boys!
Celebs is what the public make - the mags are written and bought - the celeb is made . .

any way - yes she was a gobby tart on BB and CBB, ys she has made money for her sons, yes Max C is vile , , ,but I still think its sad! !
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:19 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Well I think its sad her dying on Mothers day and leaving two boys!
Celebs is what the public make - the mags are written and bought - the celeb is made . .

any way - yes she was a gobby tart on BB and CBB, ys she has made money for her sons, yes Max C is vile , , ,but I still think its sad! !
4 Bells,

You really are a romantic................

I love it, really I do..........................., but they're all barstewards with only self-interest in mind.:curse:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.