Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by indiebird
Especially when I found out that they gave an Italian boy a 9 who could no more have a conversation with me than she could!
That's what upsets my son - he gets a 7 or an 8 at most in English because "he could do better" and others who I know are worse (they come to me once a week for extra help) get equal or better marks because "they are trying harder/getting better".
I don't get angry any more ... marking is never fair. It's often based on antipatia/simpatia and internal school politics. My son just got his first "5" last term for History. The reason: he studies well, knows the coursework etc, BUT he told his teacher that he doesn't see the point of studying History. She actually had the gall to tell me that this was the reason for the 5 - "he will now understand that History is an important subject".
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dina1965
That's what upsets my son - he gets a 7 or an 8 at most in English because "he could do better" and others who I know are worse (they come to me once a week for extra help) get equal or better marks because "they are trying harder/getting better".
I don't get angry any more ... marking is never fair. It's often based on antipatia/simpatia and internal school politics. My son just got his first "5" last term for History. The reason: he studies well, knows the coursework etc, BUT he told his teacher that he doesn't see the point of studying History. She actually had the gall to tell me that this was the reason for the 5 - "he will now understand that History is an important subject".
What a stupid attitude on the part of this teacher. They really know how to make our kids love school over here dont they.
My son is having his school play tonight. They had 4 hrs rehearsal this morning and then they were asked to go back for another 3 hrs this afternoon and then the play at 8.30 to 11.30 tonight - madness. I told him he can stay home this afternoon and have a rest
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Dina you are soooooo right. I just look upon it as something 'extra' my kids learn at school....

I do worry a lot about the validity of studies though based on this kind of favouritism. I don't care what any teacher says, you are always a little biased based on the character of the person you are teaching, or your expectations of them. If only your teacher marks everything and there is no moderation system of marks in place, carried out by people who don't know the pupil, then it is almost impossible to get a fair mark. This is why I don't always trust some 'professionals' here either.... especially if they were educated here.....
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patty
My son is having his school play tonight. They had 4 hrs rehearsal this morning and then they were asked to go back for another 3 hrs this afternoon and then the play at 8.30 to 11.30 tonight - madness. I told him he can stay home this afternoon and have a rest
Somedays I wonder if they remember they are kids......
Old Feb 26th 2011, 2:00 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Take time to go over to the New Zealand page and read the thread on school donations. It might make you feel better about Italian schools. Ok that's optimistic, but you'll get what I mean.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Nope. Not feeling any better. Seems like they fork out a bit of cash for a pretty good system... I fork out cash here for lots of things (over €12 a day for the sort of lunch that I wouldn't fork out for unless they were in school) and it never seems to stop. I'm about to fork out €55 for a free swimming course for H funded by the comune. Why €55?? Well apparently the school buses are not 'allowed' to go outside of the commune and we have to pay to hire a coach. They are taking 54kids literally five minutes up the road and I saw one of our school buses up there just last week (probably the driver taking his mum to the Coop in the next town to do her shopping or something). I am the only mum grumbling. Everyone else thinks it's a good deal..... At times like this I think it's a 'cultural thing'. The italians expect everything to be corrupt and just deal with it. I don't.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
Dina you are soooooo right. I just look upon it as something 'extra' my kids learn at school....

I do worry a lot about the validity of studies though based on this kind of favouritism. I don't care what any teacher says, you are always a little biased based on the character of the person you are teaching, or your expectations of them. If only your teacher marks everything and there is no moderation system of marks in place, carried out by people who don't know the pupil, then it is almost impossible to get a fair mark. This is why I don't always trust some 'professionals' here either.... especially if they were educated here.....
I'm with you on this Indie - I have become quite cynical about the professionalism of certain people over here. Half of them get in because of who their parents are and not because they merit it. This is worrying when we are talking about the medical field or anyone come to that. Think of police, forensics, teachers (!) politicians etc.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:31 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did say I was being optomistic-, but it does show that everyone has something to complain about school wise. Never happy, are we? That is a lot of money though if you are on a tight budget. School buses might say school bus on the side, but they are usually hired driver and all, from private companies and there are no controls of any sort. One of my sons' school had there own school bus (it was a private school), but it couldn't be used ouside 'hours' because it wasn't insured.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:07 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

"he will now understand that History is an important subject".
I'd have been very tempted to reply ....

"No - what he now understands is that you are a complete stronza!"
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you enjoy the play Patty. Let us know what it was like.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hope you enjoy the play Patty. Let us know what it was like.
Thanks Lorna - We are going to see the play tonight as the teachers have finally seen common sense and given out different coloured tickets for the 3 nights so that there is more possibility of finding a seat. Last year there were families going all 3 nights and taking whole rows of seats and it was getting silly. So we have 'green' ones for tonights show. Last year we had to watch it standing - which for 3 to 4 hours is not fun !! Last night we went to friends for dinner and today I have a stonking hangover
(something to do with feeling sorry for myself and manual cars )
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

madmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nicemadmum is just really nice

Hi there I have just moved back to Italy after almost 2 years in UK.Previously had been living and working in Salerno for 5 years,now living in Caserta.I have a baby 16 mths-no worries there(yet!!!),and a 4 year old who is having real problems adapting back into life here.She goes to the scuola materna but misses her life in England and has become really frustrated.Just wondering if theres any advice out there or even anyone in the same area to play ideas off with.Ciao veryone!!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Salerno will become famous soon enough

I wonder is it the same school where the English teacher told my little one she was "inventing words" when speaking English......Don't worry about them Dina, with the new educational reform I have to do training courses to all the English teachers and I shall exact some revenge lol
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Oh please.. can you tape it and put it on youtube I can just see the title "The expat's revenge"
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madmum
Hi there I have just moved back to Italy after almost 2 years in UK.Previously had been living and working in Salerno for 5 years,now living in Caserta.I have a baby 16 mths-no worries there(yet!!!),and a 4 year old who is having real problems adapting back into life here.She goes to the scuola materna but misses her life in England and has become really frustrated.Just wondering if theres any advice out there or even anyone in the same area to play ideas off with.Ciao veryone!!
Welcome to the forum Madmum. How long have you been here?? What I found with my kids was that it took my 8yo about two years to realise he was here and not in the UK but my daughter settled in much quicker as she was almost four when we moved here. My son really struggled with the language too and had mean teachers who didn't really want him in the class which didn't help, but it does get slowly better. You might find that you can organise some playdates with some of his classmates at the Asilo and that might be the best thing for him. Here, I spent a long time trying to seek out English company and I found that it made it worse for the kids as they just wanted to be in that English world more than in the new Italian world. You might find differently though and maybe it might be helpful for your kids. I'm not near you I'm afraid but it does slowly get easier.xxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.