Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:30 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Originally Posted by Ginolatino
Hi,
I wanted to get a Sky Uk subscription in Milan but I have heard a couple of weird things about having Sky Uk in Italy so I wanted to check with anybody that can help me out if they are true or not.

Somebody told me that Sky Uk can easily find out (trough a satellite signal) whether or not the box is in the Uk or abroad, that's why any Sky card could be frozen by Sky after a certain period.
The only exception would be Gibraltar and that's why there are Gibraltar based Sky Uk cards resellers that can be bought throughout Europe.

Has anybody experienced any problems by using Sky Uk in Italy recently?
Has anybody tried any of these card resellers?
Unfortunately currently I haven't got a Uk address to use to get a new Sky subscription.

Maybe some or all of my questions and doubts were answered in this thread before, but technology, rules and laws do change , and that's why I am asking all this.

Thanks a lot
Unless they are using advanced CIA tech there is no way they can trace the signal. There are over 10 million Sky TV subscribers and a good number of them are based in France, Spain and Portugal. The only sure way for them to know is if you tell them and/or you call them from abroad from a normal phone line and Sky see the foreign number.

Have no idea about Gibraltar based resellers but just remember that Sky UK TV is for UK residents. Any resellers in Europe are basically offering a management service for which you pay them a subscription on top of the Sky fee, i.e. they provide a UK address to go with the Sky card and deal with any correspondence with Sky on your behalf - so they are in effect, hiding your place of residence from Sky.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Ginolatino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by duffer
Unless they are using advanced CIA tech there is no way they can trace the signal. There are over 10 million Sky TV subscribers and a good number of them are based in France, Spain and Portugal. The only sure way for them to know is if you tell them and/or you call them from abroad from a normal phone line and Sky see the foreign number.

Have no idea about Gibraltar based resellers but just remember that Sky UK TV is for UK residents. Any resellers in Europe are basically offering a management service for which you pay them a subscription on top of the Sky fee, i.e. they provide a UK address to go with the Sky card and deal with any correspondence with Sky on your behalf - so they are in effect, hiding your place of residence from Sky.
Thanks for the answer Duffer,
I had some doubts myself about Sky being able to trace your signal, but I just wanted to be sure.

So basically you can only get a subscription if you have a valid address within the Uk, no matter if it is yours or a friend's one, I guess.
Is it a problem paying the monthly fee with an Italian credit card?
Does the name on the credit card has to be the same as the one on the address you are giving to Sky?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:56 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answer Duffer,
I had some doubts myself about Sky being able to trace your signal, but I just wanted to be sure.

So basically you can only get a subscription if you have a valid address within the Uk, no matter if it is yours or a friend's one, I guess.
Is it a problem paying the monthly fee with an Italian credit card?
Does the name on the credit card has to be the same as the one on the address you are giving to Sky?
You can only get a subscription DIRECTLY from Sky with a UK address. The only other way that I know would be through one of the numerous resellers who will charge around 100 euro per year minimum for the admin of your ac.

I know it's possible to use a foreign credit card, I have made a one off payment a couple of years ago with my Italian credit card and it caused no problems. However, I do not know if it's OK for the monthly subscription - depends if the billing address is required for the card in which case it could cause complications.

You should be able to use a payment method in someone else's name too, like a husband paying for his wife for example.

I suggest, you give them a call with these last couple of queries using Skype or a UK Voip number, with the pretense that you want to sign up, i.e. you're a foreigner living in the UK and only have an Italian credit card...
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Ginolatino is an unknown quantity at this point

You can only get a subscription DIRECTLY from Sky with a UK address. The only other way that I know would be through one of the numerous resellers who will charge around 100 euro per year minimum for the admin of your ac.

I know it's possible to use a foreign credit card, I have made a one off payment a couple of years ago with my Italian credit card and it caused no problems. However, I do not know if it's OK for the monthly subscription - depends if the billing address is required for the card in which case it could cause complications.

You should be able to use a payment method in someone else's name too, like a husband paying for his wife for example.

I suggest, you give them a call with these last couple of queries using Skype or a UK Voip number, with the pretense that you want to sign up, i.e. you're a foreigner living in the UK and only have an Italian credit card...

