Penang Food

Old May 6th 2011, 1:23 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Ciku - great, thanks. Is that the Malay word or Hokkien?
Old May 7th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Ciku is probably Malay from the common Indian name of Chikoo. But seems the fruit originated from Central/South America http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manilkara_zapota

In Australia its known as Sapote with 2 main varieties Black and White. The Cuku tends toward the white sapote I think. I grew some on my old farm and they looked and tasted the same. http://www.google.com.au/search?aq=0...UTF-8&q=sapote
Old May 7th 2011, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla
Isn't sapodilla 'ciku'? Jack/f IIRC just varies dependant on soil structure and I believe the same fruit can grow orange or yellow. Down to acidity etc AFAIK.

Not doing too much forums at mo. Bit pushed. Trying to extend another week
Indeed Ciku is Sapodilla.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ciku - great, thanks. Is that the Malay word or Hokkien?
Ciku is from Malay.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's great. Cheers Troubadour, Strider. I like them but don't want to eat them too often, if you know what I mean. The ones I've been getting at Tg Bg Market haven't had too much flavour to them. A bit disappointed really.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:46 am

Default Re: Penang Food: how many types of Hokkien Mee?

I used to eat Hokkien Mee when I lived in Singapore and it was usually kinda bland. Last night went to the Viva foodcourt, and it was really hopping and popping in there (school holidays) and ordered a Hokkien Mee with all the bells and whistles and... boy... last thing you could call it is bland. So spicy lah. Two different types of noodles, yellow noodles and rice noodles, bits of egg and pork and verrrry spicy prawn broth. Think it had belacan in there too. Scrummy yummy
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Great thread this giving folk like myself an idea where to eat out when next in Penang.
Appears so much more choice these days and would be impossible to know without local knowledge.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:49 am

And the great thing was it was RM 3.80. That's about AUD 1.20 or GBP 0.77. Push the boat out.

The Viva seems to have been going through a bit of an overhaul of stalls. Some old ones gone, and some new ones in, but back to full quota of stalls now. So much choice now, always in a dilemma of what to choose.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food: how many types of Hokkien Mee?

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I used to eat Hokkien Mee when I lived in Singapore and it was usually kinda bland. Last night went to the Viva foodcourt, and it was really hopping and popping in there (school holidays) and ordered a Hokkien Mee with all the bells and whistles and... boy... last thing you could call it is bland. So spicy lah. Two different types of noodles, yellow noodles and rice noodles, bits of egg and pork and verrrry spicy prawn broth. Think it had belacan in there too. Scrummy yummy
Hokkien mee in Singapore can be good or bad.
When you find a good stall then treasure it.
For me the Sambal belacan makes or breaks it.

Ditto with Prawn mee.There is a goodish stall in Newton; similar standard near Al Junied MRT; but the best by far is a stall in Red Hill market. Fablus, and the broth is exquisite.

For char siew and roast pork rice there is a hawker in
West Coast Market that tops the lot.
They also do a bowl of Itek Tim and some sambal kang kong and the three dishes go together like bacon and egg.

Can't wait to get back.

It's all a personal taste of course.

I know I've jumped onto a Penang food page but my taste buds started and I couldn't stop myself.

Last edited by ex reg; Jun 8th 2011 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:43 am

Sambal kang kong - now you're talking. Can get quite a nice one here. Mmmm maybe better start a Singapore Food thread in Singapore forum
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Steveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the rough

I live near the Old City food court in Prima Tanjung and eat there quite often. I like the Century Egg Porridge, which I have for brunch quite a few times. The Thai stall next to the porridge stall has some of the best Pad Thai on the island according to my tastes. The Thai stall opposite has a great and spicey Chicken Cashew dish which I think is out of this world. It is my favorite at this food court. I also like the Curry Stingray claypot stall which is in the same area as the porridge and Thai stalls. He will make it as spicey as you like. Personally the spicier the better for me.

<snip>

Last edited by Sue; Jul 8th 2011 at 1:27 pm. Reason: As per rule 9 of our site rules. Please stick link in your forum signature instead. Thx
Old Jul 9th 2011, 2:57 am

Hi Steveso. If you click "My Profile" along the pink row above, then click Edit Signature on the left hand side under "Settings and Options" you can put your blog link on there. Difficult finding your way around new forums, isn't it

We've only been to Old City FC a couple of times in the evenings. Some of the stalls close early don't they? It's a pity as Tg Tokong foodcourt nearby does a roaring trade in the evenings.

Have just jotted down about the two Thai stalls and the curry stingray claypot. I'm sitting here dribbling now. Are those stalls open in the evening? I think we meant to go look in Old City the other night but parked up in the basement, and the autopilot seemed to just steer us upstairs to No Eyed Deer So much good food around that area.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Steveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the roughSteveso is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Penang Food

Thanks for the help Bakedbean. I could not find anything that said "edit signature", I put my website under one of the options and now will have to wait and see what happens. Most of the stalls at Old City are open until at least 7:30 or 8. Hopefully with more business it will open later. Thanks again.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Old City FC has always closed early for the last 7 years we've been here.
But, you can still get really good 'home cooked' dishes across the Fettis Rd in the evenings. There are a few coffee shops with hawker stalls and one 'chu char' with a plain sign at the side that says 999. A husband and wife team. Love their food and very reasonably priced. Only snag is there's no AC, only fans. Some evenings I go for takeouts with my 3 tier tiffin carrier

Tg Tokong FC has very good satays now. Another stall is right behind K.K. Ong dentist across from KFC Island Plaza run by a Malay lady. These 2 places have really nice thick sauces

Just love Tg Tg area. It's so convenient and has so many varieties of food till late at night.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by columbine

Just love Tg Tg area. It's so convenient and has so many varieties of food till late at night.
Maybe we should start a Tanjung Tokong appreciation thread hehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.