Penang Food

Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Viva foodcourt in Tg Bungah charges RM 12 for a big beer. Though if you're coming from Gurney, then you need to factor in a bus fare I guess.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Nearby the Evergreen you won't go far wrong with Restoran Kapitan. Their naan breads are superb as is their tandoori chicken or kebabs. My favourite dish here is the chicken tikka masala closely followed by the vindaloo; They do not really resemble curries of the same name in the UK though.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

You cant beat the little Assam Laksa stall near the hill temple. I missed it last time, because we just have lunch.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Yer Maw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for your help everybody, very much appreciated. Will probably pop in with some little queries when I'm over there. Flying from Edinburgh at 4 today, expecting to be in Georgetown by around 10 o'clock local Saturday night. Cheers y'all.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Wandering around the Queensbay area yesterday I was accosted by a pair of gorillas giving away free bananas to promote the opening of a new nasi lemak stall. Their gorilla suits were fantastic & the guys really funny so I decided to sit down & try the food which I have to say was the best nasi lemak I have ever tried! It was stunningly good & less than RM5.

Stall located in shoplots behind Eastin hotel & it is called Mama Lissa's Nasi Lemak Tradisi.

They have a Facebook page but no website:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mama-l...93620717316534

There are some fantastic photos of their gorillas on there, but read the descriptions as they are even better.

Next time I go there I'm bringing the camera!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That looks great... and the gorillas
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Thanks for that. Finished updating my blog so will be back next week and as Mrs T loves nasty remark...sorry nasi lemak, we will have to give it a go.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you're looking for good quality HK Dim Sum on Penang Island

We've had Dim Sums a few times this past week at Cheeky Duck over at Straits Quay in Tanjung Tokong. The husband and wife owners also run one in New Castle, UK! From now till 27th Nov between 10.45am to 5pm there's a 20% discount off all Dim Sums Very good quality (not hawkers quality), can't find similar ones in Penang. We usually get our Dim Sums when we're in HK or back in Toronto or Vancouver where they have HK Dim Sum chefs preparing the proper ones

After our delicious Dim Sum lunch we walked over to check out Coffee Beans if they are opened yet. The M'sia CB GM walked out to greet us and gave us a few of their promo coupons. Tomorrow is the Grand Opening and you can get coupons 'buy one get one free' offer starting tomorrow to 20th Nov, 2011! Another

I sound like a sales person Can't help being so excited as hubby and I are so pleased with our lunch (not common to find good quality Dim Sums here)...then followed by CB coupons and that made our day
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Hey Columbine don't worry about sounding like a sales person, I thought the whole point of this thread is to point out where fantastic food is on offer together with any interesting food promotions.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Ha!!!

In todays Star newspaper the hawker stall where the gorillas accosted me on Monday has the front headline page & photo for the Star Metro section & a full page write up inside.

Here's the online link:

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.as...1930&sec=North

Not bad publicity for a newly opened hawker stall!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:51 pm

Went down Old City fc the other night and thought I'd try something new... Tai Lok Mee. Was okay. Mr bb said it looked like a bowl of worms wish he hadn't said that. Understand this is KL dish??
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi baked bean,

Where is Old City FC???
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:14 am

It's in the basement of Prima Tanjung in Tg Tokong. If you reverse back a few pages on this thread to post #71 you'll see Steve talking about it.

It's a bit of a funny ol' foodcourt as a lot of the stalls close up early. Being basement, it can also get quite hot down there. They don't always have all the fans running. It's got the advantage of underground parking though, which was the attraction for us the other night. We've been getting heavy downpours late afternoon/early evening for the last few nights (for those not in Penang).

I think the place is a lot livelier at lunchtimes according to Steve, I believe.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:59 am

Okay guys n gals..... my chum and fellow concierge Dread wants to know about getting non-spicy food in Penang, so can we help her out a bit?

There's a load of Western and pseudo-Western eateries for sure where you can get pasta dishes, sausage dishes, steaks, chicken. Some places will be Halal so they can entice some Malay (Muslim) customers in. Other places you can find pork dishes. There's a German bar/pub in Tanjung Bungah which specializes in pork dishes - pork knuckle etc. I've still not tried it out. Always looks packed out in there.

I'm just wondering about at the foodcourts. I'm sure there's a load of non-spicy dishes but I don't know the names of them. Can anyone advise? (I always head for the spicy dishes )

What about Chinese food? I think some of the Hong Kong food is not so spicy, isn't it? Can anyone advise?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

There are a few Subways dotted around, Roadhouse Grill opposite Gurney Beach Resort have lots of choice from burgers to steak to pasta - all non-spicy.

Also Song River on Gurney Drive do fabulous chicken and that is not spicy.

Red Garden in Georgetown opposite Soho Bar have lots to choose from - duck, pork, chicken and there are a couple of western food stalls which include lasagne and that type of thing.

Gurney hawker stalls have yummy satays which are not spicy and you must try char koay teow which they will ask if you want spicy or not.

Happy eating!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.