Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Wikiposts

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by gelato
As a non-English person who is a native speaker of English I also want to point out that the English language isn't just spoken by English people (well, duh!). In fact there are a lot more of us native English speakers outside England (the US, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, India, South Africa etc.) than inside it. So why teach a word which is only used extremely rarely in certain parts of southern England in an English textbook in Italy? Insane! FWIW I only know what punting is from watching Brideshead Revisited - and I'm a native speaker of the language!

I bet these kids who are being taught these obscure very English English words would have problems keeping up their end of a basic English conversation of the "how was your weekend?" variety.
Last Christmas my wife and I tried to help my 12 year old Italian niece with a Christmas crossword that she was trying to complete for homework.

Picture of a single cristmas cracker ... but there were enough boxes for 10 letters. It was so frustrating. My wife "a teacher" was saying but how is this possible,,,, you are English and you don't know the answer . Peter there must be another word for cracker think what is it.." After my niece had returned to school we found out the answer was Crackerbox !!!!!

We also failed with a badly drawn black and white picture of the red flower. Holly I said. Nope ok try holly and Ivy nope. Then I realised and said the red plant. Ok but what is its name. CHRISTMAS PLANT !!!!

It is in fact called Poinsettia. But who knows that other than Percy Thrower.

My wife also teaches privately in the evening and helps senior school kids who are working for their exams. She will sometimes ask me which is the correct way to say a particular sentence. If I say both are ok she blows a fuse. Or if I ask her to repeat them again because neither of them make any sense. A lot of the english school books they work from are poor.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Antonia's school uses the Longman's range of English books. It was quite a relief as they look like they have been edited by an English speaker....
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Er, the majority I would think? We may be in the North but we are still connected to the tv, radio and rest of the UK you know!!
I'm really sorry! I didn't want to offend anyone I'm from the north myself. I was just thinking how many kids who don't live near Cambridge know what punting is. I phoned up my 13 year old nephew and asked him he started rabbiting on about football
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Punting is also a way of kicking a rugby ball, and I think the term is used in football as well.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:42 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giodafa
I'm really sorry! I didn't want to offend anyone I'm from the north myself. I was just thinking how many kids who don't live near Cambridge know what punting is. I phoned up my 13 year old nephew and asked him he started rabbiting on about football
Ok, you're forgiven...Only other Northerners are allowed to take the mick.. It's just something I knew, but then I'm from a different age to today's 11 year olds, so who knows?? I'll ask my Gt nephew, he's 11 and in Manchester..

Originally Posted by angeli
Punting is also a way of kicking a rugby ball, and I think the term is used in football as well.
Can't you also use it as a betting term, as in "I'll take a punt on it.."?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa

Can't you also use it as a betting term, as in "I'll take a punt on it.." ?
That's how the Irish put £1 on a horse

but it is a betting term as well.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That's how the Irish put £1 on a horse

but it is a betting term as well.
And the women of the night call a man a punter, or so I heard or read somewhere, honest never seen one in real life.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Not sure if this is an Aussie thing but to punting on something can be gambling - like 'I might take a punt on that horse.' And punters are customers - not just for women of the night but pretty much anywhere.

Not sure if those poor Italian kids learnt those meanings though.

Pecora - you should tell your wife that languages constantly evolve and English is a rich tapestry with speakers from all over the world who all speak English 'correctly'.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gelato
Not sure if this is an Aussie thing but to punting on something can be gambling - like 'I might take a punt on that horse.' And punters are customers - not just for women of the night but pretty much anywhere.

Not sure if those poor Italian kids learnt those meanings though.

Pecora - you should tell your wife that languages constantly evolve and English is a rich tapestry with speakers from all over the world who all speak English 'correctly'.
I have. But she thinks it is my excuse for my pooooooor grammar. Honest
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

"punter" now that has just reminded me of an episode of only fools and horses I saw last year, the really funny thing was it had italian subtitles!!! they were funnier than the episode itself Sky did 2 or 3 episodes and then I think the english teacher who was doing the translating had a nervous breakdown
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giodafa
"punter" now that has just reminded me of an episode of only fools and horses I saw last year, the really funny thing was it had italian subtitles!!! they were funnier than the episode itself Sky did 2 or 3 episodes and then I think the english teacher who was doing the translating had a nervous breakdown
Somebody had a breakdown because I remember watching one episode and
"quick the pigs are coming" was translated as : arrivano i maiali

Sometimes you just have to know the slang and not just textbook English.

"Rodney you plonker" is not exactly ..... "Rodney, sei un pagliaccio"
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:50 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Love your avatar Lorna. Spent €65 on chocs for the xmas tree today. At last I won't have to buy a new tree for them. Last yrs survived on our terrace.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by 37100
Love your avatar Lorna. Spent €65 on chocs for the xmas tree today. At last I won't have to buy a new tree for them. Last yrs survived on our terrace.
Thanks - it was supposed to be animated and the tree turned round and the lights flashed.
But I had to make it smaller and it obviously lost its animation because now it neither spins nor flashes.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Thanks - it was supposed to be animated and the tree turned round and the lights flashed.
But I had to make it smaller and it obviously lost its animation because now it neither spins nor flashes.
Lorna, have you gone round and tightened all the bulbs? It's probably the white flasher one that has blown.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Lorna, have you gone round and tightened all the bulbs? It's probably the white flasher one that has blown.
I can't believe that I just turned on my desk lamp to reply to you and the bulb blew!

Honestly. You jinxed me. Hope the Christmas tree lighs do work when I bring them up from the cellar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.