Yes, I think I will call them using Skype, that's definitely the best way to find out.
By the way,do you know any reliable reseller?
Because the problem is not only how much you pay, it is also if you end up having nothing for what you have paid for .........
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:05 pm
Pull my finger

I don't know anyone using a management company for their Sky TV sorry. Lots of people have been on here using their UK subscription in Italy though. I would also suggest posting on the Spain forum, there are a lot more expats with satellites set up for UK TV, who might be able to recommend a firm to you.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

sdent12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Duffer for giving me reassurance about setting up my Sky system in Italy. Sorry it has taken a while to reply but have been incommunicado for a couple of days.
Have you any idea how things might change when "the signal is transferred from 1N to the new Astra channels".
Any additional information would be gratefully received.
Once again many thanks for your help.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:09 pm
Pull my finger

I'm just hoping things stay the same as they were! Obviously with 1N the footprint is now wider and people are receiving channels they weren't previously from 2D. I'm guessing that if you did receive 2D you should be able to receive from the new 2E/F/G satellites when they're up and running in 2013 but this is just speculation at the moment however the opinion is that the signal will be closer to if not slightly worse than 2D and unlike the signal from 1N.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Because the problem is not only how much you pay, it is also if you end up having nothing for what you have paid for .........
it seems to me that if you were going to pay a reseller for a subscription this might not be a bad idea, you can get sky plus all the other usual UK channels; http://www.uktv2c.com/
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:12 pm
Pull my finger

It seems a lot of people here have friends and family in the UK with Sky who do not use their Sky Go app.

Sky Go is a free app that you download onto iPad, iPhone, Android, PC, Xbox 360 and lets you watch selected channels including movies and sport.

It's free to use if you have a Sky TV subscription otherwise you could even sign up monthly to it although it is rather expensive.

Each household with Sky in the UK can register upto 2 devices for their free Sky Go, so in theory the only thing you need to take advantage of this is a UK VPN or proxy.

Speaking of VPNs, I've recently tried Hide My Ass, it's quite professional and very cheap if you go for the annual payment option. It also provides you with various IPs therefore you could use it for catch-up TV from both the USA and the UK. Also if you have numerous devices in your household, depending on your router, you could set up the VPN on the router without having to worry about fiddling about on each device, e.g. pc, ipad, smart TV, iphone, etc. They have a 30 day money back guarantee as well in case it doesn't work out for you. It seems to be working well at the moment. Sky Go is functioning!!!
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

It seems a lot of people here have friends and family in the UK with Sky who do not use their Sky Go app.

Sky Go is a free app that you download onto iPad, iPhone, Android, PC, Xbox 360 and lets you watch selected channels including movies and sport.

It's free to use if you have a Sky TV subscription otherwise you could even sign up monthly to it although it is rather expensive.

Each household with Sky in the UK can register upto 2 devices for their free Sky Go, so in theory the only thing you need to take advantage of this is a UK VPN or proxy.

Speaking of VPNs, I've recently tried Hide My Ass, it's quite professional and very cheap if you go for the annual payment option. It also provides you with various IPs therefore you could use it for catch-up TV from both the USA and the UK. Also if you have numerous devices in your household, depending on your router, you could set up the VPN on the router without having to worry about fiddling about on each device, e.g. pc, ipad, smart TV, iphone, etc. They have a 30 day money back guarantee as well in case it doesn't work out for you. It seems to be working well at the moment. Sky Go is functioning!!!
Hide my Ass Love it.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I think I will call them using Skype, that's definitely the best way to find out.
There is a guy based in Catania who does this. I started off with them 10 years ago when I didn't have a clue what to do. They'll deal with the SKY end (setting up the account with your CC etc.) and getting the box/card to you. You only need to worry about the installer for the dish. They may be able to give you recommendations. Just do a quick search, I think he has a website.

I discontinued their service after about 18 months though because I thought I was paying too much for them to 'manage my account'. Not at all difficult to do this yourself.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that since a few days ago we have lost the UK channels, BBC/ITV/Channel4.
Anyone else experience this?
Old May 8th 2012, 10:14 am
Pull my finger

No problems for us, we've been watching the world championship snooker. Are you getting any error signals? Are any of the free UK channels still working?
Old May 8th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

tonber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

This morning I had to re scan my freeview box (aerial), they have re jigged the channels.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

No problems for us, we've been watching the world championship snooker. Are you getting any error signals? Are any of the free UK channels still working?
I discovered the problem-the mimosa tree that has grown and is shielding the dish a bit. We are hacking branches off this afternoon.

I went to my friend's house this morning and she had no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.