Penang Food

Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Orchidgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Penang Food

Originally Posted by Strider24
Regrettably as this is an ex British Colony you only get the copied version..Marmite. Can't beat the real thing , so need to get visitors from OZ to pack the real, original one and only Vegimite for you.
oh dear, reminds me of when cold storage ran out of vegemite for 2 weeks and we had to make do with promite (is that NZ?) I guess we will have to bring lots with us if we come!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

I see the chef from 'That Little Wine Bar' now has his own program on the Asian Food Channel. It is called 'Chalk and Cheese' and it is on @ 9pm every Monday:

http://www.asianfoodchannel.com/show/chalk-and-cheese

It has been a while since I last dined there but the food is fantastic. Although Chef Tommes is not a Brit his delightful wife Louise is, there was a guy from Liverpool called Stuart working there as a Sommelier as well.

Enjoy:-)
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

My favourite hawker stall (Mama Lissa's) closed down a while ago but they have just opened a restaurant at the Bukit Jambul Shopping Complex & the food is just as good as before with a little more variety.

It's a semi al-fresco eaterie on the front promenade (outside McDonalds) & their Melaka fried chicken is simply superb (tip...ask for freshly cooked it makes a fantastic difference :-)

I was never the greatest fan of Nasi Lemak but theirs is very good & although not really my cup of tea, a local friend says their Laksa is excellent as well.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Top Hat. May I ask what is special/unusual about Melaka fried chicken?
Old May 1st 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat
a local friend says their Laksa is excellent as well.
They must do their Laksa with cockles then for it to be any good.

Do they allow 'extra cockles'?
Old May 1st 2012, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi BakedBean,

To be honest I'd never heard of Melaka fried chicken before, but, they deep fry it with a wonderful spicy mix & it actually comes out dark brown & has the appearance of being burnt! Don't let that put you off though as it delivers a wonderful taste of (I think) ginger, lemongrass, curry leaf & various other spices my tastebuds could not detect.

I've never viewed BJ shopping complex as a culinary destination before but I would actually go there to eat this (I do live close by though in Queensbay).

BJ is definitely on the up though after what could be described as some pretty barren previous years, it will never be a Gurney Plaza or Queensbay Mall but it is certainly attracting the crowds again.

Hi Ex Reg,

About the cockles, I'm really unsure, although on the 2 occasions I've been there so far I know the Laksa is very popular with the locals.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

thanks TH. Sounds like my kinda food. I like burnt food. Maybe i was a Druid in a previous life
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Good news for beer drinkers. The mini mart next to the hardware shop near the eastern lights in Batu Feringghi are selling new Myanmar lager 330ml cans 5%al. for RM75 a 24 can case...and its seriously good beer. No chemical taste and very smooth. I tried a Myanmar then a Tiger which tasted 100% chemical by comparison.

Across the street, what used to be "Rice Corner" is now "O'Mama" and the 2 Cantonese speaking cooks are ex PJ Hilton. Food we found to be very good and reasonably priced. We had a huge fried rice, tender crispy sotong, cubed chicken in special sauce, pork rib (all meat) and an omelette with prawns and the works in it, for 4 people and average around RM13 a dish.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Good post Strider.....all good info for every self respecting ex pat
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:35 am

That's great info Strider. Is that in Eden Parade you are talking about?

I was there having coffee with a friend the other week, and the block where CIMB used to be, a lot of changes going on. We had coffees in a little coffee place on the corner (opposite side of road to Olio) and very reasonable prices and nice kopi too.

I think Golden River is still going strong eh?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Actually not in Eden Parade, but beside. Turn right after going into Lrg Sungai Emas (new hotel on the corner) and drinks between new hotel and hardware.

O'mama is actually in Feringghi Mutiara Apt.. I forgot to mention, they do Chup Fun ( Chinese version of nasi kandar or economy rice) morning and lunch, which looks good. The sign says open 7 days from 0730 tp 2230, but we turned up at closing and they were happy to serve...got another 2 tables in after us. Mrs. Strider is into chup fun so no doubt we will try that soon as well.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Strider24
and average around RM13 a dish.
Crikey I didn't think you would pay more than RM5 for a dish

If you're up for RM 13, you should go try out No Eyed Deer in Prima Tanjung at Fettes Park. They do a fab Laotian Laksa (very spicy lah) and Lamb Rhogan Josh, and all in aircon luxury. They also do some western dishes... Mr bakedbean is rather partial to their lamb chops with black pepper sauce. All home cooked stuff and no MSG used. And beer and wine available

Last edited by bakedbean; Aug 1st 2012 at 6:43 am. Reason: foot and mouth
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Gotta splurge once a year lah!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:42 am

Tell me about Nasi Lemak. I had it last night at the foodcourt, pointed to a few dishes (no idea what they were ) but seemed much the same as Nasi Kandar to me.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:11 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Never been offered 'choice' with Nasi Lemak before. That definitely sounds like Nasi Kandar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.