Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:54 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

You've answered your own question:

To benefit from the Multiroom price for your 2nd digibox, BOTH digiboxes must be connected to the same phoneline, in order for the boxes to make regular callbacks to Sky. So basically, Sky are using caller ID to confirm that both the boxes are physically in the same household.

If you know of any VOIP or other method that can mask your caller ID then this is the solution.

Don't take my word for it certainly but if there is a big price difference between a 120cm and 100cm dish, you could go for the smaller dish, as there are user reports from several people successfully using 100cm dishes in Varese, Milan and Modena. The worst case scenario is that you might get intermittent reception of BBC and ITV on a 100cm but full reception of the subscription channels.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

MattinMilan is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks duffer.

think you're confirming what i suspected.

Called sky posing the question of what would happen if it's too physically awkward to connect my multiroom box to a phone line and they told me that i'll be able to pay the £10.25 for 3 months (whilst they send reminder letters to plug the box in) then will automatically charge me the full amount (£24.50 in this case, + the £10.25 multiroom fee). She made it sound like it was relatively common (which given the number of sky boxes across europe it must be).

Need to decide whether it's worth forking out the extra money for a 1.2m dish.

There definitely is a price bump. I can get a 1m or 1.1m dish for c.£80, but a 1.2m will cost £175+.

FYI, the info i got from calling around a few of the shops and asking advice was that a matched feedhorn was of greater importance than LNB brand (as long as it's half decent). I.e. getting an LNB holder that was the same brand and designed specifically for the dish would give greater improvement in signal quality than an amazing LNB. Having said all that, given the cost, i'll probably get the Invacom LNB!

Cheers again
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:08 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao,

So regarding the Multiroom, you'd have to pay the normal subcription fee AND the multiroom fee after the 3 months? So it would be like a penalty fee then?

I suppose 80 Euro for a 1.1m dish is very reasonable. Does that include the feedhorn? The 2 dishes I've bought were supplied with the feedhorn so I presume they were fairly matched. From my experience, changing the cabling (I have a 25m run) from the existing cheap and thin standard cable to a high quality, shielded German much thicker cable improved the signal quality (strength remained the same). When I changed the LNB to the Invacom the improvements were much greater. I was well satisfied with that purchase. In fact, I will order another one as a spare in case mine melts in the Italian heat.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Ciao,

So regarding the Multiroom, you'd have to pay the normal subcription fee AND the multiroom fee after the 3 months? So it would be like a penalty fee then?

I suppose 80 Euro for a 1.1m dish is very reasonable. Does that include the feedhorn? The 2 dishes I've bought were supplied with the feedhorn so I presume they were fairly matched. From my experience, changing the cabling (I have a 25m run) from the existing cheap and thin standard cable to a high quality, shielded German much thicker cable improved the signal quality (strength remained the same). When I changed the LNB to the Invacom the improvements were much greater. I was well satisfied with that purchase. In fact, I will order another one as a spare in case mine melts in the Italian heat.
that makes perfect sense !
the thinner the cable conductor(s) the higher the line resistance
the higher the line resistance the more the signal db drop at the device.
using thin cable makes no sense because surely the price difference isnt that much, and if it might be there is the knowledge that it will be a one off.
there is also a drop of abt 3db every time you put a connector in the line, so use a single run of cable and don't try to join it. some connectors can give you an even higher db drop.

rgds
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:02 am
Just Joined

sounds like a single thick cable is the way to go then.

Duffer - yes, after 3 months you have to pay multiroom fee (c.£10) plus a regular subscription fee (c.£25, depending what channels you get), in addition to whatever your subscription is in the UK. Think its a penalty/admission by sky that they know you've got two accounts running from the same account but at different addresses.

next step is investigating dish prices in uk vs italy. assume they're pretty similar, if not i'll have to pay for it as an oversized item on my flight from the UK
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

realised that to activate my sky box and pair it with my new multiroom viewing card, i'll need to plug it all in at my uk home (i.e. to the phone line) to update the software, etc.

once i've done this, will it be ready to plug in and use in italy? think it will.

found a local satellite installer about 50m from my house, so i'm hoping with my dishpointer info on angles, etc, and my specific equipment request i should be up and running in a couple of weeks.

thanks for all the advice
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattinMilan
sounds like a single thick cable is the way to go then.

Duffer - yes, after 3 months you have to pay multiroom fee (c.£10) plus a regular subscription fee (c.£25, depending what channels you get), in addition to whatever your subscription is in the UK. Think its a penalty/admission by sky that they know you've got two accounts running from the same account but at different addresses.

next step is investigating dish prices in uk vs italy. assume they're pretty similar, if not i'll have to pay for it as an oversized item on my flight from the UK
survey published a couple of weeks ago (by Which IIRC) that confirmed my thoughts - a SCART lead that costs £4.99 is no better, no worse performer than the SCART lead with gold plated connections and supposed gold wires at £35.99 or more.
Gold just looks and sounds good when talking about it.
performance is identical.

just a thought.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:15 pm
Pull my finger

Usually, the card will need to be paired if you have some of the premium channels otherwise it can be simply activated over the phone (Skype or Voip) here in Italy.

Just tell the guy to point the dish at 28.2E and look for Astra 2.

This are the settings for the box -

•Frequency (GHz) 11.778
•Polarisation V
•Symbol Rate (Mbaud) 27.5
•FEC 2/3

Let us know how you get on with the installation, size of dish, reception report, etc. as it could be helpful for others.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Snickter is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if English Sky in Italy will be affected when England goes digital in April?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:38 am
Pull my finger

Nothing will happen to Sky UK as it's already a digital satellite service. It's only the traditional terrestrial set top signal that's switching over from analogue (I wrote anal) to digital.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing will happen to Sky UK as it's already a digital satellite service. It's only the traditional terrestrial set top signal that's switching over from analogue (I wrote anal) to digital.
Duffer - I watch English tv on Astra 28 with dish/decoder - will this be affected in April ? (please remember that I am really really thick about all things technological )
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:42 pm
Pull my finger

Yeah I know Patty. However, if you're using Freesat or Sky UK equipment, you're already watching digital UK TV and therefore will be unaffected by the switchover. It's impossible to view the UK analogue broadcasts here in Italy in any case.

What's happening now in the UK is the switchover from the old terrestrial analogue signal of the 'normal' BBC, ITV, etc. channels to a digital only signal. It's the same as what happened here in Italy a couple of years ago. So it only affects the way you watch the non-satellite TV. I suppose the only people here in Italy that would be affected are those who are watching via a slingbox connected to a standard non-digital TV.

In other words, people in the UK will need a digital decoder set top box for their old cathode ray TV or buy a new TV with built in digital terrestrial.

So we can give credit to Italy for once, for being one of the first, if not the first, countries in Europe to switch off the analogue signal and go digital only.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

peter cotgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

duffers can you tell me how to get uk sky in algerho sardinia regards peter
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:37 am
Pull my finger

yeah, read the forum
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:58 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter cotgrove
duffers can you tell me how to get uk sky in algerho sardinia regards peter
Welcome to BE.

yeah, read the forum
Having a bad morning, Duffer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.